1984 Plymouth Reliant idles way too fast...

Old June 18th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
William R. Walsh

Default 1984 Plymouth Reliant idles way too fast...

Hello all...

The vehicle in question is a 1984 Plymouth Reliant with the 2.6L Mitsubishi
engine. It runs and drives, but the problem is that the engine is idling
way, way too fast. It also diesels a LOT at shutdown, although that may be
due to some very stale gasoline that I'm trying to get rid of as time
allows.

There has been a lot of headway made on this problem...but I'm not there
yet. The choke is fixed and I invested in a Chilton's service manual for
1981-95 FWD Chrysler automobiles. Said manual talks of an idle speed
adjustment screw, and even has an illustration. Trouble is, I can find no
such screw, or even really tell what the illustration is pointing out. It
isn't a very good illustration.

So how can I go about getting the idle speed down to something more
reasonable? Is there a *good* guide that explains what all the various bits
of stuff on the carburetor are for?

William

Old June 18th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

"William R. Walsh" m> writes:

> There has been a lot of headway made on this problem...but I'm not there
> yet. The choke is fixed and I invested in a Chilton's service manual for
> 1981-95 FWD Chrysler automobiles. Said manual talks of an idle speed
> adjustment screw, and even has an illustration. Trouble is, I can find no
> such screw, or even really tell what the illustration is pointing out. It
> isn't a very good illustration.

That's why you need an FSM. Sorry you wasted your money on a
Chilton's...
Old June 18th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Hi!

> That's why you need an FSM. Sorry you wasted your money
> on a Chilton's...

Could have been worse, I guess. I could still take it back, and may
just do so. I'm just surprised at how poor this manual has been. I
have two other Chilton manuals for other cars and they are much
better.

I know that GM factory service manuals come from Helm, Inc. Is the
same true for Chrysler products? If not, where would I go to get the
factory service manual?

Or would anyone mind giving me a few quick hints to find my way around
the carburetor? I'll provide more information if need be.

William

Old June 18th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Jun 18, 10:48 am, wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > That's why you need an FSM. Sorry you wasted your money
> > on a Chilton's...

> Could have been worse, I guess. I could still take it back, and may
> just do so. I'm just surprised at how poor this manual has been. I
> have two other Chilton manuals for other cars and they are much
> better.
>
> I know that GM factory service manuals come from Helm, Inc. Is the
> same true for Chrysler products? If not, where would I go to get the
> factory service manual?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...spagenameZWDVW

They're available at swap meets and such for pretty low prices. No
need to buy new, unless you positively need it right away (and I don't
know who would have it in stock).