All 07 3 series come with run flats?

Old October 10th 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

Default All 07 3 series come with run flats?

Is that right?

I thought it was just the sport package, but I think they're on the
base also.

My thinking was stiffer sidewalls would be needed with larger rims of
the sport package, thus necessitating the stiffer run flats. But
maybe that's not right.

My thinking is also that the larger rim with shorter sidewall gives a
much rougher ride than the larger sidewall. So for this reason I was
tending away from the larger sport rims.

But now I read the dreaded run flats are on the base rims also.

Wonder why.

Wonder if they'll change it.

Old October 10th 07, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"kpb" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Is that right?
>
> I thought it was just the sport package, but I think they're on the
> base also.

As no spare tire is included with the E90, all models (including 2007) come
with run-flats as standard. Some are summer performance (sport package) and
some are "all-season" - but all are run-flat.

But I thought you were looking for an E46 coupe...

Tom K.

Old October 10th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
eNautilus

">>
> As no spare tire is included with the E90, all models (including 2007)
> come with run-flats as standard. Some are summer performance (sport
> package) and some are "all-season" - but all are run-flat.

Apparently the trick with these is, when the runflats need to be replaced,
buy a puncture repair kit and the replace the runflats with proper tyres.

Old October 10th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_8_]

"eNautilus" wrote
> Apparently the trick with these is, when the runflats need to be replaced,
> buy a puncture repair kit and the replace the runflats with proper tyres.

Is there no space in the trunk to house a spare? I would just buy a spare
wheel/tire and then switch to non-runflats.

Pete

Old October 10th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

On Oct 10, 11:57 am, "Tom K." > wrote:
> "kpb" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...> Is that right?
>
> > I thought it was just the sport package, but I think they're on the
> > base also.

> As no spare tire is included with the E90, all models (including 2007) come
> with run-flats as standard. Some are summer performance (sport package) and
> some are "all-season" - but all are run-flat.
>
> But I thought you were looking for an E46 coupe...
>
> Tom K.

Well I have my options open. I actually like the looks of the new 328
coupe better. Maybe they'll change to non-run flats next year.

Old October 10th 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"kpb" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Well I have my options open. I actually like the looks of the new 328
> coupe better. Maybe they'll change to non-run flats next year.

I wouldn't count on BMW changing to run-flats as the 2008 3 series continues
with the same tires as the 2006 and 2007 models. Run flats aren't really a
problem although they are more expensive and tend to ride a bit firmer than
conventional tires.

After getting 30,000 problem free miles out of the OEM performance run-flats
on my Z4, I replaced them with conventional Z rated rubber - only because of
the price difference.

Have you driven both the E46 and E90 to compare run-flats vs. conventional
tires?

Tom K.

Old October 10th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
kpb

On Oct 10, 6:14 pm, "Tom K." > wrote:
> "kpb" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Well I have my options open. I actually like the looks of the new 328
> > coupe better. Maybe they'll change to non-run flats next year.

> I wouldn't count on BMW changing to run-flats as the 2008 3 series continues
> with the same tires as the 2006 and 2007 models. Run flats aren't really a
> problem although they are more expensive and tend to ride a bit firmer than
> conventional tires.
>
> After getting 30,000 problem free miles out of the OEM performance run-flats
> on my Z4, I replaced them with conventional Z rated rubber - only because of
> the price difference.
>
> Have you driven both the E46 and E90 to compare run-flats vs. conventional
> tires?
>
> Tom K.

No, I've just heard a lot of people complain about them. And some
said they didn't last very long. I think the new coupe is truly
beautiful, but the older series looks nice too.

How much do regular tires cost? I think run flats are $200. Did you
carry a spare tire in your trunk?

Am I right in thinking that lower sidewalls with larger rims mean a
harsher ride? I just want a sporty, fun to drive car, probably rear
wheel drive...with a good suspension and handling, but not so rigid
that it knocks my fillings out.

Old October 11th 07, 12:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"kpb" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 10, 6:14 pm, "Tom K." > wrote:
>> "kpb" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> > Well I have my options open. I actually like the looks of the new 328
>> > coupe better. Maybe they'll change to non-run flats next year.

>> I wouldn't count on BMW changing to run-flats as the 2008 3 series
>> continues
>> with the same tires as the 2006 and 2007 models. Run flats aren't really
>> problem although they are more expensive and tend to ride a bit firmer
>> than
>> conventional tires.
>>
>> After getting 30,000 problem free miles out of the OEM performance
>> run-flats
>> on my Z4, I replaced them with conventional Z rated rubber - only because
>> of
>> the price difference.
>>
>> Have you driven both the E46 and E90 to compare run-flats vs.
>> conventional
>> tires?
>>
>> Tom K.

> No, I've just heard a lot of people complain about them. And some
> said they didn't last very long. I think the new coupe is truly
> beautiful, but the older series looks nice too.
>
> How much do regular tires cost? I think run flats are $200. Did you
> carry a spare tire in your trunk?

