Audi A4 2001 rear door panel removal

Old April 20th 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
mrpete

Default Audi A4 2001 rear door panel removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear door panel of a 2001 audi
A4? :?:

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface. Articles individually verified to usenet standards.
Abuse or Problem, report at http://www.AutoBoardz.com/contact.html
Old April 20th 08, 05:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 03:23:32 GMT, mrpete > wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear door panel of a 2001 audi
>A4? :?:

- if you can, fully lower the window (not necessary, but makes the task a
little easier)

- if you have crank-style windows: you need to pry off the crank handle trim
first. stick the blade of a flat-head screwdriver under the crank handle knob
and lever the screwdriver to slide the crank handle trim towards the crank
handle pivot. this will then expose the bolt holding the crank handle and
underlying trim piece (that surrounds the crank shaft hole) to the window
actuator so you can remove the bolt, crank handle and trim piece.

- look at the arm rest, you should see a small insert near the hand grip.
there is a small screw holding that insert to the arm rest. remove that screw,
then pull the insert downward to remove it from the arm rest.

- in the cavity exposed by removing the insert, you'll find one screw.
remove it.

- with the door swung open, at the aft end of the door you will find two
screws, one at the top and one at the bottom, holding the door panel to the
frame. Remove those two screws.

- Now you should be able to life the door trim straight up and off the (7)
"detent" clips.

- At this point you can unclip the Bowden cable (that actuates the door latch)
and disconnect it from the latch assembly. You can also disconnect the window
regulator (if you have electric lifts) at the switch assembly.

Cheers

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd

Old April 20th 08, 05:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:01:13 -0400, daytripper >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 03:23:32 GMT, mrpete > wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear door panel of a 2001 audi
>>A4? :?:

>- if you can, fully lower the window (not necessary, but makes the task a
>little easier)
>
>- if you have crank-style windows: you need to pry off the crank handle trim
>first. stick the blade of a flat-head screwdriver under the crank handle knob
>and lever the screwdriver to slide the crank handle trim towards the crank
>handle pivot. this will then expose the bolt holding the crank handle and
>underlying trim piece (that surrounds the crank shaft hole) to the window
>actuator so you can remove the bolt, crank handle and trim piece.
>
>- look at the arm rest, you should see a small insert near the hand grip.
>there is a small screw holding that insert to the arm rest. remove that screw,
>then pull the insert downward to remove it from the arm rest.
>
>- in the cavity exposed by removing the insert, you'll find one screw.
>remove it.
>
>- with the door swung open, at the aft end of the door you will find two
>screws, one at the top and one at the bottom, holding the door panel to the
>frame. Remove those two screws.
>
>- Now you should be able to life the door trim straight up and off the (7)
>"detent" clips.
>
>- At this point you can unclip the Bowden cable (that actuates the door latch)
>and disconnect it from the latch assembly. You can also disconnect the window
>regulator (if you have electric lifts) at the switch assembly.
>
>Cheers
>
>/daytripper
>'00 s4 6spd

Hate to reply to my own post, but...to save you looking for it, there isn't
any screw at the lower-aft corner of the door trim. Just the trim-cover screw,
the screw hidden beneath that cover, and the one at the upper-aft corner.

Here's a related write up with useful pictures. If I could have found that
first I'd have saved myself the typing ;-)

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2593621.phtml

Cheers

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old April 20th 08, 05:13 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:08:26 -0400, daytripper >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:01:13 -0400, daytripper >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 03:23:32 GMT, mrpete > wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear door panel of a 2001 audi
>>>A4? :?:

>>- if you can, fully lower the window (not necessary, but makes the task a
>>little easier)
>>
>>- if you have crank-style windows: you need to pry off the crank handle trim
>>first. stick the blade of a flat-head screwdriver under the crank handle knob
>>and lever the screwdriver to slide the crank handle trim towards the crank
>>handle pivot. this will then expose the bolt holding the crank handle and
>>underlying trim piece (that surrounds the crank shaft hole) to the window
>>actuator so you can remove the bolt, crank handle and trim piece.
>>
>>- look at the arm rest, you should see a small insert near the hand grip.
>>there is a small screw holding that insert to the arm rest. remove that screw,
>>then pull the insert downward to remove it from the arm rest.
>>
>>- in the cavity exposed by removing the insert, you'll find one screw.
>>remove it.
>>
>>- with the door swung open, at the aft end of the door you will find two
>>screws, one at the top and one at the bottom, holding the door panel to the
>>frame. Remove those two screws.
>>
>>- Now you should be able to life the door trim straight up and off the (7)
>>"detent" clips.
>>
>>- At this point you can unclip the Bowden cable (that actuates the door latch)
>>and disconnect it from the latch assembly. You can also disconnect the window
>>regulator (if you have electric lifts) at the switch assembly.

>Hate to reply to my own post, but...to save you looking for it, there isn't
>any screw at the lower-aft corner of the door trim. Just the trim-cover screw,
>the screw hidden beneath that cover, and the one at the upper-aft corner.
>
>Here's a related write up with useful pictures. If I could have found that
>first I'd have saved myself the typing ;-)
>
>http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2593621.phtml

DOH!

Dammit, I *knew* there was another screw - I just couldn't remember where the
hell it was.

Upper-front corner of the door - just as shown in the audiworld photo!

/daytripper (with the fading memory ;-)
'00 s4 6spd
Old May 1st 08, 05:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
mrpete

many thanks dt.... I am going to try it over the next few weeks,, I
will let you know of my success. Pete