Non OPEC countries should organize.

Old September 5th 05, 05:34 PM
Dan

Default Non OPEC countries should organize.

We could call ourselves the Organization of Fuel Using Countries, or
'OFUC'. When OPEC cuts oil production or raises prices, the cries of
'OFUC' would not be far behind.
Old September 5th 05, 05:36 PM
JerryL

"Dan " > wrote in message
> We could call ourselves the Organization of Fuel Using Countries, or
> 'OFUC'. When OPEC cuts oil production or raises prices, the cries of
> 'OFUC' would not be far behind.

Excellent!

Old September 5th 05, 06:12 PM
timeOday

Dan wrote:
> We could call ourselves the Organization of Fuel Using Countries, or
> 'OFUC'. When OPEC cuts oil production or raises prices, the cries of
> 'OFUC' would not be far behind.

But if we conserve, the terrorists have won!
Old September 5th 05, 11:17 PM
PaPaPeng

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:34:32 -0500, "Dan " > wrote:

>We could call ourselves the Organization of Fuel Using Countries, or
>'OFUC'. When OPEC cuts oil production or raises prices, the cries of
>'OFUC' would not be far behind.

What leverage will such an OFUC(ked) organization have to encourage
OPEC to treat it special?

Nah. The best and only way is still to be nice to the producers.
Old September 6th 05, 04:25 PM
dr.benway

Actually, we should form OFEC. the Organization of Food Exporting
Countries. Index the price of grain to the price of oil!

Old September 7th 05, 12:26 AM
Andy

Dan wrote:
> We could call ourselves the Organization of Fuel Using Countries, or
> 'OFUC'. When OPEC cuts oil production or raises prices, the cries of
> 'OFUC' would not be far behind.

It has been about 30 years since OPEC realized that raising prices
and/or cutting production too much was bad for business because it
stunted worldwide economic growth. The OPEC nations want nothing more
than for the oil consuming nations to have healthy economic growth.
You don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Andy

Old September 7th 05, 12:36 AM
George W. Bush

Dan wrote:
> We could call ourselves the Organization of Fuel Using Countries, or
> 'OFUC'. When OPEC cuts oil production or raises prices, the cries of
> 'OFUC' would not be far behind.

Let's teach them a lesson. Everyone sell your SUV and buy a small car
instead. Use public transit or ride your bike to work. We can destroy
OPEC by reducing our demand for gasoline. Let's show them who is boss.
Old September 7th 05, 03:50 PM
DaLoverhino

Well, how effective will this be? Alot of OPEC countries already make
more money from their non-oil investments than they do with their Oil.
I don't think you'll be hurting them.

So, it's not like these countries are hurting for our money. So they
wouldn't be raising their prices for cash. Could it be retaliation for
invading Iraq? Well, why didn't that happen much earlier.

I think the reason why prices are going up is because demand has caught
up with supply. Did you know Saudi Arabia bought oil rigs in the Gulf
of Mexico? Why would they do that if their deserts are so full of oil?
Extracting oil from the seas is more expensive than getting it from
the ground.

There have been numerous scientific articles pointing to the fact that
2005 will be the end of easy access oil. Every barrel extracted out of
the ground will become increasingly more expensive to get. Yeah, I
know they have been wrong in the past, but what is bothersome, is that
this time they used the same analytical methods that Hubbert used to
predict the end of easy access oil in the States in 70's. I read these
articles back in 1997.

I don't know why we should get angry at OPEC. The US public and the US
government had a chance to ween itself off of oil after the oil crisis
in the 70's. Instead, we collectively choose not to slowly embrace
alternative energies. Instead experiencing a pain in the butt to adopt
alternate energies over 20-30 years, we'll be experiencing a real
emergency, when the 'real' oil crisis happens... (and I hope it never
does!)

In my opinion -not that anyone cares- we should have taxed gasoline by
a buck or more back in 2000-2001, and taken the money to research ways
of becoming energy independent.

But whatever.... you might aswell see some opportunity out of all
this... something like the following: Buy yourself a Prius, and invest
in companies that mine/process/deal with Lithium (that's used in
batteries.)

Old September 7th 05, 04:49 PM
Andy

DaLoverhino wrote:
> Well, how effective will this be? Alot of OPEC countries already make
> more money from their non-oil investments than they do with their Oil.
> I don't think you'll be hurting them.

According to Wikipedia "Saudi Arabia's petroleum sector accounts for
roughly 75% of budget revenues, 40% of the GDP, and 90% of export
earnings." I think we would be hurting Saudi Arabia if we cut down on
our oil imports.

Andy

Old September 7th 05, 07:23 PM
rick++