No dash/rear lights on 97 Suzuki Sidekick

Old January 5th 04, 10:06 PM
sdlomi2

"Brian Pipa" > wrote in message
r.com...
> Well, I can't figure out what the problem is. I guess I'll take it to a
> mechanic. For something like this, is it better to take it to the dealer
> or to a good local mechanic?
>
> --
> ---
> MP3 Automagic CD Cover Creator
> http://maccc.filenabber.com

Hi, Brian. If u know a good local mechanic who's good in electricals,
he'd be usually cheaper. In our 3-town area, the new-car dealers all send
their "we couldn't fix it at the dealership electrics" to one local
independent mech--best around. Better believe I quickly made a personal
friend here!
Also, car mfg's. usually put dash and taillites on same fuse/circuit so
driver is warned when his taillites fail by the lack of lite in his dash.
HTH & good luck, sdlomi

Old January 8th 04, 11:01 PM
Brian Pipa

(for those not familiar with my situation, I included my original post
at the bottom of this one)

Well, I took it to my local mechanic and he said the combination switch
is bad. He called the Suzuki dealer and it's $652 new (special order
too). I poked around online and found a used one for ~$150 shipped (with
90 day warranty).

He said they tried splicing the tail and dash wire into the headlight
feed and that seemed to work, but he didn't know if doing something like
that would work as a permanent solution. He said he wasn't sure if
adding the additional draw from the dash and tail-lights onto the
headlight path would blow the headlight power feed.

I looked on ebay and found some combination switches for other cars
and it looks like it is the part that has the turn signals on it and is
mounted just behind the steering wheel (on the column).

Would it be worth my while to call around to some local scrap/junk yards
and try to get one? is $150 shipped for a used one with 90-day warranty
a good price?

Any thoughts/advice would be most welcome. I REALLY don't want to spend
$650+ on this but I really know nothing about this. I definitely want to
get this fixed somehow though since the car only has 40K miles on it.

Help! Please post replies instead of emailing. Thanks!

Brian

--
---

Old January 8th 04, 11:01 PM
Brian Pipa

--
---

Old January 8th 04, 11:08 PM
Brian Pipa

One more question. Anyone know if a combination switch from a Geo
Tracker of the same year would work? I am almost positive that their
parts are interchangeable - anyone know if this includes the
comabination switch?

I found four switches for Geo Trackers for $39-$60 - much cheaper than
the $113 for the Sidekick one.

Brian

--
---

Old January 11th 04, 06:26 AM
zippy

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:08:39 GMT, Brian Pipa

-
-I found four switches for Geo Trackers for $39-$60 - much cheaper
than
-the $113 for the Sidekick one.
-
-Brian

Yes it would. They are the same vehicle with a different badge.

I drive a 92 Geo tracker, and when I looked for parts the Chevy
dealer referred me to Suzuki to see if I could get a better price, who
referred me back to the Chevy dealer because the Suzuki price was way
more expensive,

Ian

Old January 11th 04, 06:26 AM
zippy