1987 Audi 5000 Timing Belt

Old October 3rd 04, 03:37 AM
dave

>From: Marti
>
>One more Question:
>
>I have a few sockets for the the big 3/4 extension, but none fits
>the big crankshaft pulley bolt.
>
>So I need to get out and buy 3/4 socket for that bolt.
>
>Anybody recall what the size is?
>(it is for the l987 5000 5 cylinder engine)

Not I :-(

I think I use a 1/2" drive socket and a breaker bar.
I know some of the early 4 cylinders took a 19mm 12 point socket, but I don't
do the 5 cylinders much.

I can try to measure a 1985 A5KS crank sprocket bolt on Monday, if you will
still need the info then.

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old October 3rd 04, 04:01 AM
John Prendergast

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:45:37 GMT, Marti > wrote:

>One more Question:
>
>I have a few sockets for the the big 3/4 extension, but none fits
>the big crankshaft pulley bolt.
>
>So I need to get out and buy 3/4 socket for that bolt.
>
>Anybody recall what the size is?
>(it is for the l987 5000 5 cylinder engine)

It's a 27mm. Like the other poster, I've used a 1/2" socket with a
three foot breaker bar and a three foot section of pole-vaulting pole
at the end of that.

Old October 3rd 04, 12:21 PM
Ian Gaskell

"John Prendergast" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:45:37 GMT, Marti > wrote:
>
> >One more Question:
> >
> >I have a few sockets for the the big 3/4 extension, but none fits
> >the big crankshaft pulley bolt.
> >
> >So I need to get out and buy 3/4 socket for that bolt.
> >
> >Anybody recall what the size is?
> >(it is for the l987 5000 5 cylinder engine)

> It's a 27mm. Like the other poster, I've used a 1/2" socket with a
> three foot breaker bar and a three foot section of pole-vaulting pole
> at the end of that.

I'm an Elecrical Engineer & not very strong. My approach was rather
inelegant maybe, but worked for me. Just an 18" inch breaker bar on 1/2"
27mm
socket and a sledge hammer. It didn't need a massive swing, I did read
somewhere in group archives of removing one of the bellhousing fixing bolts
and inserting it from underneath the car through a hole in the bellhousing
to lock the flywheel when at TDC (or thereabouts ... can't actually
remember.)

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...reeserve.co.uk

I managed to do this and it seemed a more "solid" way of locking the
flywheel than using a cold chisel on the starter ring teeth for my brutal
attack with the sledge hammer.

Good luck however you tackle the job
Ian

Old October 4th 04, 12:34 AM
dave

>From: Marti
>

>I actually want to buy the right size for the excisting 3/4 Drive
>Socket,
>
>John mentioned, it might be a 27mmm bolt, but I don't mind to wait
>'til monday if you want to check the 1985 A5KS.
>
>I realize it might be different for the 1987, but I still
>appreciate the input.
>
>Thanks again,
>marti-

No I think that they should be the same.
I did an Audi 100 and it seemed the same, but different sprockets and timing
belt!

Here is a writeup for a '91 200q20v
http://members.aol.com/audipage/timing.html
You don't have to do all of the body disassembly to my knowledge though!

I will check and let you know what the size is on the 85 5000S!

Old October 4th 04, 11:44 PM
marti

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:15:34 GMT, Marti > wrote:

>I think it finally happened:
>
>While driving, the engine suddenly stopped without any warning
>whatsoever!
>
>And the engine did not restart, slow turnover,
>sounded like a battery getting weak.
>
>The camshaft does not turn anymore.
>
>So, it looks like a broken timing belt.
>
>Question I have:
>
>On this 5 cylinder engine, what is the likelyhood of any collateral
>damage to the engine, valvetrain etc?
>
>Any thoughts?

What size sockets to use:

From "Harborfreight" here in San Diego,
I just bot a 21 Piece 3/4 Metric Heavy Duty Socket set including:
1 Steel Storage Case
1 19 1/2" heat treated steel ratched
1 18" sliding T-Bar
4" and 8" extensions

Chrome plated Socket Sizes (Metric)

19,22,24,26,27,28,30,32,34,36,38,41,42,45,46,48,50 mm
(made in China)

Thought I post this, in case somebody else is
looking for a similar deal.

Thanks to all for all the input!
marti-
Old October 4th 04, 11:47 PM
marti

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:44:57 GMT, marti <Marti >> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:15:34 GMT, Marti > wrote:
>
>>I think it finally happened:
>>
>>While driving, the engine suddenly stopped without any warning
>>whatsoever!
>>
>>And the engine did not restart, slow turnover,
>>sounded like a battery getting weak.
>>
>>The camshaft does not turn anymore.
>>
>>So, it looks like a broken timing belt.
>>
>>Question I have:
>>
>>On this 5 cylinder engine, what is the likelyhood of any collateral
>>damage to the engine, valvetrain etc?
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>

> What size sockets to use:
>
>From "Harborfreight" here in San Diego,
>I just bot a 21 Piece 3/4 Metric Heavy Duty Socket set including:
>1 Steel Storage Case
>1 19 1/2" heat treated steel ratched
>1 18" sliding T-Bar
>4" and 8" extensions
>
>Chrome plated Socket Sizes (Metric)
>
>19,22,24,26,27,28,30,32,34,36,38,41,42,45,46,48,5 0mm
>(made in China)
>
>Thought I post this, in case somebody else is
>looking for a similar deal.
>
>Thanks to all for all the input!
>marti-

sorry, forgot to mention the price:

it was $34.99

Old October 5th 04, 12:00 AM
dave

>From: marti >
>
> What size sockets to use:
>
>From "Harborfreight" here in San Diego,
>I just bot a 21 Piece 3/4 Metric Heavy Duty Socket set including:
>1 Steel Storage Case
>1 19 1/2" heat treated steel ratched
>1 18" sliding T-Bar
>4" and 8" extensions
>
>Chrome plated Socket Sizes (Metric)
>
>19,22,24,26,27,28,30,32,34,36,38,41,42,45,46,48,5 0mm
>(made in China)
>
>Thought I post this, in case somebody else is
>looking for a similar deal.
>
>Thanks to all for all the input!
>marti-

Glad you have it covered! :-)
I did not have a chance to check that 85 5000S since Dad drove it today. :-(

How much was this Socket set?

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved? John Prendergast Audi 4 September 9th 04 04:23 PM
Timing belt on 1996 2.8 Wayne Mak Audi 6 September 6th 04 02:38 PM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM
Cam belt break down on A4 - DON'T BUY AUDI ANYMORE !!! John Smith Audi 5 July 21st 04 11:02 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM