all's well that ends well

Old June 16th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default all's well that ends well

Some O wrote:

> I'm sure I could take any car on a hard summer drive through our western
> mountains, where the temperature gets up to 100?+, and destroy the
> engine within one day.

Oh, I think there are a LOT of engines you couldn't possibly harm that
way. Granted, you can kill anything through outright abuse (clogged
radiator, deliberate over-revving). But I think you could put, eg. a
Chrysler 318, 383, 440, etc. in a massively over-weight vehicle like a
full-size truck towing a loaded trailer, put your foot to the floor on
the east side of the Rockies and not back off until the continental
divide, and it wouldn't even snort at you. In fact, I KNOW you can do
that because I've done it... repeatedly. Just last summer we ran the '66
Polara (440) from Junction to Van Horn on I-10 at 85 mph (legal on
that stretch) and then all the way up into western Colorado. Never
missed a lick, AC blasting all the way, ambients ranging from the low
90s to over 110.
Old June 16th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Y

"Gyzmologist" > wrote in message
> Robert Reynolds wrote:
> > Bill Putney wrote:
> >

> >> Time-sert?

> > The name of the product? I think he said it was a Thread-something.
> > It's black steel, and the thread on the outside has little gripping
> > teeth cut into the last couple of threads.

> It is like a reducer, threaded inside and out. We used them all the time
> on VW engines back in the 70s for spark plugs and case studs. The other
> major problem those engines had was dropping the exhaust valves for #3
> and #4 cylinders. That bank ran hotter because the oil cooler was placed
> over that side of the engine. Contrary to advertising hype the engines
> did overheat, and there was no indication of it until it sucked a valve
> sometime afterwards. There are two types of VW owners: those that have
> been stranded, and those that will be. I know, I have been.

Do you mean a HeliCoil?

Old June 16th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

Steve wrote:
> Some O wrote:
>
>> I'm sure I could take any car on a hard summer drive through our
>> western mountains, where the temperature gets up to 100?+, and
>> destroy the engine within one day.

> Oh, I think there are a LOT of engines you couldn't possibly harm that
> way. Granted, you can kill anything through outright abuse (clogged
> radiator, deliberate over-revving). But I think you could put, eg. a
> Chrysler 318, 383, 440, etc. in a massively over-weight vehicle like a
> full-size truck towing a loaded trailer, put your foot to the floor on
> the east side of the Rockies and not back off until the continental
> divide, and it wouldn't even snort at you. In fact, I KNOW you can do
> that because I've done it... repeatedly. Just last summer we ran the '66
> Polara (440) from Junction to Van Horn on I-10 at 85 mph (legal on that
> stretch) and then all the way up into western Colorado. Never missed a
> lick, AC blasting all the way, ambients ranging from the low 90s to over
> 110.

Back in 1985 my brother and I drove a 1970 Polara from Lubbock to
McAllen by way of Laredo nonstop in July. It never missed a beat.
There aren't any mountains there, but the temperature was 110 in some
places. To say that such extreme conditions would kill any car is a bit
of an overstatement. If that were the case, nobody in these places
would be able to keep a car running.
Old June 16th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

Mike Y wrote:
> "Gyzmologist" > wrote in message
>> Robert Reynolds wrote:

>>> The name of the product? I think he said it was a Thread-something.
>>> It's black steel, and the thread on the outside has little gripping
>>> teeth cut into the last couple of threads.

>> It is like a reducer, threaded inside and out. We used them all the time
>> on VW engines back in the 70s for spark plugs and case studs. The other
>> major problem those engines had was dropping the exhaust valves for #3
>> and #4 cylinders. That bank ran hotter because the oil cooler was placed
>> over that side of the engine. Contrary to advertising hype the engines
>> did overheat, and there was no indication of it until it sucked a valve
>> sometime afterwards. There are two types of VW owners: those that have
>> been stranded, and those that will be. I know, I have been.
>>

> Do you mean a HeliCoil?

Not a Helicoil. It's a little metal cylinder with threads on both sides.
Old June 17th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

it's a kit made by k&d tools i have used thenm in a few fords

Robert Reynolds wrote:

> Mike Y wrote:

> >> It is like a reducer, threaded inside and out. We used them all the time
> >> on VW engines back in the 70s for spark plugs and case studs. The other
> >> major problem those engines had was dropping the exhaust valves for #3
> >> and #4 cylinders. That bank ran hotter because the oil cooler was placed
> >> over that side of the engine. Contrary to advertising hype the engines
> >> did overheat, and there was no indication of it until it sucked a valve
> >> sometime afterwards. There are two types of VW owners: those that have
> >> been stranded, and those that will be. I know, I have been.
> >>

> > Do you mean a HeliCoil?
> >

> Not a Helicoil. It's a little metal cylinder with threads on both sides.

'93 Voyager inner tie rod ends SBlackfoot Chrysler 1 June 15th 07 01:40 AM
Tie-rod ends PJ Corvette 0 March 23rd 07 11:12 PM
Tie rod ends DanFXR Jeep 6 November 14th 05 12:25 AM
TIE ROD ENDS jc Chrysler 2 December 19th 04 01:41 PM
Passat tie rod ends steveg VW water cooled 7 November 13th 04 04:36 PM