DXTweak2 fixes GTL/GTR Sidewinder Controller problem

Old March 22nd 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default DXTweak2 fixes GTL/GTR Sidewinder Controller problem

I'm posting this in case somebody looks here for a solution to this problem.
After installing the GTR mod I never could get my Microsoft Sidewinder to
work with separate wheel and pedal axis. When set to "combined" it was
fine. GT Legends would not work with separate pedals either. For some
reason GPL worked fine with separate wheel/pedals. A search of the problem
turned up the DXTweak2 program that I got at
http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_so...DX%20Tweak%202
This fixed it easily. Works great.

-Tony-

Old March 22nd 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Tony,

I have a couple assumptions/questions to ask: (for clarity of why you even
had a problem)

1 You must me talking about an XP computer?
2 Ya dont have the USB version of the Sidewinder wheel?

2A: If you arent answering YES, to #2 of the above, did you install your
Sidewinder software when you setup the wheel, or did you decide NOT to
install because windos warned you that "this software had not been tested
for this version of windows"? Again with XP & USB versions, you install
anyhow and install the profiles.
I think it is save to say, that me and eveyone else with USB version & XP
had not had this problem, because we use and run the Sidewinder Profiler
software that is engrained in the driver.

Lastly, I thank you if you reply, becuase if you have a non USB version,
onto XP, then sounds like you have solved one of the problems of changing
the Combined/seperate with MS Sidewinder, with the MS driver & Software
missin, which is good to know it is at least usable.

Tony Jester enlightened us with:

Old March 22nd 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> Tony,
>
> I have a couple assumptions/questions to ask: (for clarity of why you even
> had a problem)
>
> 1 You must me talking about an XP computer?
> 2 Ya dont have the USB version of the Sidewinder wheel?
>
> 2A: If you arent answering YES, to #2 of the above, did you install your
> Sidewinder software when you setup the wheel, or did you decide NOT to
> install because windos warned you that "this software had not been tested
> for this version of windows"? Again with XP & USB versions, you install
> anyhow and install the profiles.
> I think it is save to say, that me and eveyone else with USB version & XP
> had not had this problem, because we use and run the Sidewinder Profiler
> software that is engrained in the driver.
>
> Lastly, I thank you if you reply, becuase if you have a non USB version,
> onto XP, then sounds like you have solved one of the problems of changing
> the Combined/seperate with MS Sidewinder, with the MS driver & Software
> missin, which is good to know it is at least usable.

I'm really sorry, I should have been more clear. Here is what I have:
Windows XP. Microsoft USB non-FF Sidewinder Wheel/Pedals. Sidewinder
Profiler software Version 4.0.

I always used a TM wheel and pedals that I modified for separate
wheel/pedals and never had any problems. But when I finally got sick and
tired of repairing/rebuilding it I got this MS Sidewinder and installed the
4.0 Profiler software for it. It worked fine for GPL, so all was well.
However, when I got the GTR mod for the EA F1 game, I never could get the
separate pedals to work, I always had to use combined. I never spent the
time to investigate why it didn't work, partly because having separate
pedals doesn't seem nearly so critical with the GTR mod as with GPL.
Obviously, it is impossible to go fast in GPL without separate pedals.

Now I have GT Legends! Wow, I LOVE this sim! I can't beleive how much fun
I'm having. So I wanted to get the pedals working properly. I searched and
found it is a common problem solved with DXTweak2. I posted because when I
originally asked here about it a few years ago, nobody could answer why. If
somebody comes here looking now, it will be here.

However, I still don't understand the Profile software. What is it and why
is it needed???

-Tony-

Old March 24th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Tony,

When you installed the wheel, did you insert the CD and install the drivers
and the profiler? When you do so, you would have gotten the warning the
software "might not be compatible with window2000 (even though your in XP)
but you tell it to do so anyhow... When done, you should see (when you
look in the control panel, and double click the wheel [to see the
properties] you will find that the wheel has Sidewinder-profiler SW, that
kicks in about there (also see a SW in the tray if you left it ENABLED)...
this is where you can assign keys, to buttons on the wheel, open already
concived "profiles" like Monster truck madness, or GPL ((which I use for
nascar with a few tweaks...)) and I cant recall all the settings, I have the
Non FF, but mine is FF NOW... you set the sensitivity of the wheel,
seperate or combined and all that, oh and test. have you seen that part?

if not Windows see's the wheel probably like a generic 2 or 3 axis joystic
which you can modify and all that but I recall not being able to have
"windows" see the wheel as a Sidewinder and have all the other options and
all that.

Old March 25th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> Tony,
>
> When you installed the wheel, did you insert the CD and install the

drivers
> and the profiler? When you do so, you would have gotten the warning the
> software "might not be compatible with window2000 (even though your in XP)
> but you tell it to do so anyhow... When done, you should see (when you
> look in the control panel, and double click the wheel [to see the
> properties] you will find that the wheel has Sidewinder-profiler SW, that
> kicks in about there (also see a SW in the tray if you left it ENABLED)...
> this is where you can assign keys, to buttons on the wheel, open already
> concived "profiles" like Monster truck madness, or GPL ((which I use for
> nascar with a few tweaks...)) and I cant recall all the settings, I have

the
> Non FF, but mine is FF NOW... you set the sensitivity of the wheel,
> seperate or combined and all that, oh and test. have you seen that part?
>
> if not Windows see's the wheel probably like a generic 2 or 3 axis joystic
> which you can modify and all that but I recall not being able to have
> "windows" see the wheel as a Sidewinder and have all the other options and
> all that.

