Z3 wheel fitment

Old November 23rd 06, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Z3 wheel fitment

I was interested upgrading the wheels and tires on my 2002 Z3. Tirerack.com
has an excellent site that shows the fitments of the various wheel / tire
combinations, as you all probably know.

I like the staggered look, with a wider rear tire. I'm considering moving to
an 18" setup. Tireracks' 18"x9" rear wheels for the Z3 typically have a +41
offset , however the M Roadster is typically a +20 offset.. Since I'm
looking for the wider look, I would like the +20 offset. Is there any
physical reason the +20 offset wouldn't work? Is the suspension any
different on the M, or are the wheel wells flaired out more on the M?

I would like to go with the following setup. Any thoughts, pro or con?

Front 225/40-18 tire
18x8 +41 offset alloy wheel

Rear 255/35-18 tire
18X9 +20 offset alloy wheel

Thanks for any advice!

Regards

Mark

Old November 23rd 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom D

> wrote in message
m...
>I was interested upgrading the wheels and tires on my 2002 Z3. Tirerack.com
>has an excellent site that shows the fitments of the various wheel / tire
>combinations, as you all probably know.
>
> I like the staggered look, with a wider rear tire. I'm considering moving
> to an 18" setup. Tireracks' 18"x9" rear wheels for the Z3 typically have a
> +41 offset , however the M Roadster is typically a +20 offset.. Since I'm
> looking for the wider look, I would like the +20 offset. Is there any
> physical reason the +20 offset wouldn't work? Is the suspension any
> different on the M, or are the wheel wells flaired out more on the M?

Mark, I would go only with what Tire Rack says will fit. When I bought my
'97 Z3 2.8, the previous owner has replaced the stock wheels with M wheels.
While it looked good, I soon found out that there was not enough clearance
in the rear. I do believe the M has wider wheel wells to accomodate. With
casual driving, I did not have a problem. But when I hit a dipped section
in the road, or was driving in a manner that required more suspension
travel, I would be greeted with a terrible crunching sound of the tire
scraping the wheel well. After this happened a few times, the side walls of
the tires started getting damaged. I ended up replacing the wheels with
ones that were the same size, but had the proper offset and have had no
problems.

Hope this helps.

-=- Tom

Old November 23rd 06, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

> wrote in message
m...
>I was interested upgrading the wheels and tires on my 2002 Z3. Tirerack.com
>has an excellent site that shows the fitments of the various wheel / tire
>combinations, as you all probably know.
>
> I like the staggered look, with a wider rear tire. I'm considering moving
> to an 18" setup. Tireracks' 18"x9" rear wheels for the Z3 typically have a
> +41 offset , however the M Roadster is typically a +20 offset.. Since I'm
> looking for the wider look, I would like the +20 offset. Is there any
> physical reason the +20 offset wouldn't work? Is the suspension any
> different on the M, or are the wheel wells flaired out more on the M?
>
> I would like to go with the following setup. Any thoughts, pro or con?
>
> Front 225/40-18 tire
> 18x8 +41 offset alloy wheel
>
> Rear 255/35-18 tire
> 18X9 +20 offset alloy wheel

Although my Z3 was a '97, it had the same size 16" OEM wheels front and rear
and I felt there was too much understeer. Since a wider rear tire tends to
increase understeer, is this what you want?

Tom K.

Old November 23rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

Mark, with 17'' rims on the rear & 245x40 tires, the handling of the coupé
is a pain in the ass !
I suspect that with 18'' rims and a lower side, it will almost be impossible
to drive the car unless you only use highways or closed circuits.

Today, with 5-year experience, two kinds of tires (Dunlop Sport & Potenza
S03 Bridgestone), I'd order standard 16'' rims !

Now, it's up to you ...