Probably gonna get an Odyssey...

Old February 21st 07, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

Default Probably gonna get an Odyssey...

I have the run flat tires and I know I will be unhappy the day I need to buy
new tires, if I get a flat and don't need to change it..... that will be a
happy day.

oups.com...

Old February 21st 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In article et>,
"Art" > wrote:

> I have the run flat tires and I know I will be unhappy the day I need to buy
> new tires, if I get a flat and don't need to change it..... that will be a
> happy day.

And it will be a sad day when snowy weather hits and you realize you
don't even have the OPTION of buying snow tires, that you're stuck with
tires that are by definition a compromise.

Nokian WR are the best tires for the average sedan/minivan, and yet the
Odyssey with run-flats doesn't give you the option of having them.
Looks like that whole "minivan safety" thing goes right out the door
there.

With cell phones and roadside assistance programs everywhere, run-flat
tires don't offer much if anything to the driver. The only thing they
offer is to the manufacturer: they can save the weight and expense and
storage area of a spare tire.

When was the last time you changed a tire? I believe for me it was,
let's see, 17 years ago--on an old van, and that was owned by my
employer.

And so what if you can drive on the run-flats? At up to 50mph for a
limited time. Gee, that gets you, what--off the freeway? Then what?
NOBODY can change out a run-flat; you're stuck WAITING FOR THE TOW TRUCK
to take you to a freaking HONDA dealer somewhere, where you're forced to
wait up to several days (yeah, that's right) for a damn tire!

Or you could wait at the side of the road, safe in your vehicle, waiting
for the tow truck you called with your cell phone--so he can either
change the flat for you, or tow you to the nearest facility that can
sell you a new tire and get you on your way.

Your wife would be ****ED if you stuck her with a vehicle that, when the
tire went flat, the only option was to hit the dealer and wait at least
overnight to get a freaking tire changed. Yeah, she was able to drive
to the next exit without damaging the rim--WHOOO HOOOO!

Old February 21st 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

All your points are good and given a choice I probably would not pay for the
run flat tires. I live in central NC and snow is not an issue but I have
noticed that wet traction is not the greatest with these tires. On the
other hand, there have been many accidents here when people have been
changing tires on the inadequate highways... several deaths in the last
year within my tv news area..... so being able to get off the highway is an
advantage of sorts.