Temp Light

Old January 6th 09, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

Default Temp Light

I have a 2001 C5 Coupe and we are having hard time seeing
the dim AC display that shows temp. I can turn up the dash
lights to max and the display is still hard to see in the daylight.

Is there a lamp and can it be replaced?
Old January 6th 09, 02:41 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
.. .
>I have a 2001 C5 Coupe and we are having hard time seeing
> the dim AC display that shows temp. I can turn up the dash
> lights to max and the display is still hard to see in the daylight.
>
> Is there a lamp and can it be replaced?

There is a sensor in the dash that detects light levels in the car and
adjusts the display light level accordingly. If it is dirty or
partially
blocked it can mess with you? Don't have the manual anymore to tell
you were or which one it is, sorry.

On my '98 I thought I had the same problem that turned out to be
the dash light dimmer was adjusted to a point where you manually
turn on the interior lights, so the display would change light levels
by itself with the motion of the car. They fixed that on the C6 and
put it where you could bump it with your knee and turn on the interior
lights and run the battery down.

Then there is always part number 16254311 AC Control and or check all
of the connections for corrosion or being loose. The only manuals I
have now is for the C6 or the '64 or I'd send you a PDF. ;-))

Old January 6th 09, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
FBNE[_2_]

aRKay wrote:
> I have a 2001 C5 Coupe and we are having hard time seeing
> the dim AC display that shows temp. I can turn up the dash
> lights to max and the display is still hard to see in the daylight.
>
> Is there a lamp and can it be replaced?

If you tap on it and it gets brighter or just need a one hour project
try this.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...splay-fix.html

I fixed mine with a simple re-solder on the board, nothing fancy, just
be patient.

FBNE
Old January 6th 09, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article >,
FBNE > wrote:

> aRKay wrote:
> > I have a 2001 C5 Coupe and we are having hard time seeing
> > the dim AC display that shows temp. I can turn up the dash
> > lights to max and the display is still hard to see in the daylight.
> >
> > Is there a lamp and can it be replaced?

> If you tap on it and it gets brighter or just need a one hour project
> try this.
> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ol-dim-dark-di
> splay-fix.html
>

> I fixed mine with a simple re-solder on the board, nothing fancy, just
> be patient.
>
> FBNE

Thanks..... sounds too hard to get the unit opened up to resolder the
connections.
Old January 8th 09, 01:58 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article
aRKay > wrote:

> In article >,
> FBNE > wrote:
>
> > aRKay wrote:
> > > I have a 2001 C5 Coupe and we are having hard time seeing
> > > the dim AC display that shows temp. I can turn up the dash
> > > lights to max and the display is still hard to see in the daylight.
> > >
> > > Is there a lamp and can it be replaced?

> > If you tap on it and it gets brighter or just need a one hour project
> > try this.
> > http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...trol-dim-dark-
> > di
> > splay-fix.html
> >

> > I fixed mine with a simple re-solder on the board, nothing fancy, just
> > be patient.
> >
> > FBNE

> Thanks..... sounds too hard to get the unit opened up to resolder the
> connections.

Mine got so dim today it has to be fixed. It is 90% apart out in the
garage. Got too dark and I could not see. I have the console out and
the bezel loose. Going to pull the unit tomorrow and take to my son's
shop where he has a guy that works on surface mount stuff. I would
rather have him do the repairs. Wish me luck getting Humpty-Dumpty
back together again.
Old January 8th 09, 02:06 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
FBNE[_2_]

aRKay wrote:
> In article
> >,
> aRKay > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> FBNE > wrote:

>>> If you tap on it and it gets brighter or just need a one hour project
>>> try this.
>>> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...trol-dim-dark-
>>> di
>>> splay-fix.html
>>>

>>> I fixed mine with a simple re-solder on the board, nothing fancy, just
>>> be patient.
>>>
>>> FBNE

>> Thanks..... sounds too hard to get the unit opened up to resolder the
>> connections.

