Audi MOT UK

Old December 10th 08, 06:57 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
A New Day

Default Audi MOT UK

took the old girl in for an MOT yesterday......1997 A4 V6 92000 miles.

She failed on one track rod end which I knew had gone..... wheel thumping at
a certain speed.

The odd thing was the tester said Oh and I must inform you, ALL 4 tyres have
3mm to 3.5mm tread remaining. I said, yes, I looked at them that morning and
concluded that they were all OK. Then I asked him what the legal requirement
was, thinking there was some change......1.6mm he said. So why did he tell
me when they are at least twice that figure.

dj

Old December 10th 08, 12:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Chris Bartram

A New Day wrote:
> took the old girl in for an MOT yesterday......1997 A4 V6 92000 miles.
>
> She failed on one track rod end which I knew had gone..... wheel thumping at
> a certain speed.
>
> The odd thing was the tester said Oh and I must inform you, ALL 4 tyres have
> 3mm to 3.5mm tread remaining. I said, yes, I looked at them that morning and
> concluded that they were all OK. Then I asked him what the legal requirement
> was, thinking there was some change......1.6mm he said. So why did he tell
> me when they are at least twice that figure.
>
> dj

Many people change at 3mm, and IIRC some police forces have a policy of
changing at that limit.
Old December 10th 08, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
A New Day

"Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
>A New Day wrote:
>> took the old girl in for an MOT yesterday......1997 A4 V6 92000 miles.
>>
>> She failed on one track rod end which I knew had gone..... wheel thumping
>> at a certain speed.
>>
>> The odd thing was the tester said Oh and I must inform you, ALL 4 tyres
>> have 3mm to 3.5mm tread remaining. I said, yes, I looked at them that
>> morning and concluded that they were all OK. Then I asked him what the
>> legal requirement was, thinking there was some change......1.6mm he said.
>> So why did he tell me when they are at least twice that figure.
>>
>> dj

> Many people change at 3mm, and IIRC some police forces have a policy of
> changing at that limit.

I suppose that will become law soon which is not a bad idea for safety.

Mind you when on ice, 10mm or 3mm makes no difference.

Old December 10th 08, 05:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Chris Bartram

A New Day wrote:
> "Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
>> A New Day wrote:
>>> took the old girl in for an MOT yesterday......1997 A4 V6 92000 miles.
>>>
>>> She failed on one track rod end which I knew had gone..... wheel thumping
>>> at a certain speed.
>>>
>>> The odd thing was the tester said Oh and I must inform you, ALL 4 tyres
>>> have 3mm to 3.5mm tread remaining. I said, yes, I looked at them that
>>> morning and concluded that they were all OK. Then I asked him what the
>>> legal requirement was, thinking there was some change......1.6mm he said.
>>> So why did he tell me when they are at least twice that figure.
>>>
>>> dj

>> Many people change at 3mm, and IIRC some police forces have a policy of
>> changing at that limit.
>>

> I suppose that will become law soon which is not a bad idea for safety.

No idea.

> Mind you when on ice, 10mm or 3mm makes no difference.

Indeed, but in the wet the difference between 3mm & 1.6 can be remarkable.
Old December 11th 08, 04:05 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jon B

Chris Bartram > wrote:

> A New Day wrote:

> >> Many people change at 3mm, and IIRC some police forces have a policy of
> >> changing at that limit.
> >>

> > I suppose that will become law soon which is not a bad idea for safety.
> >

> No idea.
>
> > Mind you when on ice, 10mm or 3mm makes no difference.
> >

> Indeed, but in the wet the difference between 3mm & 1.6 can be remarkable.

As can having a decent tyre in the first place, but they don't generally
seem to take any notice of that.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.