New Saturn Aura XE - My opinion

Old September 6th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
New & Improved - N/F John

Default New Saturn Aura XE - My opinion

I purchased the Aura XE. The interior on the Aura is much fancier than my
2001 L200. I'd say the construction is also a lot better. The front seat
center arm rest storage compartment has no plastic hinge to break upon
opening. I told a Saturn rep who called during the initail ownership period
for my L200 that I though hinge would break on the L200. It did after 115K
miles.

The rear windows go all the way down on the Aura. Finish of side
compartments dampens rattling. No exterior antenna to remove for a car
wash. The antenna is in the rear window I think. The steering column is
telescoping and tilting with limitless adjustments. The trunk has a cargo
net on the side. Neat looking wheels. Hope the front wheel covers stay
cleanable unlike the L200. Plenty of safety features: side air bags and
curtain bags. Metal doors with strengthened design.

I thought the glove box was a bit small. The roof along the door is a bit
low. My head touched the roof when I leaned over to adjust the sideview
mirror. I lowered the seat and now it is less of an issue. The carpeting
looks a bit cheap. Rubber door arm rest has a fake stitch on it. Why? The
arm rest is so 1970's now that I think of it, but it is comfortable. I
think the interior door handle could have been moved forward.

This car is less awkward than the L200.

That's my two cents.

Old September 6th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

"New & Improved - N/F John" > wrote in message
>I purchased the Aura XE. The interior on the Aura is much fancier than my
> 2001 L200. I'd say the construction is also a lot better. The front seat
> center arm rest storage compartment has no plastic hinge to break upon
> opening. I told a Saturn rep who called during the initail ownership
> period
> for my L200 that I though hinge would break on the L200. It did after
> 115K
> miles.
>
> The rear windows go all the way down on the Aura. Finish of side
> compartments dampens rattling. No exterior antenna to remove for a car
> wash. The antenna is in the rear window I think. The steering column is
> telescoping and tilting with limitless adjustments. The trunk has a cargo
> net on the side. Neat looking wheels. Hope the front wheel covers stay
> cleanable unlike the L200. Plenty of safety features: side air bags and
> curtain bags. Metal doors with strengthened design.
>
> I thought the glove box was a bit small. The roof along the door is a bit
> low. My head touched the roof when I leaned over to adjust the sideview
> mirror. I lowered the seat and now it is less of an issue. The carpeting
> looks a bit cheap. Rubber door arm rest has a fake stitch on it. Why?
> The
> arm rest is so 1970's now that I think of it, but it is comfortable. I
> think the interior door handle could have been moved forward.
>
> This car is less awkward than the L200.
>
> That's my two cents.

Hi, John,
Sounds like you are happy with your Aura, overall. Thanks for taking the
time to post here. It may provide me with an alternative (assuming the Aura
hasn't been replaced or downgraded by GM) when my wife is ready to replace
her 2004 Honda Accord (although I expect that we're quite a few years from
being ready to do that). If my '99 SL is still alive, that will provide a
chance for us to be an all-Saturn family!

Old September 11th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
New & Improved - N/F John

"Steve" m> wrote in message
> "New & Improved - N/F John" > wrote in message
> >I purchased the Aura XE. The interior on the Aura is much fancier than

my
> > 2001 L200. I'd say the construction is also a lot better. The front

seat
> > center arm rest storage compartment has no plastic hinge to break upon
> > opening. I told a Saturn rep who called during the initail ownership
> > period
> > for my L200 that I though hinge would break on the L200. It did after
> > 115K
> > miles.
> >
> > The rear windows go all the way down on the Aura. Finish of side
> > compartments dampens rattling. No exterior antenna to remove for a car
> > wash. The antenna is in the rear window I think. The steering column

is
> > telescoping and tilting with limitless adjustments. The trunk has a

cargo
> > net on the side. Neat looking wheels. Hope the front wheel covers stay
> > cleanable unlike the L200. Plenty of safety features: side air bags and
> > curtain bags. Metal doors with strengthened design.
> >
> > I thought the glove box was a bit small. The roof along the door is a

bit
> > low. My head touched the roof when I leaned over to adjust the sideview
> > mirror. I lowered the seat and now it is less of an issue. The

carpeting
> > looks a bit cheap. Rubber door arm rest has a fake stitch on it. Why?
> > The
> > arm rest is so 1970's now that I think of it, but it is comfortable. I
> > think the interior door handle could have been moved forward.
> >
> > This car is less awkward than the L200.
> >
> > That's my two cents.

> Hi, John,
> Sounds like you are happy with your Aura, overall. Thanks for taking

the
> time to post here. It may provide me with an alternative (assuming the

Aura
> hasn't been replaced or downgraded by GM) when my wife is ready to replace
> her 2004 Honda Accord (although I expect that we're quite a few years from
> being ready to do that). If my '99 SL is still alive, that will provide a
> chance for us to be an all-Saturn family!

Yeah, I think it is super. Being a brand new model makes me a risktaker.
I'll have to keep an eye out for things. Shall I indulge you in one minor
oversight on part of the designers?

Old September 12th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
rkoerper

New & Improved - N/F John wrote:
> I purchased the Aura XE. The interior on the Aura is much fancier than my
> 2001 L200. I'd say the construction is also a lot better. The front seat
> center arm rest storage compartment has no plastic hinge to break upon
> opening. I told a Saturn rep who called during the initail ownership period
> for my L200 that I though hinge would break on the L200. It did after 115K
> miles.
>
> The rear windows go all the way down on the Aura. Finish of side
> compartments dampens rattling. No exterior antenna to remove for a car
> wash. The antenna is in the rear window I think. The steering column is
> telescoping and tilting with limitless adjustments. The trunk has a cargo
> net on the side. Neat looking wheels. Hope the front wheel covers stay
> cleanable unlike the L200. Plenty of safety features: side air bags and
> curtain bags. Metal doors with strengthened design.
>
> I thought the glove box was a bit small. The roof along the door is a bit
> low. My head touched the roof when I leaned over to adjust the sideview
> mirror. I lowered the seat and now it is less of an issue. The carpeting
> looks a bit cheap. Rubber door arm rest has a fake stitch on it. Why? The
> arm rest is so 1970's now that I think of it, but it is comfortable. I
> think the interior door handle could have been moved forward.
>
> This car is less awkward than the L200.
>
> That's my two cents.

As one who is 6'4", I made every adjustment to the drivers seat that I
could short of moving the runners for the seats themselves back, which I
don't think the dealership would have appreciated, I have more room in
my 97 SL1.