Yes, I installed the Profile 4.0 software from the disk and yes, I can click
on the Profiler icon in the system tray to access the properties of the game
I have it set to. I used to need a different one for every game (I think)
because (as I recall) the only game that would allow Separate Pedals was
GPL. I know for sure GTL and GTR would NOT allow separate pedals and I'm
pretty sure Nascar 4/ Nascar 2003 would not either, but I could be wrong on
that last point (I'm not a big NASCAR fan, althought it IS a lot of fun
online)

When in the "test" window of the Profiler, the controls react exactly as
they are supposed to when set to "separate". However, in GTR/GTL they do
not. Either the accelerator or the brakes are either all the way on or all
the way off. You can't control them.

Anyway, since running DXTweak2 I have had no problems at all. Just fun,
fun, fun with GTL :-) I also bought the boxed GTR version on sale, but I
haven't installed it yet cuz I'm having too much fun with GTL. Gotta keep
earning more credits! I bought a red Shelby R-Model, but can't drive it any
Challange races yet. I'm driving the green Mustang Coupe I won. I like the
engine sound of the Coupe better than the R-Model, but of course the
fastback is a lot "cooler" looking.

-Tony-

Old March 25th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Tony Jester wrote:
Snip

> Yes, I installed the Profile 4.0 software from the disk and yes, I
> can click on the Profiler icon in the system tray to access the
> properties of the game I have it set to. I used to need a different
> one for every game (I think) because (as I recall) the only game that
> would allow Separate Pedals was GPL. I know for sure GTL and GTR
> would NOT allow separate pedals and I'm pretty sure Nascar 4/ Nascar
> 2003 would not either, but I could be wrong on that last point (I'm
> not a big NASCAR fan, althought it IS a lot of fun online)

You are pretty much wrong about what games do seperate pedals. even nascar
racing 2 did seperate pedals. you would have isues (I did) mocrosoft games,
like MTM 1&2 MCM, midtown etc.... the

> When in the "test" window of the Profiler, the controls react exactly
> as they are supposed to when set to "separate". However, in GTR/GTL
> they do not. Either the accelerator or the brakes are either all the
> way on or all the way off. You can't control them.

in GTR or GTL, there is a "LESS THAN INTUITIVE" way to assign pedals, in the
configuration screen... that many didnt figure out without playing around
(because we might never seen the way this is done coming from Papy games
especially.

Anywho--- In gtl or GTR, (I no longer have GTR, I have Rfactor, I think
works the same, and I have GTL) all of which are using my NASCAR sidewinder
Profile, which is based on the GPL profile that was in CDrom driver disk for
Sidewinder...

In GTR & or GTL and rFactor (and Rich Burns Rally IIRC) you click on gas,
press on the gas, same with the brake (seperate lines in the screen)
if you clicked on ?brake/gas (one line with both) slot, it was then assumed
it was combined control.

I do the GTL and RBR, & rFactor for whimsical running when I am up for it,
but my 'puter is setup for NR03, in fact if the new vid drivers mess with
NR03, I revert immediatly so new games sometimes have suffering artifacts
(or not)...

because my leagues start as soon as I can get home. I dont wanna have to
set everything back each time I swap games. in fact I dont.

> Anyway, since running DXTweak2 I have had no problems at all.

Glad to read it.... Well as with XP and hell Windows since 95, there seems
to be as many varied ways to accomplish the same thing as there are
techniques at scooping **** (abundance), Hehehee!

Old March 25th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

PS this is me, ---> plowboy (at home)

Old March 27th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Sting32" > wrote in message
t...

> You are pretty much wrong about what games do seperate pedals. even

nascar > racing 2 did seperate pedals. you would have isues (I did)
mocrosoft games,
> like MTM 1&2 MCM, midtown etc.... the

No, I wasn't talking about which games did separate pedals, I was refering
to which games would not do separate pedals with the USB Sidewinder. I
never had any problmes with separate pedals on any of the sims that
supported it when using my old highly modified TM wheel. That system used a
special PDPI gameport adapter board and worked great. It was only after I
switched to the Sidewinder did the problems start.

-Tony-

Old March 27th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Tony,

In any case, sounds like you got her going now, & happy simulatin' to ya...

Wierd, as it is my experience that the MS wheels had "less trouble" with ANY
games, even the new games than anything I have had in my house. I have had
TM wheels (with ACM card) since 96 the T-2 wheel & pedals. Then I got USB
sidewinders... BTW, I have not only my machine, but several racing buddies
I have converted to MS wheels (when you could buy them at anywhere) we all
converted just because of the OPPOSITE of your troubles, when we couldn't
get the "wheel du jure" that they owned to work right... each case for me
(12 wheels) ms worked from install on..