LHS Steering Problem

Old June 11th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
moster

Default LHS Steering Problem

Does anyone know if Chrysler has made a kit to repair the steering bushing
that is mounted on driver's side next to the firewall? I just cannot believe
they are trying to get everyone to buy a new rack just to repair this
thing.

Old June 11th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

moster wrote:
> Does anyone know if Chrysler has made a kit to repair the steering
> bushing that is mounted on driver's side next to the firewall? I just
> cannot believe they are trying to get everyone to buy a new rack just
> to repair this thing.

Part number 5014740AA - $19-26 each depending on dealer pricing.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 11th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
moster

Bill, thanks for your response. Will the part you referenced fit into a '96
LHS?

Old June 11th 07, 09:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
"moster" > wrote:

> Does anyone know if Chrysler has made a kit to repair the steering bushing
> that is mounted on driver's side next to the firewall? I just cannot believe
> they are trying to get everyone to buy a new rack just to repair this
> thing.

A few years ago I got a rebuilt rack for my '95 LH.
Did I also get that steering bushing?
Old June 11th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

moster wrote:

> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>
>> moster wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if Chrysler has made a kit to repair the steering
>>> bushing that is mounted on driver's side next to the firewall? I just
>>> cannot believe they are trying to get everyone to buy a new rack just
>>> to repair this thing.

>> Part number 5014740AA - $19-26 each depending on dealer pricing.
>>
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>> address with the letter 'x')

> Bill, thanks for your response. Will the part you referenced fit into
> a '96 LHS?

I'm not sure - you didn't say what year you had. The part number I gave
is for a 2nd gen ('98-'04 MY's) LH car. I think the steering gear was
the same on the first gen. LH's, but that's no guarantee of that part
being the same. I'd run the number I gave you past the dealer parts
department - I think once you have a number, then system can tell them
what the applications for the part are - see if your '96 is listed.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 17th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote:

Hey Moster - If you're stil reading this, and it's not too late,
according to TSB No. 19-07-98, that part number I gave you (5014740AA)
*is* for all '93-'97 LH cars, and happens to also be for '98 and '99
only (another part number picks up for '00 and later LH cars). Just
coincidence that I looked it up for '99, and that number does cover all
1st gen. and earlier 2nd gen. LH years, but not later 2nd gen. ones.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 18th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
oldcarnut

On Jun 17, 10:40?am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> Bill Putney wrote:
>
> Hey Moster - If you're stil reading this, and it's not too late,
> according to TSB No. 19-07-98, that part number I gave you (5014740AA)
> *is* for all '93-'97 LH cars, and happens to also be for '98 and '99
> only (another part number picks up for '00 and later LH cars). Just
> coincidence that I looked it up for '99, and that number does cover all
> 1st gen. and earlier 2nd gen. LH years, but not later 2nd gen. ones.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

I have had some issues with the steering of my 2000 Concorde and I
wonder if bushing failure may not shed some light on the problem. What
does the bushing do and what might one expect to experience if that
bushing failed?

Thanks.

Old June 19th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

oldcarnut wrote:
> On Jun 17, 10:40?am, Bill Putney > wrote:

> I have had some issues with the steering of my 2000 Concorde and I
> wonder if bushing failure may not shed some light on the problem. What
> does the bushing do and what might one expect to experience if that
> bushing failed?
>
> Thanks.

Thosae particular bushings locate the steering rack to the car. If they
get worn/loose, the steering rack can move relative to the car in
response to steering input, and the effect is sloppy steering, play in
the steering.

There are other more common cause of sloppy steering on the LH cars.
The most common is the inner tie rod bushings (connect the tie rods to
the rack). An aftermarket inner tie rod bushing kit is around $20 and
is slightly difficult to put in.

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch
(looking down behind the engine) to see if the rack is moving or if
there is play in either or both of the inner tie rod bushings.

What exactly are your symptoms?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 19th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
oldcarnut

On Jun 19, 6:19?am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> oldcarnut wrote:
> > On Jun 17, 10:40?am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> > I have had some issues with the steering of my 2000 Concorde and I
> > wonder if bushing failure may not shed some light on the problem. What
> > does the bushing do and what might one expect to experience if that
> > bushing failed?

> > Thanks.

