1989 Honda Civic DX HB

Old May 1st 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1989 Honda Civic DX HB

Hi i was wondering if anyone could solve my problem ....

i have a 1989 honda civic with 150 000 km and it is burning oil like
crazy 4 litres a week i think. When i floor the gas there is a cloud
of grey smoke, but not all the time?.......

would it be the PCV valve thing?? what does it look like?

or is it something more severe?

Thanks for your time.

Old May 1st 07, 07:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Apr 30, 11:36 pm, wrote:
> Hi i was wondering if anyone could solve my problem ....
>
> i have a 1989 honda civic with 150 000 km and it is burning oil like
> crazy 4 litres a week i think. When i floor the gas there is a cloud
> of grey smoke, but not all the time?.......
>
> would it be the PCV valve thing?? what does it look like?
>
> or is it something more severe?
>
> Thanks for your time.

and it dosent have much power

Old May 2nd 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Speedy Pete wrote:
> Honda is known for their cast rings

do you know any manufacturer that doesn't cast piston rings?

> that do not have a long service life.

there are cases where honda rings crack and leak. but many honda motors
routinely last 300k+ miles with no problems. my old crx was at 306k,
ran like a champ and didn't burn a drop of oil. how does that compare
with gm or frod?

> Have a leakdown test done to confirm that the leakage is past the rings.

a leakdown test is usually to see the finer details of engine health.
if this motor's burning 4 liters [that's nearly 8 pints] of oil a week,
doing a leakdown test is like using a rule to measure the spacing of the
deckchairs on the titanic.