1968 CORVETTE HOOD PROBLEM

Old October 6th 04, 04:16 PM
KYBRIGGS82

Default 1968 CORVETTE HOOD PROBLEM

THE PASSENGER SIDE OF MY 1968 CORVETTE BIG BLOCK ROADSTER HOOD POPS UP
AFTER DRIVING OVER SMALL BUMPS IN THE ROAD EVEN AT LOW SPEEDS. I'VE TRIED
ADJUXTMENTS BUT I STILL CAN'T SEEM TO KEEP THE HOOD FROM POPPING UP. ANY
IDEAS ON HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?

Old October 6th 04, 05:45 PM
Bob G.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:16:30 -0400, "KYBRIGGS82" >
wrote:

>THE PASSENGER SIDE OF MY 1968 CORVETTE BIG BLOCK ROADSTER HOOD POPS UP
>AFTER DRIVING OVER SMALL BUMPS IN THE ROAD EVEN AT LOW SPEEDS. I'VE TRIED
>ADJUXTMENTS BUT I STILL CAN'T SEEM TO KEEP THE HOOD FROM POPPING UP. ANY
>IDEAS ON HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?

What kind of adjustments (and to what) did you attempt to make....

The mechanism is pretty darn simple... just a latch and a rod that
slips under that latch...

I suspect that you have the adjustment rod turned way too far
"in"...so much so that it does not completely enter inside the latch
itself...
The 1st thing I would try is to screw the rod "out" 3-4 complete
turns to ensure it completely locks deep inside the latch..

If that fails I would look to see if the latch itself is fully closing
....30+ years worth of dirt and grime may have done a number on the
movement ...

You could remove the pointed adjustment rod and manuelly insert it
into the latch with the hood open to determine what is really wrong..

Bob Griffiths

Old October 6th 04, 05:45 PM
Bob G.

Old October 6th 04, 08:00 PM
KYBRIGGS82

THANKS FOR YOUR IDEAS. I WENT INTO THE GARAGE AND REMOVED THE MALE PART
FROM ITS HOOD PLATE AND MANUALLY PLACED THE PART INTO THE FEMALE HOOD
PLATE.. IF I MOVE THE MALE PART AROUND IT WILL FALL OUT.. NOW WHAT?

Old October 6th 04, 08:00 PM
KYBRIGGS82

Old October 7th 04, 05:09 PM
Bob G.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:00:48 -0400, "KYBRIGGS82" >
wrote:

>THANKS FOR YOUR IDEAS. I WENT INTO THE GARAGE AND REMOVED THE MALE PART
>FROM ITS HOOD PLATE AND MANUALLY PLACED THE PART INTO THE FEMALE HOOD
>PLATE.. IF I MOVE THE MALE PART AROUND IT WILL FALL OUT.. NOW WHAT?

Wish I could look at the darn thing... I just went out to the garage
and looked at the hood locks on my 72 76 & 79 and they are all
identical... and I 'messed" aroiund looking at just how they work.

IF you take your fingers can you depress the spring around the
male pin pretty easy... ? if not is the spring mounted correctly?
seems after lookijng at my cars if the spring does not comress the
latch will not hold the hood down... ? and on the other hand if the
spring is so loose it may release on hitting a bump

SO I pulled out my Dr. Rebuild catalog (best darn source of little off
beat parts) phone 203-366-1332 in Ct.

The good news is that I just looked in my Dr. Rebuilds Catalog
and they list the 4 individual parts of the male part...the pin, the
retainer,the spring, and the seat ..each sold seperately or all 4 for
$24,50

The female portion of the mechanism is a little more salty... like the
complete mechanism for $150.00 ouch... especially since it looks
like a pretty damn simple If you need to replace that I would call
Contemporary Corvette in Penna...(a corvette only salvage yard)
and see what a used mechanism would cost... 1 800 367 8388

Compare the action of your good latch with that of your bad latch and
see if you can figure out why one is working and the other is
not...and go from there...

Just looking at mine my bet is on the spring and/or the retainer...
the spring itself lists for $5.50 and the retainer for $3.50

Lots of luck...

Bob Griffiths
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
68 SS 396 Chevelle

Old October 7th 04, 05:09 PM
Bob G.

Old October 9th 04, 04:43 AM
Diode

Bob G. spoke thusly...

> Just looking at mine my bet is on the spring and/or the retainer...
> the spring itself lists for $5.50 and the retainer for $3.50

I have to agree with Bob...that sounds completely logical. I saw Dr.
Rebuild at Carlisle this year. To me, it looked like they had a lot of
junk. On the other hand, I have heard positive things about them from a
couple of people in this NG. So go figure...

--
'68 L-79 Coupe
Old October 9th 04, 04:43 AM
Diode