1999 Ford Mustang

Old December 24th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Redstang66

Default 1999 Ford Mustang

Okay I am having a problem that has plagues me for about 80000 miles
and nobody can give me a clue including Ford. When my engine is warm
and stuck at a standstill in idle it misses horribly like it is about
to die. Occasionally at lights the tach jumps from 800 to a grand and
then back down to 800. I have recently replaced the plugs, pcv valve,
and fuel filter. It is also particularly bad after I park it for an
hour or so come back and start it and back up. I have run Seafoam
through the gas and also directly through the manifold. Any help is
gratly appreciated. Thanks,

Ned

Old December 24th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Stefani Bowers

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 07:31:09 -0800, Redstang66 wrote:

> Okay I am having a problem that has plagues me for about 80000 miles
> and nobody can give me a clue including Ford. When my engine is warm
> and stuck at a standstill in idle it misses horribly like it is about
> to die. Occasionally at lights the tach jumps from 800 to a grand and
> then back down to 800. I have recently replaced the plugs, pcv valve,
> and fuel filter. It is also particularly bad after I park it for an
> hour or so come back and start it and back up. I have run Seafoam
> through the gas and also directly through the manifold. Any help is
> gratly appreciated. Thanks,
>
> Ned

IAC motor.....
Look he

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1448900/tm.htm

Could also be the EGR valve not seating correctly.
Remove it and clean the pintel (carefully!! do NOT spray carb cleaner all
over it because you will ruin the diaphragm).

Also clean the intake ports under the EGR valve. You CAN spray carb
cleaner in there.

One last thing, ditch the SeaFoam...
Old December 24th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Redstang66

What should I use to clean the fuel system

Old December 24th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Stefani Bowers

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:14:11 -0800, Redstang66 wrote:

> What should I use to clean the fuel system

If you use a good brand of gasoline you shouldn't have to because the top
tier gasoline has additives in it already.
However, a bottle of Techron or STP Fuel Injector Cleaner (the black
bottle)once in a while won't harm anything.

If you have a severe carbon problem, on an older not well maintained motor
a treatment with GM Top Engine Cleaner will work wonders.
Be sure to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER and understand you will
generate smoke out the tailpipe like you have never seen.
This is normal.

Make sure to change your oil and filter after the treatment.

This is a last resort BTW.

Ford may have their own version of the stuff.
I don't know.

Old December 24th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Redstang66

Thanks and I cleaned the Throttle body and IAC motor and it is idling a
ton better almost like new. Thanks so much for the help

Old January 25th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Redstang66

Okay guys I did all the common causes for surging idles and everything.
My TPS was at 1 not .97-.99 would it make that much difference. Also
could any of these parts gone bad like the TPS or IAC. Any more ideas?