EGR Question

Old October 10th 05, 03:02 AM
2.3Sleeper

Default EGR Question

I have a code: Insufficient flow to EGR. Do I need to just clean the EGR?
Replace it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Don Manning

Old October 10th 05, 03:08 AM
Ritz

2.3Sleeper wrote:
> I have a code: Insufficient flow to EGR. Do I need to just clean the EGR?
> Replace it?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
> Don Manning

The pintle of the EGR is either fouled with carbon or (less likely) the
passage in the manifold is fouled with carbon. Take the EGR off and
make sure that passage is clear. Personally, I'd replace the EGR, but
you can try to clean it up with carb cleaner and replace it. Don't
forget to use a new gasket.

Also, did you check the relevant vacuum lines to make sure one isn't
broken? You don't mention which year/engine you have. Some of them
have annoying vacuum line "trees" that can fail and cause this code.

Cheers,

Old October 10th 05, 03:23 AM
Rick Olive

Ritz wrote:

> 2.3Sleeper wrote:
>
>> I have a code: Insufficient flow to EGR. Do I need to just clean the
>> EGR? Replace it?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Don Manning

> The pintle of the EGR is either fouled with carbon or (less likely) the
> passage in the manifold is fouled with carbon. Take the EGR off and
> make sure that passage is clear. Personally, I'd replace the EGR, but
> you can try to clean it up with carb cleaner and replace it. Don't
> forget to use a new gasket.
>
> Also, did you check the relevant vacuum lines to make sure one isn't
> broken? You don't mention which year/engine you have. Some of them
> have annoying vacuum line "trees" that can fail and cause this code.
>
> Cheers,

If replacing or cleaning the 'small' stuff doesn't work and you don't
have a vacuum leak be ready to yank the intake manifold and clean out
the passages ($$$$$$ at a shop if you're not DIY). Also, be VERY careful
working with vacuum lines. Some lines turn brittle and connect to
components that tend to turn brittle over the years and the nipples will
break off (again $$$$ for emissions parts).

Good luck!
Old October 10th 05, 04:44 AM
Jim Warman

If the car has a DPFE sensor, this sensor is the most likley suspect.
Testing with a DMM and a hand vacuum pump can be performed...

om...

Old October 10th 05, 05:39 AM
Ritz

I thought the DPFE sensor was a common failure item in the Taurus V6.
If he's got a V6 Mustang, that may be the problem or the aforementioned
vacuum tree).

Cheers,

Old October 10th 05, 04:32 PM
JohnV@nn

I pulled off the EGR, throttle body and EGR spacer, and found the
passages inside the spacer to be almost completely blocked with black
crap. I mean like 99% blocked. It's amazing anything was flowing thru
there at all. I spent some time and cleaned it out (used a whole can
of carb cleaner), and even after cleaning that and cleaning the EGR, I
still had EGR codes. I finally replaced the EGR valve and codes went
away.

But even if you replace the EGR valve I would recommend pulling the
spacer and check it for build-up.

John

Old October 11th 05, 04:41 AM
2.3Sleeper

Actually, it is not on a Mustang. It is one a 2001 CV.

Don Manning

om...

Old October 12th 05, 09:25 PM
SVTKate

Hey!
When did you get back?
What did you do?
What did you see?

om...
:

Old October 13th 05, 05:14 AM
2.3Sleeper

Well Kate...a lot of things fell through, a lot of things went bad. We did
not quite accomplish what we thought we were going to, which was actually
get down there. So much crap has happened up here business wise that I might
as well have been out on an extended trip. A few others that were going with
us made it though and are currently working as police officers with the
tarnished NOPD.

We sure had fun blowing $700 at the Army surplus store though.

I will try and fill you in on it a little bit later.

Don

link.net...

Old October 16th 05, 04:45 AM
KJKate

Well kid...
be careufl.
Glad you're having fun

"2.3Sleeper" > wrote in message
. ..
: Well Kate...a lot of things fell through, a lot of things went bad. We did
: not quite accomplish what we thought we were going to, which was actually
: get down there. So much crap has happened up here business wise that I
might
: as well have been out on an extended trip. A few others that were going
with
: us made it though and are currently working as police officers with the
: tarnished NOPD.
:
: We sure had fun blowing $700 at the Army surplus store though.
:
: I will try and fill you in on it a little bit later.
:
: Don
:
:
: "SVTKate" > wrote in message
: link.net...
: > Hey!
: > When did you get back?
: > What did you do?
: > What did you see?
: >
: >
: > "2.3Sleeper" > wrote in message
: > om...
: > :I have a code: Insufficient flow to EGR. Do I need to just clean the
EGR?
: > : Replace it?
: > :