burning smell and smoke

Old December 25th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dan[_25_]

Default burning smell and smoke

Yesterday after letting my 1995 Audi 90 warm up, I get into the car and
notice a funny burning smell, turn the blower up to level 3 to get some
heat, and a puff of white-ish smoke comes out of the dash vents followed by
more of the same burning smell except much worse. Smelled like burning
electrics. From outside the car, i couldn't smell it as bad, so it seemed
more or less limited to inside the car. Any ideas what's causing this?
Maybe the blower motor on it's way out? Thanks!!

Old December 25th 07, 02:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_2_]

Dan wrote:
> Yesterday after letting my 1995 Audi 90 warm up, I get into the car
> and notice a funny burning smell, turn the blower up to level 3 to get
> some heat, and a puff of white-ish smoke comes out of the dash vents
> followed by more of the same burning smell except much worse. Smelled
> like burning electrics. From outside the car, i couldn't smell it as
> bad, so it seemed more or less limited to inside the car. Any ideas
> what's causing this? Maybe the blower motor on it's way out? Thanks!!

If you hear a change in the blower motor that might be it but I would
suspect a leaking heater core.

If you are in a colder climate the smoke you saw may have been steam
from the leaking water / antifreeze.

Check you coolant level for the next few days to see if there is any change.

Or maybe your Audi is just getting attention at Christmas like mine. My
'04 A4 1.8TQ6M just lost the coil pack on Cyl #3 on the way to the
family get together tonight. Luckily, I had two spares in the trunk and
sorted it in a few minutes.
Old December 25th 07, 08:36 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dan[_25_]

Hi Tony thanks for the reply. I smelled a strong odor of burning too, like
electrics..

Old December 25th 07, 10:12 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:58:01 -0600, "Dan" > wrote:

>Yesterday after letting my 1995 Audi 90 warm up, I get into the car and
>notice a funny burning smell, turn the blower up to level 3 to get some
>heat, and a puff of white-ish smoke comes out of the dash vents followed by
>more of the same burning smell except much worse. Smelled like burning
>electrics. From outside the car, i couldn't smell it as bad, so it seemed
>more or less limited to inside the car. Any ideas what's causing this?
>Maybe the blower motor on it's way out? Thanks!!

If the fan still works only on high speed, maybe the dropping resistor pack
going to Heaven?

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old November 22nd 08, 06:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
wilfwaterworth

rrrrrrrr

--
wilfwaterworth
wilfwaterworth's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=7326

Some smoke and burning smell from exhaust 2000A6 in cold weather Vk Audi 0 February 8th 07 02:45 PM
92 Voyager: A wisp of smoke, a burning bakelite smell, and... Hachiroku Dodge 2 January 16th 06 02:57 PM
Burning smell Mark-T Technology 18 November 29th 05 11:29 PM
audi80 2.0 (1992)burning oil smell,but no smoke? (AutoF) gaz245 Audi 0 June 2nd 04 05:57 PM
Burning oil smell cp Audi 14 June 1st 04 02:51 PM