89 YJ failed smog!

Old September 2nd 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Stevil

Default 89 YJ failed smog!

Hello All,

My 89 4.2L YJ just failed its smog on HC, results as follows...

15mph MAX 124 AVG 34 MEASURE 125
25mph MAX 104 AVG 23 MEASURE 104

As you can see it was a real close one, it was well below average on CO
and NO.

I should have put two and two together as I noticed the other day some
soot build-up on the tail pipe. SO my question is beyond changing the
PCV valve, an oil change, and high octane gas, is there anything else I
can do? I changed the PCV valve, distributor cap, rotor and ignition
wires three months ago, do you think changing the sparks would help
any?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of this matter and
your replies.

Cheers, kind regards,
Steve

Old September 2nd 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Steve,

High octane gas burns slower and colder than the gasoline you are supposed
to be using therefore creating more pollution (especially hydrocarbons).

Make sure you run the vehicle hard before the test so the engine is fully
heated up.

It probably wouldn't hurt to run a can of Techron, BG44, SeaFoam, or
Berrymans into that tank of high-test you have there, just make sure you run
that tank as close to empty as you dare before refilling it with regular.

You may want to get a can of GumOut Jet Spray and give the carb a thorough
cleaning.

New sparkplugs are probably not necessary but it wouldn't hurt to pull them
and give then a good look to see it there is any indication of a misfire.

Let us know..

ups.com...

Old September 2nd 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

I failed emissions in my Toyota recently. I got a bottle of "Garunteed to
pass" emissions formula. I added it with a full tank of gas and ran in
nearly empty, then I added another bottle and went for a 20 mile hard drive
before going directly to the emissions station.

Passed with flying colors.

HTH

Carl

ups.com...

Old September 2nd 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

In message . com>, "Stevil"
wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>My 89 4.2L YJ just failed its smog on HC, results as follows...
>
>15mph MAX 124 AVG 34 MEASURE 125
>25mph MAX 104 AVG 23 MEASURE 104
>
>As you can see it was a real close one, it was well below average on CO
>and NO.
>
>I should have put two and two together as I noticed the other day some
>soot build-up on the tail pipe. SO my question is beyond changing the
>PCV valve, an oil change, and high octane gas, is there anything else I
>can do? I changed the PCV valve, distributor cap, rotor and ignition
>wires three months ago, do you think changing the sparks would help
>any?
>
>Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of this matter and
>your replies.
>
>Cheers, kind regards,
>Steve

Some soot on the tail pipe is pretty much normal on a vehicle with a cat
converter. If there was a lot of it, that would indicate it's running rich, but
if your CO readings were low, it's not rich. High octane gas might help a
little with high NOx, but won't do a thing for HC.

HC is unburned fuel. Anything that can cause a misfire could cause this.
Ignition problems, or a lean mixture would be what I'd look for first. Make sure
the timing is where it belongs. Could also be a dead cat or air injection
system.

Old September 2nd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

"bllsht" > wrote in message
> In message . com>,

"Stevil"
> wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >My 89 4.2L YJ just failed its smog on HC, results as follows...
> >
> >15mph MAX 124 AVG 34 MEASURE 125
> >25mph MAX 104 AVG 23 MEASURE 104
> >
> >As you can see it was a real close one, it was well below average on CO
> >and NO.
> >
> >I should have put two and two together as I noticed the other day some
> >soot build-up on the tail pipe. SO my question is beyond changing the
> >PCV valve, an oil change, and high octane gas, is there anything else I
> >can do? I changed the PCV valve, distributor cap, rotor and ignition
> >wires three months ago, do you think changing the sparks would help
> >any?
> >
> >Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of this matter and
> >your replies.
> >
> >Cheers, kind regards,
> >Steve

> Some soot on the tail pipe is pretty much normal on a vehicle with a cat
> converter. If there was a lot of it, that would indicate it's running
> rich, but if your CO readings were low, it's not rich. High octane gas
> might help a little with high NOx, but won't do a thing for HC.
>
> HC is unburned fuel. Anything that can cause a misfire could cause this.
> Ignition problems, or a lean mixture would be what I'd look for first.
> Make sure the timing is where it belongs. Could also be a dead cat
> or air injection system.

Along with the misfire idea, change the spark plugs. If the air injection
system is sub-standard, that would give you a point or two on the HC too.
On a vehicle this old, often the pump seizes up and someone puts plugs in
the holes for the AIR nozzles.

Earle

Old September 5th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

A clean air filter does wonders for HC emissions, so does new plugs....

I would also recommend you check the new distributor cap and rotor out.
There are a bad batch of them out on store shelves. The rotors are too
short and start arcing out very soon after installing them.

High octane might help smooth things out if it sputters at idle. Your
engine calls for high test if running hot and loaded to avoid engine
ping.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's