Audi 100 Transmission is toast

Old May 21st 08, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark

Default Audi 100 Transmission is toast

Burned out the second transmission on my 89 100. I had a used transmission
and transaxle put in about a year ago, and it's been acting up for about the
last 6 mos. Reverse slipping when hot, and some times downshifting from 3rd
to 2nd at road speed unnecessarily. Then it is difficult to get back into
3rd, without slowing way down. I put up with this until now, it will hardly
go into first gear from a standing start. I can drive about a block in
first, and it is slipping so bad it won't move at all. Fluid is red, but has
graphite-like particles in it, making it look dark. The fluid does not smell
burned. I have used 2 doses of Lucas Trans Fix in the past 6 months, but
didn't seem to help much.

I know I need a replacement automatic section, but my mechanic doesn't have
a used one available. What are the best sources for a good used autobox for
this car? There is one on eBay for $400, but I am wary of buying something
like this on eBay, not knowing if it will work when it gets here! Shipping
alone is $200!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your advice!

--
Stephen Clark
Houston, Texas USA

Old May 21st 08, 11:03 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

Stephen Clark wrote:
> Burned out the second transmission on my 89 100. I had a used transmission
> and transaxle put in about a year ago, and it's been acting up for about the
> last 6 mos. Reverse slipping when hot, and some times downshifting from 3rd
> to 2nd at road speed unnecessarily. Then it is difficult to get back into
> 3rd, without slowing way down. I put up with this until now, it will hardly
> go into first gear from a standing start. I can drive about a block in
> first, and it is slipping so bad it won't move at all. Fluid is red, but has
> graphite-like particles in it, making it look dark. The fluid does not smell
> burned. I have used 2 doses of Lucas Trans Fix in the past 6 months, but
> didn't seem to help much.
>
> I know I need a replacement automatic section, but my mechanic doesn't have
> a used one available. What are the best sources for a good used autobox for
> this car? There is one on eBay for $400, but I am wary of buying something
> like this on eBay, not knowing if it will work when it gets here! Shipping
> alone is $200!
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Try searching:
http://car-part.com/
Old May 22nd 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Can your mechanic get yours rebuilt? Or have the one that originally came
out rebuilt?
Is this you on craigslist.org also asking for parts?
http://houston.craigslist.org/wan/649604807.html

Old May 23rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> Can your mechanic get yours rebuilt? Or have the one that originally came
> out rebuilt?
> Is this you on craigslist.org also asking for parts?
> http://houston.craigslist.org/wan/649604807.html

He says he can't get the parts necessary for a rebuild. He has three apart
at his shop right now trying to scavenge enough good parts to make one.

No, it's not me on craigslist, but it could be my mechanic! He mentioned
he's looking for an A/C compressor, and mine is good....

--
Stephen Clark
Houston, Texas USA

Old May 23rd 08, 06:12 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Stephen Clark

>TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message
>

> Try searching:
> http://car-part.com/

Hi Tony, thanks for the resource. I did find two here in Texas, and not too
far away. Now to decide which might be the best one...

--
Stephen Clark
Houston, Texas USA