Hemi Challenger

Old September 27th 07, 12:20 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_75_]

Default Hemi Challenger

"Les Benn" > wrote in
:

> "daytripper" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:24:21 -0700, "Les Benn" > wrote:
>>
>>>have you guys been checking out the new Challenger? I definitely am
>>>really thinking hard about getting one.

>> I saw one - briefly - a couple of days ago on a customer test drive
>> loop. It was bright red and gorgeous, and was hauling butt on the
>> highway. Sounded awesome...
>>
>> /daytripper
>> '05 hemi durango ltd

> The Mustang Guys are having kittens worried about having a car that
> will blow the doors off the Shelby GT500 Mustang.

This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger will
see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the Challenger
isn't competing with the GT500.

> I love competition!!
> There goes GM with the new Camaro last to market and butt ugly too.

I'll give you that.
Old September 27th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
daytripper

:

>>> I saw one - briefly - a couple of days ago on a customer test drive
>>> loop. It was bright red and gorgeous, and was hauling butt on the
>>> highway. Sounded awesome...
>>>
>>> /daytripper
>>> '05 hemi durango ltd

>> The Mustang Guys are having kittens worried about having a car that
>> will blow the doors off the Shelby GT500 Mustang.

>This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger will
>see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the Challenger
>isn't competing with the GT500.
>
>> I love competition!!
>> There goes GM with the new Camaro last to market and butt ugly too.

>I'll give you that.

Doh! I totally spaced on this thread - what I saw was a bright red Hemi
Charger, not a Challenger.

But doesn't the Challenger look remarkably like the old Barracuda?

/daytripper
'05 hemi durango
Old September 27th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Joe wrote:
> "Les Benn" > wrote in
> :

>>> I saw one - briefly - a couple of days ago on a customer test drive
>>> loop. It was bright red and gorgeous, and was hauling butt on the
>>> highway. Sounded awesome...
>>>
>>> /daytripper
>>> '05 hemi durango ltd

>> The Mustang Guys are having kittens worried about having a car that
>> will blow the doors off the Shelby GT500 Mustang.

> This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger will
> see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the Challenger
> isn't competing with the GT500.

I'm not at all worried about a N/A Charger/Challenger blowing the doors
off of a GT500. That engine in the GT500 is just a $25 blower pulley
away from 600+ hp. Then if that isn't enough there is always the option
of a Kenne Bell twin screw blower that will get you 800+ hp. Chrysler
doesn't have a Hemi in anything they sell currently, or planned, that
has a snowball's chance in hell of overpowering a blown 5.4L, 32-valve
V-8 of the type that is in the GT500. It is basically the Ford GT
engine with an iron block and a Roots blower instead of a twinscrew. I
will say that Ford definitely knows how to build a supercharged V-8 that
is extremely reliable and can put out some outrageous horsepower numbers
with a few inexpensive tweaks and without even removing the valve covers.

Old September 27th 07, 01:31 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:55:18 -0400, daytripper

:

>>> The Mustang Guys are having kittens worried about having a car that
>>> will blow the doors off the Shelby GT500 Mustang.

>>This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger will
>>see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the Challenger
>>isn't competing with the GT500.
>>
>>> I love competition!!
>>> There goes GM with the new Camaro last to market and butt ugly too.

>>I'll give you that.

>Doh! I totally spaced on this thread - what I saw was a bright red Hemi
>Charger, not a Challenger.
>
>But doesn't the Challenger look remarkably like the old Barracuda?
>
>/daytripper
>'05 hemi durango

So did the original challenger. It was a bit longer than the Cuda if I
rember correctly. They would have likely made the new car a 'Cuda if
they hadn't killed Plymouth.

Old September 27th 07, 03:12 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sep 26, 6:55 pm, daytripper > wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:20:03 GMT, Joe > wrote:

> But doesn't the Challenger look remarkably like the old Barracuda?

Not at all.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Patrick

Old September 27th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
daytripper

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:12:10 -0700, wrote:

>On Sep 26, 6:55 pm, daytripper > wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:20:03 GMT, Joe > wrote:

>> But doesn't the Challenger look remarkably like the old Barracuda?

