1993 Honda Civic EX V-Tec

Old June 4th 05, 06:13 PM
Nate Nagel

Default 1993 Honda Civic EX V-Tec

JZamora wrote:
> I got a 1993 Honda Civic Ex Sedan v-tec with 91,000 miles on it. My
> questions is that my car is burning about 1 quart of engine oil every
> month. When I press the gas pedal it smokes a little bit. But when I pass
> the 5 rpm it smokes too much. The engine does not make any noise and it
> has good hp. Some friends told my that might be the gaskets but I'm not
> sure. Any one of you got the answer. I much that will cost and if I can do
> it by myself. Thanks.

well first of all I seriously doubt a '93 Civic is considered an antique
by many (although I do know people that absolutely have to have new cars...)

but anyway run a compression test on the engine both dry and wet (with a
little oil in the cylinder) and then let us know what you find. Oil
consumption generally comes from one of two places, either worn valve
guides/valve stem seals or else rings that are worn, broken, or have
lost their tension. If the compression goes up "wet" from the "dry"
readings, that indicates a ring problem, otherwise probably a removal
and inspection of the head is in order.

good luck,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 4th 05, 06:48 PM
Grumpy AuContraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> JZamora wrote:
> > I got a 1993 Honda Civic Ex Sedan v-tec with 91,000 miles on it. My
> > questions is that my car is burning about 1 quart of engine oil every
> > month. When I press the gas pedal it smokes a little bit. But when I pass
> > the 5 rpm it smokes too much. The engine does not make any noise and it
> > has good hp. Some friends told my that might be the gaskets but I'm not
> > sure. Any one of you got the answer. I much that will cost and if I can do
> > it by myself. Thanks.
> >

> well first of all I seriously doubt a '93 Civic is considered an antique
> by many (although I do know people that absolutely have to have new cars...)
>
> but anyway run a compression test on the engine both dry and wet (with a
> little oil in the cylinder) and then let us know what you find. Oil
> consumption generally comes from one of two places, either worn valve
> guides/valve stem seals or else rings that are worn, broken, or have
> lost their tension. If the compression goes up "wet" from the "dry"
> readings, that indicates a ring problem, otherwise probably a removal
> and inspection of the head is in order.
>
> good luck,
>
> nate

Does my 1983 Honca FE project qualify?