Almost stall - 94 SL2

Old April 19th 05, 06:36 PM
Tim

Default Almost stall - 94 SL2

I have a 94 SL2 with 245000 on her and she still runs great except for one
little problem that has me a little stumped.
When coming to any stop but particularly from higher speeds, when I push in
the clutch, my rpm plummets to well below 1000, almost stalls, sometimes
does stall, then bounces back to normal ( around 800-900 rpm). Oddly enough
it only does it really when coming to a stop. If I'm already stopped, and I
rev the engine, the idle comes back down fine. I'm not sure what the
connection could be to the idle and the car moving or not that would cause
something like this.
Any thoughts? I have no trouble codes.

Thanks

Old April 20th 05, 03:10 AM
94SC2

EGR valve is partially sticking "open".
With removal, careful cleaning off carbon gunk, and replacing $0.70
gasket, should be good as new.

Old April 20th 05, 04:32 AM
Bob Shuman

Change the PCV and clean the throttle body as well. And adding a good fuel
injector cleaner in the fuel tank (Techron) wouldn't hurt either. Good
luck.

Bob

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 21st 05, 02:38 PM
Tim

thanks for the replys.
actually, i did all those things except for the fuel injector cleaner, i
even had a new EGR valve on there for a bit, it didnt help. i checked my
IAC and TPS as well, they were fine, my fuel filter is new, i checked my MAP
sensor - fine, i read something about the coolant temp sensors so i changed
that. still the rpm's plummet
i totally cleaned my throttle body and intake manifold, new gaskets all
around.
what else could logically cause this? a sensor im missing?

Tim

Old April 22nd 05, 04:29 AM
justastreekin

may be injector problems i have 93 SL2 with 160 thou and had problems with
2 of the injectors , and aditives in the tank wont help tried 3 brands at
triple the recomended strength, you may want a garage to clean them, they
have a kit that can be conected to the fuel injector rail, it is in a
presurized can and the car runs on the contents of the can and cleans
them, or do as i did and take them out and clean one at a time, i put a
1/2 in. clear plasic hose on each one then poured carb cleaner in tubing,
get a electrical plugin from an old saturn or make your own, use a
flashlight batery
to power the injector DO NOT USE 12 VOLTS operate injector for about a
min. or so , I set the injectors in hot motor oil while doing this and it
realy cleans em out, Ps you should see the carb cleaner buble a litle in
the clear tubing!
TAKE CARE NOT TO MAKE SPARKS NEAR THE INJECTORS OR CARB CLEANER!