> Thosae particular bushings locate the steering rack to the car. If they
> get worn/loose, the steering rack can move relative to the car in
> response to steering input, and the effect is sloppy steering, play in
> the steering.
>
> There are other more common cause of sloppy steering on the LH cars.
> The most common is the inner tie rod bushings (connect the tie rods to
> the rack). An aftermarket inner tie rod bushing kit is around $20 and
> is slightly difficult to put in.
>
> Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch
> (looking down behind the engine) to see if the rack is moving or if
> there is play in either or both of the inner tie rod bushings.
>
> What exactly are your symptoms?
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Hi Bill,
The rack is not moving and I have replaced the inner bushings (what a
pain!) because they were badly worn (2000 Concorde, 110k miles). I did
the rack bushings and inner tie rod bushings on my son's 94 Concorde
(205k miles)so I am familiar with what you are talking about.
The problem that I am experiencing, off and on, is that the steering
gets very heavy and one can actually hear a scraping sound, like a
piece of sand or a little stone is jammed in the mechanism. I have
"flushed" the PS fluid by sucking out the contents of the reservoir,
refilling, running the engine and repeating, using MoPar ATF+4. I
can't be sure if that helped or not because the problem is
intermittent and only occurs when moving slowly as when parking or
backing from a parking place. Most of the time it acts and responds
normally.
Engine speed seems okay and no noises from the pump, new belt. I
thought that I might try one more "flush" to see if that might be
helpful. I think that a small amount of "power steering fluid" had
been introduced into the system just before I started having these
issues. Do you know what effect that might have? Would it produce
symptoms like these?
I know this sounds rambling but I'm trying to get you all the info
that I have a one time. Thanks for your advice.

Old June 19th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

oldcarnut wrote:
> On Jun 19, 6:19?am, Bill Putney > wrote:
>
>>oldcarnut wrote:
>>
>>>On Jun 17, 10:40?am, Bill Putney > wrote:
>>>I have had some issues with the steering of my 2000 Concorde and I
>>>wonder if bushing failure may not shed some light on the problem. What
>>>does the bushing do and what might one expect to experience if that
>>>bushing failed?

>>>Thanks.

>>Thosae particular bushings locate the steering rack to the car. If they
>>get worn/loose, the steering rack can move relative to the car in
>>response to steering input, and the effect is sloppy steering, play in
>>the steering.
>>
>>There are other more common cause of sloppy steering on the LH cars.
>>The most common is the inner tie rod bushings (connect the tie rods to
>>the rack). An aftermarket inner tie rod bushing kit is around $20 and
>>is slightly difficult to put in.
>>
>>Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch
>>(looking down behind the engine) to see if the rack is moving or if
>>there is play in either or both of the inner tie rod bushings.
>>
>>What exactly are your symptoms?
>>
>>Bill Putney
>>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>>address with the letter 'x')

> Hi Bill,
> The rack is not moving and I have replaced the inner bushings (what a
> pain!) because they were badly worn (2000 Concorde, 110k miles). I did
> the rack bushings and inner tie rod bushings on my son's 94 Concorde
> (205k miles)so I am familiar with what you are talking about.
> The problem that I am experiencing, off and on, is that the steering
> gets very heavy and one can actually hear a scraping sound, like a
> piece of sand or a little stone is jammed in the mechanism. I have
> "flushed" the PS fluid by sucking out the contents of the reservoir,
> refilling, running the engine and repeating, using MoPar ATF+4. I
> can't be sure if that helped or not because the problem is
> intermittent and only occurs when moving slowly as when parking or
> backing from a parking place. Most of the time it acts and responds
> normally.
> Engine speed seems okay and no noises from the pump, new belt. I
> thought that I might try one more "flush" to see if that might be
> helpful. I think that a small amount of "power steering fluid" had
> been introduced into the system just before I started having these
> issues. Do you know what effect that might have? Would it produce
> symptoms like these?
> I know this sounds rambling but I'm trying to get you all the info
> that I have a one time. Thanks for your advice.

You say the belt is new. Is it tight? The power steering belt would
have to deliver its worst-case torque to the pump when the engine is
idling - so that is certainly one possible cause. Perhaps the prbolem
was there before the belt was changed - if that's the case, it might be
reasonable to assume the belt is not the problem - but don't rule it out
without checking.

If the non-ATF+4 that was added was only a little bit, I wouldn't be
concerned. If you added a lot, then maybe, but still doubtful.

The first thing I'd rule out before anything else is a loose or slick belt.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

ZJ steering problem.. Snow Jeep 10 April 6th 06 03:47 PM
Steering Problem rjmax Jeep 2 November 16th 05 02:54 AM
Steering Problem Charles Technology 8 September 18th 05 11:00 PM
steering problem jim VW air cooled 20 July 18th 05 03:07 AM
Fox steering problem Jon VW water cooled 2 December 11th 04 07:21 PM