2004 CRV transmission problem

Old April 28th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gp

Default 2004 CRV transmission problem

I just bought My wife a 2004 CRV ELX with approx 30.000 mikes on it.
Very nice little SUV. After driving it for about a week she mentioned
to me that the brakes seemed to grab just before coming to a stop. I
took it for a spin and what it felt like to me was the transmission
downshifting ?? just before the vehicle stopped. She took it in today
to a dealer and they said it was the transmission and that it would
have to be replaced. No specific detail, just replaced. It is still
under warrenty so no need for me to go postal.
We have two other Honda's and an integra in the family and I am more
than impressed with the quality. Has anyone heard of an issue like
this on CRV transmission. I haven't actually spoke to the dealer but
I will try and provide more info after they replace it next Monday.

Old April 28th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Gp wrote:
> I just bought My wife a 2004 CRV ELX with approx 30.000 mikes on it.
> Very nice little SUV. After driving it for about a week she mentioned
> to me that the brakes seemed to grab just before coming to a stop. I
> took it for a spin and what it felt like to me was the transmission
> downshifting ?? just before the vehicle stopped.

==========================

It sounds like every CR-V I've ever owned. They all shift 'rudely' when
you're coasting to a stop. They will also 'slam' into a gear if you
touch the gas just before that happens.

If your dealer wants to give you another tranny (things may be slow in
his service department) that's OK. Personally, I'd just ask him to run
10 litres of Z1 through it, unless his diagnostic tools have confirmed
there's more to it. I just don't like handing my Hondas over to the
dealer since they had to replace THREE rear differentials to figure out
that it was a bad wheel bearing. :-(

Bozos

'Curly'

Old May 1st 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gp

On Apr 28, 7:34 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> Gp wrote:
> > I just bought My wife a 2004 CRV ELX with approx 30.000 mikes on it.
> > Very nice little SUV. After driving it for about a week she mentioned
> > to me that the brakes seemed to grab just before coming to a stop. I
> > took it for a spin and what it felt like to me was the transmission
> > downshifting ?? just before the vehicle stopped.

> ==========================
>
> It sounds like every CR-V I've ever owned. They all shift 'rudely' when
> you're coasting to a stop. They will also 'slam' into a gear if you
> touch the gas just before that happens.
>
> If your dealer wants to give you another tranny (things may be slow in
> his service department) that's OK. Personally, I'd just ask him to run
> 10 litres of Z1 through it, unless his diagnostic tools have confirmed
> there's more to it. I just don't like handing my Hondas over to the
> dealer since they had to replace THREE rear differentials to figure out
> that it was a bad wheel bearing. :-(
>
> Bozos
>
> 'Curly

Tks.

Got it back today with a new transmission. The service Mgr was not
able to tell me exactly what was wrong, just that it wasn't right.
"one in a million" Said it was being sent back to Honda and that when
they got the report they would send a copy to me. That little
downshift event just prior to stopping is definatly gone. I'm fairly
impressed with the outcome since it didn't cost me anything. I guess
others that might see this and have CRVs should be aware that even
something that seems minor like this did to me, is worth having
checking into.