Replacing Timing Belt on '98 Odyssey

Old November 2nd 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

Default Replacing Timing Belt on '98 Odyssey

My '98 Odyssey has 158,000 miles on the original timing belt, and I'm
done tempting fate.
Just two questions...
#1. Any gotchas or special tools needed?
#2. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there?
Old November 2nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Doug B wrote:
> My '98 Odyssey has 158,000 miles on the original timing belt, and I'm
> done tempting fate.
> Just two questions...
> #1. Any gotchas or special tools needed?
> #2. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there?

-----------------------------------

You are pushing your luck !

#1. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html Your crankshaft
pulley is the #1 variety, same as newer Accord / CR-V.
#2 You'll change the balance shaft belt too, and maybe check the valves.

'Curly'
Old November 3rd 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Yeah, you'll need to pulley holding tool, 1/2" 2ft breaker bar (like
the $9.99 one from HarborFreight.com, one for the bolt socket and the
other for the holder tool). Water pump, cam seals, crank seal, and
idler pulleys should be changed.

Becareful if the pump is leaking. The leak will cause the idler bolt
below the weep hole (stupid design, they should have routed it outside
the timing cover) to seize and may break if you try to loosen it!

Don't think that engine has a balancer belt. You may need a tensioner
holder for the older style tensioner ~$10 at the dealer.

I prefer Gates belts and hoses. Gates timing kit includes a timing
belt, two pulleys and an instruction sheet at a good price. IMO better
than the Mitsuboshi and Bando belts.

www.gates.com

Old November 6th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

Go over to www.odyclub.com and do some searches for all odyssey problems.
Changing the timing belt takes a little knowledge and good mechanical
skills.

Old November 6th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

Woody wrote:
> Go over to www.odyclub.com and do some searches for all odyssey problems.
> Changing the timing belt takes a little knowledge and good mechanical
> skills.

Thanks for the website recommendation. Unless it's more difficult than
completely overhauling a Ford V-8, I don't think I'll worry about
whether my mechanical skills are sufficient.