6 volt vs 8 volt battery

Old September 30th 05, 03:10 AM
Brother Pat

Default 6 volt vs 8 volt battery

I have a stock 1966 bug with a 6 volt system and a 1300cc engine. I current
have a 6 volt battery which right now needs replacing and in the course of
looking for one (that will fit under the seat), several people have told me
to use an 8 volt battery instead of the volt. Granted it would give me more
cranking power on cold winter mornings, but wouldn't the additional voltage
fry the 6 volt system I have now? Am I being told tall tales or is there
truth in what they're saying?

Old September 30th 05, 03:28 AM
Speedy Jim

Brother Pat wrote:

> I have a stock 1966 bug with a 6 volt system and a 1300cc engine. I current
> have a 6 volt battery which right now needs replacing and in the course of
> looking for one (that will fit under the seat), several people have told me
> to use an 8 volt battery instead of the volt. Granted it would give me more
> cranking power on cold winter mornings, but wouldn't the additional voltage
> fry the 6 volt system I have now? Am I being told tall tales or is there
> truth in what they're saying?

By the time the 8V actually gets to important items,
it will be closer to 6V anyway.

If you can actually source an 8V battery, you will
need to have the Gen regulator re-calibrated.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old September 30th 05, 09:40 AM
Brother Pat

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> Brother Pat wrote:
>
>> I have a stock 1966 bug with a 6 volt system and a 1300cc engine. I
>> current have a 6 volt battery which right now needs replacing and in the
>> course of looking for one (that will fit under the seat), several people
>> have told me to use an 8 volt battery instead of the volt. Granted it
>> would give me more cranking power on cold winter mornings, but wouldn't
>> the additional voltage fry the 6 volt system I have now? Am I being told
>> tall tales or is there truth in what they're saying?

> By the time the 8V actually gets to important items,
> it will be closer to 6V anyway.
>
> If you can actually source an 8V battery, you will
> need to have the Gen regulator re-calibrated.

Re-cabibrate the air gap on the regulator?

Old September 30th 05, 01:42 PM
Tim Rogers

"Brother Pat" > wrote in message
. ..

> Re-cabibrate the air gap on the regulator?

.................Yeah. It was a common practice back during the fifties to
use 8 volts, especially in cold climates. There was a widely understood
method back then to adjust the contacts in a 6 volt regulator.
Unfortunately, nobody knows it anymore except for the few oldtimers that are
still around. To calibrate the regulator as Speedy Jim is suggesting though
could still be done with a multi-meter. Not on a bench neccessarily, but
instead in the bug while the engine is running with the 8 volt battery
installed. My dad used to refuse to do this conversion on 6 volt cars for
his friends and customers back during the sixties when I was a teenager
because he felt that it was a waste of time in a warm climate (I grew up in
central Florida). His theory was that if you needed 8 volts in warm weather,
you were only masking the underlying electrical problems like poor grounding
sites that was the real problem. He'd tell them that he stopped fooling
around with 8 volt batteries when he moved away from NY.

Old October 1st 05, 01:37 PM
Jim Adney

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:10:37 -0400 "Brother Pat"
> wrote:

>I have a stock 1966 bug with a 6 volt system and a 1300cc engine. I current
>have a 6 volt battery which right now needs replacing and in the course of
>looking for one (that will fit under the seat), several people have told me
>to use an 8 volt battery instead of the volt. Granted it would give me more
>cranking power on cold winter mornings, but wouldn't the additional voltage
>fry the 6 volt system I have now? Am I being told tall tales or is there
>truth in what they're saying?

There are a few 8 V batteries out there, generally used on things like
lawn tractors, etc. They have more voltage, but are capable of less
current, and I doubt the total stored energy is as large as in a good
6 V battery.

If you simply install an 8 V battery in a 6 V car it will eventually
turn into a rather weak 6 V battery because it will only get charged
to 6 V (actually 7 V if you really care) because that's where the
voltage regulator is set. So what you get is a fairly discharged 8 V
battery.

It is possible to tweak the VR to put out 8 V, but this means that all
your 6 V electrics will now be getting 8 V. Some things won't mind
this a bit, but any light bulbs will suddenly develop very short
lifetimes and your turn signal flasher will flash really fast.

In the end, it really isn't a solution to anything. If you're having
trouble starting your car, you're much better off figuring out why and
fixing the actual problem.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old October 1st 05, 03:52 PM
Brother Pat

"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message
> "Brother Pat" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> Re-cabibrate the air gap on the regulator?

> ................Yeah. It was a common practice back during the fifties to
> use 8 volts, especially in cold climates. There was a widely understood
> method back then to adjust the contacts in a 6 volt regulator.
> Unfortunately, nobody knows it anymore except for the few oldtimers that
> are
> still around. To calibrate the regulator as Speedy Jim is suggesting
> though
> could still be done with a multi-meter. Not on a bench neccessarily, but
> instead in the bug while the engine is running with the 8 volt battery
> installed.

snip>

You are absolutly correct about the "old timers knowing" trouble is locating
one. I used know how to adjust regulators because my Grandfather showed me,
but like I mentioned that was 30 some odd years ago my memory has totaled
failed me. Two people to "bend the "clappers" until I get the voltage output
up to 9 volts. I asked them which ones, because there are two of them, they
couldn't tell me. I'm not to keen on the trail and erro method but at this
point I have few other options, where would I attach the multi-meter? I open
to all ideas on this one.

