rFactor review

Old September 6th 05, 02:40 AM
jason moyer

David G Fisher wrote:

> No real multiplayer in RBR.

RBRnet isn't real multiplayer?

The cool thing about RBR, besides the fact that it's an incredible
simulator, is that it's possible for someone relatively skiled at C++
to add almost anything to it.

Old September 6th 05, 01:20 PM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:57:22 GMT, "Jan Verschueren"
> wrote:
>(*): mind if I quote you on the mailing list of a league considering rFactor
>as the vehicle for its next season? -I'm fighting a losing battle and am in
>desperate need of ammo.

Be my guest.

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 6th 05, 01:22 PM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 23:05:25 GMT, Tony Rickard
> wrote:

>Certainly my initial experience with multiplayer has been rock solid.
>Plus following a car it is clear to see if they are on the ragged edge
>(certainly in the trainers) and gain confidence in making a pass when
>the opportunity arises.

What I meant is that I don't see the suspension move, or see the nose
dive while they're braking. I see it with my own car, just not with
the others. Do you see it?

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 6th 05, 07:01 PM
Jan Verschueren

"David G Fisher" wrote...

> Do you have the full version?

No. Indeed, it's worth stressing that my views are based on my impressions
of the demo.

> It looks like I'm driving against the AI in multiplayer.
>
> The demo code is OLD code. That's why it was a multiplayer test demo.

Yes, and unless I'm very much mistaken there is no demo containing the "new"
code. I'm not about to shell out for the game in order to possibly have my
suspicions confirmed. Unless that video you posted is taken from a client
replay from someone having a 250ms ping to the server and using the 56K
bandwidth limit, I'm not taking anyone's word for ISI finally fixing the
multi.

One could make an impressive looking multi replay as far back as F1 2k1, as
only when conditions got a little difficult did problems make themselves
known. Since then it's been "we've nearly cracked it... it'll be fixed in
the next game".

There's a lot more broadband connections out there now and judgement is
bound to suffer from the "shiny new toy"-factor and the rosy spec promise of
a community game. I'm staying right here on this fence until I'm convinced
it's fixed.

Jan.
=---

Old September 6th 05, 08:29 PM
David G Fisher

But you aren't staying on the fence.

You said in another post you are trying to keep your league from switching
to rFactor based on your experiences with the old test code.

How does that make any sense at all?

--
David G Fisher

Old September 6th 05, 08:32 PM
Goy Larsen

Jan Verschueren wrote:

> Yes, and unless I'm very much mistaken there is no demo containing the "new"
> code. I'm not about to shell out for the game in order to possibly have my
> suspicions confirmed.

There's a 48 hour money back guarantee on the full game, I would have
thought that was enough of a "demo" ?

Beers and cheers
(uncle) Goy

"When two or more people are gathered together in my name,
they shall perform the Parrot Sketch..."

--Our Lord John Cleese--
Old September 6th 05, 10:43 PM
Jan Verschueren

"David G Fisher" wrote...
> But you aren't staying on the fence.
>
> You said in another post you are trying to keep your league from
> switching to rFactor based on your experiences with the old test
> code.

Let's just say I feel it nescessary to dampen the enthousiasm for new.

Jan.
=---

Old September 6th 05, 10:44 PM
whooo

Jan Verschueren wrote:
> "David G Fisher" wrote...
>
>>But you aren't staying on the fence.
>>
>>You said in another post you are trying to keep your league from
>>switching to rFactor based on your experiences with the old test
>>code.

> Let's just say I feel it nescessary to dampen the enthousiasm for new.
>
> Jan.
> =---

For Chrissake, it's a excellent sim and costs less than one night on the
beer! Buy it and drive it. Or just stop commenting!
Old September 6th 05, 10:46 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Jan Verschueren" wrote...

> Let's just say I feel it nescessary to dampen the enthousiasm for new.

....toys there. Accidentally deleted part of that sentence and didn't notice.

Jan.
=---

Old September 6th 05, 11:11 PM
Jan Verschueren

"whooo" wrote...
>> <snip>

> For Chrissake, it's a excellent sim and costs less than one night
> on the beer! Buy it and drive it. Or just stop commenting!

Oh, but I'm a great fan of ISI based sims, don't get me wrong. For single
player they're excellent and once mod teams start churning out tracks and RL
carsets for rFactor I'm almost certain to buy it.

I just find it hard to believe what I'm reading these days.

Jan.
=---