1994 Dodge Caravan

Old May 4th 09, 06:51 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Buster52

Default 1994 Dodge Caravan

My Daughter's 1994 Caravan will not shift into overdrive. The Tranny was
rebuilt a couple of months before she bought it. The motor does reach normal
operating temp. What can be the cause?

Buster

Old May 4th 09, 12:49 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
truckdriver

On May 4, 1:51*am, "Buster52" > wrote:
> * * My Daughter's 1994 Caravan will not shift into overdrive. The Tranny was
> rebuilt a couple of months before she bought it. The motor does reach normal
> operating temp. What can be the cause?
>
> Buster

the electronic valve body is the problem real common problem the all
do it and they are not cheap to replace
Old May 4th 09, 01:08 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
James Goforth

Buster wrote:"My Daughter's 1994 Caravan will not shift into overdrive.
The Tranny was rebuilt a couple of months before she bought it. The
motor does reach normal operating temp. What can be the cause?
Buster"

How many miles are on the vehicle, which engine?
Was it a reputable shop that rebuilt it? There are many upgrades
required to be installed into these during a rebuild, including the
controller.
I had all kinds of problems with a 604 when they failed to replace the
controller -- which had undergone at least two upgrades.
In other words, when I finally took it to a reputable shop, they
mentioned that this 'rebuilt transmission' was still using the first
generation controller, where by that time it should be the third -- so
naturally the unit was not compatible with the upgrades hardware
included in the rebuild kit, and wouldn't control it properly.
I'm not saying there's a high probability that's the problem with
yours, just that there are a LOT of upgrades on those, both inside and
out.
Are you sure it's not shifting into overdrive, or if it's the torque
converter lockup not working?

Old May 5th 09, 06:48 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
truckdriver

On May 4, 8:08*am, (James Goforth) wrote:
> Buster wrote:"My Daughter's 1994 Caravan will not shift into overdrive.
>
> The Tranny was rebuilt a couple of months before she bought it. The
> motor does reach normal operating temp. What can be the cause?
> Buster"
>
> * *******************************************
> * How many miles are on the vehicle, which engine?
> * Was it a reputable shop that rebuilt it? *There are many upgrades
> required to be installed into these during a rebuild, including the
> controller.
> * I had all kinds of problems with a 604 when they failed to replace the
> controller -- which had undergone at least two upgrades.
> * In other words, when I finally took it to a reputable shop, they
> mentioned that this 'rebuilt transmission' was still using the *first
> generation controller, where by that time it should be the third -- so
> naturally the unit was not compatible with the upgrades hardware
> included in the rebuild kit, and wouldn't control it properly.
> * I'm not saying there's a high probability that's the problem with
> yours, just that there are a LOT of upgrades on those, both inside and
> out.
> * Are you sure it's not shifting into overdrive, or if it's the torque
> converter lockup not working? *

i replaced many of these transmission with factory rebuilt
transmissions and they too had problems with the electronic valve
bodys with the big computer plug the 604 were noted for the snap rings
breaking and then you know what happens next they go to **** real fast
but they also have problems with the valve body good luck with your
problem .
Old June 13th 09, 02:04 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

Buster52 wrote:
> My Daughter's 1994 Caravan will not shift into overdrive. The
> Tranny was rebuilt a couple of months before she bought it. The motor
> does reach normal operating temp. What can be the cause?

I have one with a similar problem. It seems to overrev in each gear, and doesn't
shift into overdrive. If I drive a few miles, then shut it off and restart it a
minute later, everything works great. One time on the freeway, it went into
neutral - engine just reved up until I let off the gas. Coasted down to 40-45,
then it started working again, but with the no-overdrive, overrevving problem
until I turned it off/on again.

The previous owner had the overdrive solonoid replaced, with no improvement. A
dirfferent shop removed the computer to try a substitute one, and claimed the
problem went away, and stayed away after re-installing the origional one. I
bought it, and the problem came back a few days later.

Could this be a speed sensor or temperature sensor problem? Any other ideas.

Old June 13th 09, 02:07 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Bob F

Bob F wrote:
> Buster52 wrote:
>> My Daughter's 1994 Caravan will not shift into overdrive. The
>> Tranny was rebuilt a couple of months before she bought it. The motor
>> does reach normal operating temp. What can be the cause?

> I have one with a similar problem. It seems to overrev in each gear,
> and doesn't shift into overdrive. If I drive a few miles, then shut
> it off and restart it a minute later, everything works great. One
> time on the freeway, it went into neutral - engine just reved up
> until I let off the gas. Coasted down to 40-45, then it started
> working again, but with the no-overdrive, overrevving problem until I
> turned it off/on again.
> The previous owner had the overdrive solonoid replaced, with no
> improvement. A dirfferent shop removed the computer to try a
> substitute one, and claimed the problem went away, and stayed away
> after re-installing the origional one. I bought it, and the problem
> came back a few days later.
> Could this be a speed sensor or temperature sensor problem? Any other
> ideas.

Oops. 3.3L 3spe w/overdrive.

Old June 13th 09, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
the fly

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:07:52 -0700, "Bob F" >
wrote:

>Bob F wrote:
>> Buster52 wrote:
>>> My Daughter's 1994 Caravan will not shift into overdrive. The
>>> Tranny was rebuilt a couple of months before she bought it. The motor
>>> does reach normal operating temp. What can be the cause?

>> I have one with a similar problem. It seems to overrev in each gear,
>> and doesn't shift into overdrive. If I drive a few miles, then shut
>> it off and restart it a minute later, everything works great. One
>> time on the freeway, it went into neutral - engine just reved up
>> until I let off the gas. Coasted down to 40-45, then it started
>> working again, but with the no-overdrive, overrevving problem until I
>> turned it off/on again.
>> The previous owner had the overdrive solonoid replaced, with no
>> improvement. A dirfferent shop removed the computer to try a
>> substitute one, and claimed the problem went away, and stayed away
>> after re-installing the origional one. I bought it, and the problem
>> came back a few days later.
>> Could this be a speed sensor or temperature sensor problem? Any other
>> ideas.

>Oops. 3.3L 3spe w/overdrive.

Possible worn throttle position sensor, making intermittent
contact.