Question: CA seatbelt law

Old September 26th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default Question: CA seatbelt law

My '71 Grande has a seat belt plus shoulder harness that
the driver needs to attach to the seat belt in a second action.
I always wear both belts but have been challenged by passengers
that the shoulder harness is "optional" according to the law.
"optional" equals "stupid" in my mind, but from a law enforcement
standpoint; is the shoulder harness "optional"?
California car.

mike

Old September 26th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
vince garcia

goodnigh wrote:

> My '71 Grande has a seat belt plus shoulder harness that
> the driver needs to attach to the seat belt in a second action.
> I always wear both belts but have been challenged by passengers
> that the shoulder harness is "optional" according to the law.
> "optional" equals "stupid" in my mind, but from a law enforcement
> standpoint; is the shoulder harness "optional"?
> California car.
>
> mike

Technically, the law is you must use the shoulder belt, but they've
never stopped me on it.
Old September 26th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
link.net...
> My '71 Grande has a seat belt plus shoulder harness that
> the driver needs to attach to the seat belt in a second action.
> I always wear both belts but have been challenged by passengers
> that the shoulder harness is "optional" according to the law.
> "optional" equals "stupid" in my mind, but from a law enforcement
> standpoint; is the shoulder harness "optional"?
> California car.

Shoulder belts became a federal mandate in '68.

Scott W.
'68 Ranchero
'69 Mustang
TS #57

Old September 27th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"vince garcia" > wrote in message
> goodnigh wrote:
>>
>> My '71 Grande has a seat belt plus shoulder harness that
>> the driver needs to attach to the seat belt in a second action.
>> I always wear both belts but have been challenged by passengers
>> that the shoulder harness is "optional" according to the law.
>> "optional" equals "stupid" in my mind, but from a law enforcement
>> standpoint; is the shoulder harness "optional"?
>> California car.
>>
>> mike

> Technically, the law is you must use the shoulder belt, but they've
> never stopped me on it.

Is there any way to make the shoulder harness more comfortable
to wear? Do they make replacement belts/harnesses for this model?

mike

Old September 27th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
vince garcia

goodnigh wrote:

> "vince garcia" > wrote in message
> > goodnigh wrote:
> >>
> >> My '71 Grande has a seat belt plus shoulder harness that
> >> the driver needs to attach to the seat belt in a second action.
> >> I always wear both belts but have been challenged by passengers
> >> that the shoulder harness is "optional" according to the law.
> >> "optional" equals "stupid" in my mind, but from a law enforcement
> >> standpoint; is the shoulder harness "optional"?
> >> California car.
> >>
> >> mike

> > Technically, the law is you must use the shoulder belt, but they've
> > never stopped me on it.

> Is there any way to make the shoulder harness more comfortable
> to wear? Do they make replacement belts/harnesses for this model?
>
> mike

I've never cared to look for one, so I cannot say. As noted, I wear the
lap belt and the cops have never stopped me, so I would use the lap belt
and just play ignorant. I don't think you'll get in trouble if they stop
you and see you're actually wearing the safer lap belt in that old a rig
Old September 27th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"vince garcia" > wrote in message
> goodnigh wrote:

>> > Technically, the law is you must use the shoulder belt, but they've
>> > never stopped me on it.

>> Is there any way to make the shoulder harness more comfortable
>> to wear? Do they make replacement belts/harnesses for this model?
>>
>> mike

> I've never cared to look for one, so I cannot say. As noted, I wear the
> lap belt and the cops have never stopped me, so I would use the lap belt
> and just play ignorant. I don't think you'll get in trouble if they stop
> you and see you're actually wearing the safer lap belt in that old a rig

Could just remove it like it was never there.
Then again, if the cop doesn't know what to do,
they will write a ticket and let the judge figure it out.

Probably safer to wear the whole rig.
Just wish I could find something more comfortable.

mike

Old September 27th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
veegerNO [email protected]

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:56:49 GMT, "goodnigh"
> wrote:

>"vince garcia" > wrote in message
>> goodnigh wrote:

>>> Is there any way to make the shoulder harness more comfortable
>>> to wear? Do they make replacement belts/harnesses for this model?

Depending on what you consider uncomfortable, you could replace it
with a later model, which may require some modifications to the
vehicle mounting points, possibly replace it with an aftermarket 3
point system (what I have for my 65 FB), or get one of those sheepskin
pads.

As for the cops.... since your car was produced after the mandatory
law went into effect AND the shoulder belt is there, failure to wear
it would technically be a violation. Still, enforcement can vary from
one cop to the next. One thing is to not be obvious about not wearing
the shoulder belt. I was generally too busy to be watching for
seatbelt violations, HOWEVER, nothing invites me to pull them over
like a seatbelt hanging out of the car, or a shoulder belt flapping in
the wind. Tighten that shoulder belt down so it doesn't flop around,
but don't do anything permanent which would show an intent to avoid
compliance. Rubberband(s) as opposed to screw(s).

Personally, I hated the shoulder belts, but, for safety, I wore them
until they became an unconscious habit. Another point you might
consider. The way insurance companies are (and they are getting worse)
you might find they refuse to pay if it can be shown that you didn't
wear the complete system. Essentially, you would have failed to
mitigate damages by non-compliance. Or they may pay and cancel you.
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old October 1st 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kate[_3_]

"vince garcia" > wrote in message
> goodnigh wrote:

>> > Technically, the law is you must use the shoulder belt, but they've
>> > never stopped me on it.

>> Is there any way to make the shoulder harness more comfortable
>> to wear? Do they make replacement belts/harnesses for this model?
>>
>> mike

> I've never cared to look for one, so I cannot say. As noted, I wear the
> lap belt and the cops have never stopped me, so I would use the lap belt
> and just play ignorant. I don't think you'll get in trouble if they stop
> you and see you're actually wearing the safer lap belt in that old a rig

There are some clips that you can get that adjust the point where the
harness crosses over your shoulder. It may be a thought, ot maybe a pad to
go over your shoulder.

I always get rubbed across my neck, well, did until the rig I drive now.

You must surely know, that the officers have seen more than one person
playing ignorant.
Trust me, they won't buy it. Cops have heard it all, seen it all and more
than once too.
You may think you have an original excuse, but tons of other people have
come up with the same thing.

Best bet, ask someone in law enforcement ping SPIKE in the group, he may
know for sure.
It may be something that each individual officer would make a judgement call
on too. One may be ok, the next may be ****ed off cause his
boss/wife/girlfriend was on his ass earlier in the day and he may decide
that he is tired of putting up with lies and excuses.

I suggest you continue to wear both belts, for your own safety AND insist
that your hammerheaded passengers do the same.
When they start making stupid excuses, remind them that (last time I was
there) improper use or lack of a seatbelt was a $250 fine, see if it means
that much to them. If so, then tell em to cough it up before you start the
engine.

Kate

Old October 1st 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
veegerNO [email protected]

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 12:04:08 -0500, "Kate"

On target and well said!!!!! :0)

A Physics Question Alan Baker Driving 1 September 9th 06 05:49 AM
Toyota Seatbelt Question M.M. Technology 0 July 30th 06 06:59 PM
2005 Mustang Fog Light Question Craig Shaffer Ford Mustang 2 June 23rd 06 06:24 PM
1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)? [email protected] Saturn 7 May 21st 06 08:39 PM