> Mine got so dim today it has to be fixed. It is 90% apart out in the
> garage. Got too dark and I could not see. I have the console out and
> the bezel loose. Going to pull the unit tomorrow and take to my son's
> shop where he has a guy that works on surface mount stuff. I would
> rather have him do the repairs. Wish me luck getting Humpty-Dumpty
> back together again.

Be sure to tell him, when he hits the loose one, it will pop off the
board! Just like the directions on the website warned. Take the web
pictures of the board with you. Mine was 8 block resistors, I wouldn't
have recognized them as resistors w/o the pix. No big deal, just keep
on eye on where it goes. It was really simple and a quick fix to an
annoying problem. You might consider going one step further and replace
the flasher unit. Two weeks after I did this repair the flasher quit
and I had to dismantle the darn console again.
Let us know how it turns out.

FBNE
Old January 8th 09, 10:18 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article >,
FBNE > wrote:

> aRKay wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > aRKay > wrote:

> >> Thanks..... sounds too hard to get the unit opened up to resolder the
> >> connections.

> > Mine got so dim today it has to be fixed. It is 90% apart out in the
> > garage. Got too dark and I could not see. I have the console out and
> > the bezel loose. Going to pull the unit tomorrow and take to my son's
> > shop where he has a guy that works on surface mount stuff. I would
> > rather have him do the repairs. Wish me luck getting Humpty-Dumpty
> > back together again.

> Be sure to tell him, when he hits the loose one, it will pop off the
> board! Just like the directions on the website warned. Take the web
> pictures of the board with you. Mine was 8 block resistors, I wouldn't
> have recognized them as resistors w/o the pix. No big deal, just keep
> on eye on where it goes. It was really simple and a quick fix to an
> annoying problem. You might consider going one step further and replace
> the flasher unit. Two weeks after I did this repair the flasher quit
> and I had to dismantle the darn console again.
> Let us know how it turns out.
>
> FBNE

Thanks for the tip... I am still waiting for light to tackle unplugging
the cigar lighter and removing the bezel. It got too dark and I did not
know what I was doing. Removing the bezel is a PITA.

Just before mine went out of warranty I had to have the flasher
replaced. Really weird failure as I recall .... one turn signal failed.
I would have never guessed that to be a flasher issue.
Old January 8th 09, 08:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

In article
aRKay > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> aRKay > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > FBNE > wrote:

> > > If you tap on it and it gets brighter or just need a one hour project
> > > try this.
> > > http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ontrol-dim-dar
> > > k-
> > > di
> > > splay-fix.html
> > >

> > > I fixed mine with a simple re-solder on the board, nothing fancy, just
> > > be patient.
> > >
> > > FBNE

> > Thanks..... sounds too hard to get the unit opened up to resolder the
> > connections.

> Mine got so dim today it has to be fixed. It is 90% apart out in the
> garage. Got too dark and I could not see. I have the console out and
> the bezel loose. Going to pull the unit tomorrow and take to my son's
> shop where he has a guy that works on surface mount stuff. I would
> rather have him do the repairs. Wish me luck getting Humpty-Dumpty
> back together again.

FBNE.... Thank you, thank you and thanks again. It is fixed!!!!!

I followed the procedure and the hard part was getting the damn GM
connectors apart. Once I had the unit out the car, I opened it up and
the solder joints looked okay (to me). I carried it over to someone that
works with surface mounted parts and he re-soldered all eight resisters
and cleaned everything. Mounted it in the car and the display was back
bright as it could be. The only hard part of getting everything back
together again was getting the connector attached to the fuel door
latch. GM could have given us an extra inch of wire.

The temp display now looks normal/normal.

Thanks again!!!!

Temp Warning Light Andre Audi 18 June 5th 08 02:42 PM
E36 (K reg) Temp. overheat light BMCrazy BMW 10 October 25th 06 06:35 PM
2000 TDI Eng Temp Light Terray Wood VW water cooled 1 May 5th 06 03:03 AM
temp light flashing Linda Saturn 6 April 22nd 06 04:26 PM
temp light on Linda Technology 3 April 19th 06 03:31 AM