question about front end parts for E34

Old June 19th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default question about front end parts for E34

My 95 525i is approaching 100,000 miles and the shimmy
is here. Ebay carries ads for thrust arms, bushings, etc.
by a company called FCP Groton. The prices are unusually
low compared to dealer and OEM numbers. Anybody tried any
of these kits? I guess I'm worried that the bushings are cheap
and will have to be replaced quickly. They're supposed to come
with M5 or 750il bushings to offer tighter feel for the front end.
Old June 19th 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> My 95 525i is approaching 100,000 miles and the shimmy
> is here. Ebay carries ads for thrust arms, bushings, etc.
> by a company called FCP Groton. The prices are unusually
> low compared to dealer and OEM numbers. Anybody tried any
> of these kits? I guess I'm worried that the bushings are cheap
> and will have to be replaced quickly. They're supposed to come
> with M5 or 750il bushings to offer tighter feel for the front end.

I'd try a new centre tie rod before the bushings.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old June 19th 06, 08:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

fcp has a bad rep for parts that last 1/4 as long as Lemforder.
Ebay sets of fcp and the like look nice and affordable, but you'll need them
every 20k miles.
"bmaparts.com or bavauto.com and use the bmw CCA discount"
that is good advice.
go to this site (the ultimate e34 site) and search FCP, you will find many,
many dissatisfied users of the ebay kits.

My advice after owning an e34 540 that had a shimmy, Spend the $ up front,
get Lemforder or other top notch parts, and do it ONCE, it will save you a
lot of $$ in the long run!

Old June 20th 06, 03:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Enoch Root wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:33:52 -0500, mothboy wrote:
>

>>My 95 525i is approaching 100,000 miles and the shimmy
>>is here. Ebay carries ads for thrust arms, bushings, etc.
>>by a company called FCP Groton. The prices are unusually
>>low compared to dealer and OEM numbers. Anybody tried any
>>of these kits? I guess I'm worried that the bushings are cheap
>>and will have to be replaced quickly. They're supposed to come
>>with M5 or 750il bushings to offer tighter feel for the front end.

> FCP Groton is just a distributor. You kind of have to know who the
> manufacturer of the part is to figure out if it will hold up. If they
> sell a good part for a decent price, then they should be fine. I've read
> other folks have come out ok with that distributor. I personally use
> bmaparts.com or bavauto.com and use the bmw CCA discount. I have not had
> a chance to order from FCP Groton as of yet.

I bought some E36 control arms from bavauto that were garbage. 15k
miles and the outer joints were toast. They generally don't tell you
who makes their suspension parts, but I suspect they are all Meyle.

--
-Fred W
Old June 20th 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

kaptain kaos wrote:
> fcp has a bad rep for parts that last 1/4 as long as Lemforder.
> Ebay sets of fcp and the like look nice and affordable, but you'll need them
> every 20k miles.
> "bmaparts.com or bavauto.com and use the bmw CCA discount"
> that is good advice.
> go to this site (the ultimate e34 site) and search FCP, you will find many,
> many dissatisfied users of the ebay kits.
>
> My advice after owning an e34 540 that had a shimmy, Spend the $ up front,
> get Lemforder or other top notch parts, and do it ONCE, it will save you a
> lot of $$ in the long run!

what site?

I searched before I bough the FCP Groton parts and could nopt find one
bad word about them. Then I bought them and they were fine.

As I already mentioned in a different post, buying suspension parts from
bavauto is NOT a good idea. And unless the part says the manufacturer I
would not buy them from BMW either.

--
-Fred W
Old June 21st 06, 01:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default question about front end parts for E34 (Fred)

I guess I misread your post.

You're saying the Hamburg Tecnic (FCP) kits are better than the parts
from Bavarian Auto? OK. I'm trying to avoid doing this job again and again. I
got this car 7 years ago with 23,000 miles and there wasn't any noticeable
deterioration until about 70,000...now at 99,000 the shimmy is usually
there at certain speeds. If I can get something solid that will give
me to 30k-40k, or more, I'll be ecstatic

John

Old June 21st 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

wrote:
> I guess I misread your post.
>
> You're saying the Hamburg Tecnic (FCP) kits are better than the parts
> from Bavarian Auto? OK. I'm trying to avoid doing this job again and again. I
> got this car 7 years ago with 23,000 miles and there wasn't any noticeable
> deterioration until about 70,000...now at 99,000 the shimmy is usually
> there at certain speeds. If I can get something solid that will give
> me to 30k-40k, or more, I'll be ecstatic
>
> John

Yes, exactly.

Refer to:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=31&fg=05

The most likely component that you need to replace for the shimmies is
the upper thrust rod bushing (item #8). But the real pain is to get
that bushing off and on, so considering the balljoints have a lot of
miles on them, most people just replace the whole arm. Then, while you
are at it you might as well swap out the lower arms too. That way all
the balljoints and bushings are renewed at the same time.

I would advise paying the extra for the thrust arms with the E32
bushings retrofitted as they are a bit beefier and will last longer for
you. This is what I would buy and install:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E... 34QQtcZphoto

--
-Fred W