Brake fluid

Old April 10th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Brake fluid

My 2000 should have the brake fluid changed. Any comments on changing
from DOT 3 (?) to silicone

What is your opinion Dad?
Old April 10th 06, 06:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Theoldman" > wrote in message
.. .
> My 2000 should have the brake fluid changed. Any comments on
> changing from DOT 3 (?) to silicone
>
> What is your opinion Dad?

Poor opinion, costly, and will give a slightly softer pedal. Stick
with the DOT 3 and change it more often then six years. That's unless
you run circle track or let your car sit more that 6 months of the
year in poor storage conditions.

To my knowledge there is far less brake problems with the C4, C5, and
the C6 than there have been in the past with the C2 and C3 disk brakes
that so many used the silicone fluid in due to moisture absorption.

What determined the need to change the brake fluid, color (rust) or
scheduled maintenance? Other issues?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old April 10th 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

For the brake fluid just time I assume that the previous owners did very
little because the car only has 20,000 kms on it.

Got the car last year so this year I am into changing all the fluids

I think I have a modification to the jacking pads. The web site posted
by Dad is one of the best I have run across for maintenance stuff. The
pads are too thick for my floor jack so I am going to make a change and
see if it works then I will post a picture.

Old April 10th 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

DO NOT CHANGE TO Silicone, in that car..
Trying to get all the existing fluid out of the ABS unit
will be a right bitch. And you absolutely can not have
any DOT3 left if you change to Silicone...

There is no reason to change to silicone for that car,
I used silicone in my streetrod but the master cyl was under
the floor board and sat over and around many painted frame parts.
Needed silicone because the DOT 3 would take the paint off.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

DOT 3 Brake Fluid D.D. Pallmer Ford Explorer 2 February 24th 06 04:29 AM
Braking in New Handbrake shoes and Disks M C BMW 86 April 17th 05 10:05 AM
Brake fluid question Mike Oxbig VW water cooled 9 March 25th 05 11:05 PM
Green Brake Fluid coffee01 Corvette 4 January 15th 05 08:06 PM
Replacing brake fluid reservoir on B5 Passat Upilogue VW water cooled 0 September 27th 04 09:18 PM