I almost caused a crash yesterday...

Old February 3rd 12, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default I almost caused a crash yesterday...

I was EB on Norwood Ave. intending to turn L on Pine:
http://g.co/maps/uzft7 39.16422, -84.44764

As I turned a !Student Driver! appeared, WB on Norwood, from nowhere.

He was signaling L and merging from the curb, but I did not notice him
move an inch until I saw him brake for me.

I have been endeavoring to ensure I add a little additional safety
cushion to my L turns and those of others, but I did not do so in this
instance.

I realized, instantly, that I had completely abandoned "conscious
control of the attentional spotlight".

Even if he was pulling from the curb, I failed to notice an occupied
vehicle sitting there so I had -no- chance to anticipate his maneuver.

********************.

You want to know what infuriates gpsman? Letting **** like that
happen.
-----

- gpsman
Old February 4th 12, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Feb 3, 1:27*pm, gpsman > wrote:
> I was EB on Norwood Ave. intending to turn L on Pine:http://g.co/maps/uzft7*39.16422, -84.44764
>
> As I turned a !Student Driver! appeared, WB on Norwood, from nowhere.
>
> He was signaling L and merging from the curb, but I did not notice him
> move an inch until I saw him brake for me.
>
> I have been endeavoring to ensure I add a little additional safety
> cushion to my L turns and those of others, but I did not do so in this
> instance.
>
> I realized, instantly, that I had completely abandoned "conscious
> control of the attentional spotlight".
>
> Even if he was pulling from the curb, I failed to notice an occupied
> vehicle sitting there so I had -no- chance to anticipate his maneuver.

> You want to know what infuriates gpsman? *Letting **** like that
> happen.
> *-----
>
> - gpsman

Mine is looking in the mirror and seeing a vehicle I didn't know was
there. Obviously I've been on autopilot for an unknown distance.

Harry K