Since the Z4 roadster trunk has only 8.5 cu. ft. of space, I carry a 12v
compressor and plug kit - no spare and no jack.

> Am I right in thinking that lower sidewalls with larger rims mean a
> harsher ride? I just want a sporty, fun to drive car, probably rear
> wheel drive...with a good suspension and handling, but not so rigid
> that it knocks my fillings out.

Then I assume that you don't want the sport package, so the stock coupe
tires are all-season 225/45HR17 run-flats - either Bridgestone Turanza EL42
RFT @$225 each, or Continental ContiProContact SSR @$144 each from Tire Rack
(plus shipping, mounting and balancing). While a number of folks have
complained about the noise from the Bridgestones, the Contis are rated
highly and carry a treadwear rating of 400 - so you might try to have those
tires mounted, rather than the Turanzas.

If you opt for the sport package, the OEM 18" Bridgestone RE050A summer
performance tires provide great handling - but a significant harsher ride.
Tire Rack's price is $282 per front tire and $343 per rear - plus shipping,
mounting and balancing. Naturally, you don't want to drive on these tires
in snow, ice or sub-freezing temperatures.

I strongly suggest a test drive, especially on the Contis.

Tom K.

Old October 11th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike

Yeah, RF tires are on all the new 3 series.

I have a 2006 330xi and it came with Bridgestone RF tires.

I work for Goodyear (who owns Dunlop) so BMW actually was happy to swap out
the runflats for a set of Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. I really like them. I
have had it in the shop for one or two things, and the 3-series loaners,
with runflats, seem harsher to me.

As far as what I do when I get a flat? I also have a set of Borbet rims
with winter tires (GY Ultra Grip G3's) on them (I live north). So I keep
one of those in the trunk in Summer, and one of the originals in the trunk
in winter (when the Borbets go on). Spare sits on the optional rubber BMW
trunk liner (which they threw in as part of deal). I keep the spare
in-place with a tie-down strap which hooks very nicely to the two chrome eye
loops in the front corners of the trunk. Thus the tire sits flat, centered
and snugged up against the front of the trunk, which is the back of the rear
seat. Not fold down seats either, so I think safety is not compromised by
the tire being there. I also bought the BMW jack kit, which I keep in that
smaller storage area under the trunk (where they REALLY should have made
room for a spare tire!).

BMW really should have given the buyer a choice - RF's or regular tires.
After all, it's still a 5-passenger 4-door sedan, NOT a Corvette (where
runflats are mandatory in order to make room in the trunk for your golf
clubs).

But I'm happy with what I have. The 330xi model is a bit heavier in the
front anyway, due to the extra running gear for the 4wd and associated
beefier components (some are steel instead of alum), thus the f/r weight
ratio is a couple more % points weighted towards the front as it is,
compared to the RWD 330i. SO the weight of spare tire and jack kit in back
shifts some of the weight distribution backwards a little bit closer to the
perfect 50/50 (by maybe 1-2 percent). Of course at the expense of an
additional 55lb or so of cargo, but I figure it's worth the balancing act
plus not having to break the bank on replacing a RF tire eventually anyway
if they get a puncture.

It looks like you can actually remove that tub underneath, to give yourself
a bit more room for stuff. But alas, not enuf for a tire.

Mike

ups.com...

Old October 11th 07, 04:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd[_1_]

" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:29:06 -0400, "Pete" >
> wrote:
>

>>"eNautilus" wrote
>>> Apparently the trick with these is, when the runflats need to be
>>> replaced,
>>> buy a puncture repair kit and the replace the runflats with proper
>>> tyres.

>>Is there no space in the trunk to house a spare? I would just buy a spare
>>wheel/tire and then switch to non-runflats.
>>
>>Pete
>>

> There is indeed extra space in the place of the spare, but that little
> cargo bay they built down there under the trubnk is not large enough
> to fit a spare. It's not even round, but a bucket size cargo holder.

Therein lies the problem. You can put non-runflat tires on an E90, but you
won't be able to fit a spare in the trunk unless you want to take up all the
cargo area. You'll also have to come up with the tools to change a flat AND
some sort of inflator. Maybe a can of fix-a-flat too.

Accordingly to some who have done this, the non-run flat tires easily
outperform the runflats.

Hopefully, runflats aren't the 21st Century version of the TRX tire!

car of Yucca Flats LLBrown VW air cooled 4 July 20th 07 03:58 AM
Run-Flats TJB BMW 3 May 13th 06 03:03 PM
C5 - Tire Pressure in Non-Run Flats Mike Corvette 5 May 2nd 06 08:41 PM
Continental Run-flats Tom K. BMW 3 January 16th 06 03:51 PM
Two flats in one day Oppie Saturn 0 March 27th 05 12:33 AM