Old October 1st 05, 05:49 PM
Speedy Jim

Brother Pat wrote:
> "Tim Rogers" > wrote in message
>
>>"Brother Pat" > wrote in message
t...

>>>Re-cabibrate the air gap on the regulator?

>>................Yeah. It was a common practice back during the fifties to
>>use 8 volts, especially in cold climates. There was a widely understood
>>method back then to adjust the contacts in a 6 volt regulator.
>>Unfortunately, nobody knows it anymore except for the few oldtimers that
>>are
>>still around. To calibrate the regulator as Speedy Jim is suggesting
>>though
>>could still be done with a multi-meter. Not on a bench neccessarily, but
>>instead in the bug while the engine is running with the 8 volt battery
>>installed.

> snip>
>
> You are absolutly correct about the "old timers knowing" trouble is locating
> one. I used know how to adjust regulators because my Grandfather showed me,
> but like I mentioned that was 30 some odd years ago my memory has totaled
> failed me. Two people to "bend the "clappers" until I get the voltage output
> up to 9 volts. I asked them which ones, because there are two of them, they
> couldn't tell me. I'm not to keen on the trail and erro method but at this
> point I have few other options, where would I attach the multi-meter? I open
> to all ideas on this one.

GOOGLE: Bosch + voltage + regulator + adjustment

And here's one for Lucas:
http://www.ponypics.com/spitfire/regulator.html

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 1st 05, 06:48 PM
bug '59

"Jim Adney" > schreef in bericht
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:10:37 -0400 "Brother Pat"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have a stock 1966 bug with a 6 volt system and a 1300cc engine. I
>>current
>>have a 6 volt battery which right now needs replacing and in the course of
>>looking for one (that will fit under the seat), several people have told
>>me
>>to use an 8 volt battery instead of the volt. Granted it would give me
>>more
>>cranking power on cold winter mornings, but wouldn't the additional
>>voltage
>>fry the 6 volt system I have now? Am I being told tall tales or is there
>>truth in what they're saying?

> There are a few 8 V batteries out there, generally used on things like
> lawn tractors, etc. They have more voltage, but are capable of less
> current, and I doubt the total stored energy is as large as in a good
> 6 V battery.
>
> If you simply install an 8 V battery in a 6 V car it will eventually
> turn into a rather weak 6 V battery because it will only get charged
> to 6 V (actually 7 V if you really care) because that's where the
> voltage regulator is set. So what you get is a fairly discharged 8 V
> battery.
>
> It is possible to tweak the VR to put out 8 V, but this means that all
> your 6 V electrics will now be getting 8 V. Some things won't mind
> this a bit, but any light bulbs will suddenly develop very short
> lifetimes and your turn signal flasher will flash really fast.
>
> In the end, it really isn't a solution to anything. If you're having
> trouble starting your car, you're much better off figuring out why and
> fixing the actual problem.
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> Madison, WI 53711 USA

Don't want to butt in the conversation... but,

Isn't a heavier 6v battery just the best solution? Mine is now 77Ah but used
to have, fitted from factory(!), a heavier battery (about 90/100+Ah)
They are used in countries who usually have colder winters. (mine was
Swedisch)

JMHO
Roger

Old October 2nd 05, 12:34 AM
Mike64Bug

In a lot of cases the 8 volt battery is simply making up
for the voltage drop from one or more loose or corroded
connections. When I bought my '64 Bug someone had installed
a "hard start" switch under the back seat. The ignition
switch was fried so I replaced it. I then re-did several
connection on the starter, generator, ignition switch and
headlights.(all of the heavy red wires) When I got through
there was no need for the evil : ) hard start relay or switch.
And there wouldn't have been a need for an 8 volt
battery. Some may find wiring somewhat intimidating
or mysterious but good clean and tight wire connections, including ground
connections, make a big difference. Battery cable connections as well.

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old October 2nd 05, 01:23 AM
John Willis

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:10:37 -0400, "Brother Pat"
> scribbled this interesting note:

>I have a stock 1966 bug with a 6 volt system and a 1300cc engine. I current
>have a 6 volt battery which right now needs replacing and in the course of
>looking for one (that will fit under the seat), several people have told me
>to use an 8 volt battery instead of the volt. Granted it would give me more
>cranking power on cold winter mornings, but wouldn't the additional voltage
>fry the 6 volt system I have now? Am I being told tall tales or is there
>truth in what they're saying?

As others have mentioned, you need to fix the problems, not mask them.
Yes, you can do what you are suggesting, but the underlying problem
will still be there and it will come back to haunt you in the end. Why
not fix it properly?

I don't speak out of turn on this. We have a couple of 1959 Beetles.
In both cases I've found that new grounding straps, cleaning of
electrical connections, replacing of fuses, etc., made all the
problems go away. I finally bought a new battery for one of these
cars. I got a 6V red top Optima battery, mounted it sideways (properly
shielded, of course) and haven't regretted keeping the original 6V
system. It works fine. You just need to properly maintain the vehicle.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 10:38 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 06:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM