93 civic (PLEASE HELP)

Old February 14th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
st1r

Default 93 civic (PLEASE HELP)

Im having a problm with my rpm jumping around then the car dies

Old February 14th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alphalanos[_2_]

Need more info. Get the codes scanned.

--
alphalanos
alphalanos's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=34853

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 15th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"st1r" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> Im having a problm with my rpm jumping around then the car dies

Fluctuating idle is usually one of two things:
1) Great big air leak (often the Fast Idle Thermo Valve), or
2) Low coolant.

Start by checking the fluid level in the RAD with the car COLD. If that's
OK, remove the air cleaner pipe amd cover the LOWER port in the throttle
body with your fingers. Does the idle settle down?

More detail about your car would help a lot.
* When exactly this "jumping" occurs
* Mileage
* Transmission type
* Car's history
* Recent work preformed
* Recently neglected maintenance items
* etc.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 15th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

st1r wrote:

> Im having a problm with my rpm jumping around then the car dies

My first guess is a bad igniter.
Old February 15th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"High Tech Misfit" > wrote
> st1r wrote:
>
>> Im having a problm with my rpm jumping around then the
>> car dies

> My first guess is a bad igniter.

Likewise. But definitely do the checks Tegger gave. My next
candidate for the cause of the problem is the ignition coil.
See Tegger's great site at the following link for more help
with these, especially checking the igniter and coil:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun

Old February 15th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in news:%BPAh.2296
:

> "High Tech Misfit" > wrote
>> st1r wrote:
>>
>>> Im having a problm with my rpm jumping around then the
>>> car dies

>> My first guess is a bad igniter.

> Likewise.

It could be, but the the OP's description is hopelessly vague. Igniters
usually fail outright, resulting in a stall, then a later restart.

He hasn't got a tach unless he's got an Si or has installed one himself, so
his description of the RPM jumping" might actually be "bucking".

And if it's bucking, then it could be a whole pile of things from bad wires
to a bad coil to who knows what else. How long does it jump/buck before it
dies? We do not know. Does it happen hot, cold, or during warmup? We do not
know.

We're all guessing here until he comes up with a better description of the
symptoms.

Old February 15th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

About four months ago, I bought a $200 '82 Civic parts car that ran. In
fact, it would start up everytime but before it warmed to operating
temperature, it would "buck" violently. The colder the weather, the
worse the problem.

My overall experience kept whispering, "vacuum advance, vacuum advance."
Finally, I disconnected the hose to the advance, plugged it with a
bolt and the car ran great! So much so, it is registered and a daily
driver.

It does have an issue... Low compression on #2 cylinder of 100 psi with
the blow by to boot. I see a ring job in the not-so-far future as
otherwise, this car is very dependable and even though it has a weak
cylinder, it still has good power in spite of consuming a quart of oil
every 300 miles.

Sometimes, the solution is like a snake ready to strike...

JT

Old February 18th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Sparky Spartacus

alphalanos wrote:
> Need more info. Get the codes scanned.

The model & year might be useful as well.

You do have a Honda, right?

Cheap, reliable used Civic? Finding cheap/reliable Civic to last 3 years? [email protected] Honda 38 April 10th 06 12:27 PM
would a gear box out of a 95 civic SOHC fot a 97 civic coupe SOHC? civic_coupe Honda 0 August 2nd 05 03:58 PM
Installing Alpine CDM-s620 and civic 99 radio/headunit in 90 civic wagon Theodore Chan Honda 2 April 21st 05 03:34 AM
88 Civic - PCV? Eric Honda 2 March 15th 05 02:44 AM
Honda Civic Dx special edition vs Civic Dx? Prelude Honda 0 February 4th 05 10:15 PM