96 Aerostar Turn Signal Switch

Old January 28th 05, 12:37 AM
MOJO

Default 96 Aerostar Turn Signal Switch

I just wanted to contribute a little tidbit and maybe someone could
benefit from it. My 96 Aerostar has about 120K miles on it. I had a 91
before it. I loved them for some reason and they never caused me any
problems. The 91 did have some of the notorious rust at that seam on
top of the rear quarter panel on the driver's side. Other than that I
like them. I consider myself lucky. Enough about that. Lately, the turn
signal on the 96 has been acting up a little. First my wife thought the
right rear bulb had burnt out. I took her word for it (mistake) and
bought a new bulb. Of course they didn't have a one pack and I had to
buy two. After installing the bulb, I tried the right turn signal and
it acted a little funny the first time I hit it but after that it was
ok. Two days later, I asked if the turn signal was ok. She didn't
know that I considered it fixed and was cycling it manually. She
started using it normally and I thought everything was ok again. Two
days ago I ask if it is still ok. No. What the heck. I have the manual
and had explored the procedure for the switch replacement. "Steering
column must be removed". Damn it. It is a switch assembly. Emergency
flashers, head lights, turn signals, you get the picture. I then
decided to try a new flasher. What the heck. Maybe the coil was getting
a little weak. The flasher was $10 at AZ. Installed it. That wasn't
the problem. I was getting more nervous as time went on. I felt that
having to cycle it manually was unacceptable and at AZ they told me the
switch was $60 alone. I am seeing big bucks for the replacement. After
some
Googling on the subject and not finding much, I felt that I had nothing
to loose by removing the clam shell over the assembly and trying to
flush something with some contact cleaner. I didn't see much inside.
The only access I saw was where the lever went into the switch. I know
this is lame but I just sprayed inside pretty good and what do you
know. It started working just fine. I love it when a plan comes
together.

Good luck.

MoJo

Turn signal [email protected] BMW 2 January 16th 05 11:04 PM
96 Explorer Turn signal Problem HELP! john Ford Explorer 2 January 10th 05 01:08 AM
Replacing intermittent wiper switch and turn signal Bob Ford Explorer 5 January 8th 05 11:00 PM
Accord blinker turn signal relay clicking FAST when not actuated DBarry Honda 1 January 6th 05 03:04 AM