>Not at all.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

>Patrick

Well, duh - so you managed to find a first gen model - the one model that
decidedly has no resemblance to the Challenger concept car.

I was referring to the E platform models from the early '70s.
Like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1...racuda_340.jpg

Compared to the more angular Challenger sheet metal on the same platform...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...llenger_RT.jpg

....I think the new Challenger looks more like the 'Cuda, with the exception
being the "grill", which is clearly modeled from the old Challenger nose...

/daytripper
'05 hemi durango
Old September 27th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:12:10 -0700, wrote:

>On Sep 26, 6:55 pm, daytripper > wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:20:03 GMT, Joe > wrote:

>> But doesn't the Challenger look remarkably like the old Barracuda?

>Not at all.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

>Patrick

Not THAT old. Look at a 1972-1974

Old September 27th 07, 05:07 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn[_2_]

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> Joe wrote:
>> "Les Benn" > wrote in
>> :

>>> The Mustang Guys are having kittens worried about having a car that
>>> will blow the doors off the Shelby GT500 Mustang.

>> This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger
>> will see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the
>> Challenger isn't competing with the GT500.

> I'm not at all worried about a N/A Charger/Challenger blowing the doors
> off of a GT500. That engine in the GT500 is just a $25 blower pulley away
> from 600+ hp. Then if that isn't enough there is always the option of a
> Kenne Bell twin screw blower that will get you 800+ hp. Chrysler doesn't
> have a Hemi in anything they sell currently, or planned, that has a
> snowball's chance in hell of overpowering a blown 5.4L, 32-valve V-8 of
> the type that is in the GT500. It is basically the Ford GT engine with an
> iron block and a Roots blower instead of a twinscrew. I will say that
> Ford definitely knows how to build a supercharged V-8 that is extremely
> reliable and can put out some outrageous horsepower numbers with a few
> inexpensive tweaks and without even removing the valve covers.
>
>>> I love competition!!
>>> There goes GM with the new Camaro last to market and butt ugly too.

>> I'll give you that.

lol a measly 5.4L Ford engine (probably out of a lawnboy mower) even with a
blower will be a dog compared to a Hemi Challenger with the new 6.1L Hemi
Challenger and besides Ford can only build about 30 of the GT500 Shelbys a
year. Dodge will eat them for lunch in sales. How many guys/gals do you know
that are willing to buy a GT500 for 22K dealer markup over the 47K sticker?
Mustang is all decoration. Dodge will rule again with the Hemi.Well at least
There will be lots of mustangs on Dodge used car lots in 2008.

Old September 27th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Les Benn wrote:
> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>> Joe wrote:
>>> "Les Benn" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger
>>> will see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the
>>> Challenger isn't competing with the GT500.

>> I'm not at all worried about a N/A Charger/Challenger blowing the doors
>> off of a GT500. That engine in the GT500 is just a $25 blower pulley away
>> from 600+ hp. Then if that isn't enough there is always the option of a
>> Kenne Bell twin screw blower that will get you 800+ hp. Chrysler doesn't
>> have a Hemi in anything they sell currently, or planned, that has a
>> snowball's chance in hell of overpowering a blown 5.4L, 32-valve V-8 of
>> the type that is in the GT500. It is basically the Ford GT engine with an
>> iron block and a Roots blower instead of a twinscrew. I will say that
>> Ford definitely knows how to build a supercharged V-8 that is extremely
>> reliable and can put out some outrageous horsepower numbers with a few
>> inexpensive tweaks and without even removing the valve covers.

>>> I'll give you that.

> lol a measly 5.4L Ford engine (probably out of a lawnboy mower) even with a
> blower will be a dog compared to a Hemi Challenger with the new 6.1L Hemi
> Challenger and besides Ford can only build about 30 of the GT500 Shelbys a
> year. Dodge will eat them for lunch in sales. How many guys/gals do you know
> that are willing to buy a GT500 for 22K dealer markup over the 47K sticker?
> Mustang is all decoration. Dodge will rule again with the Hemi.Well at least
> There will be lots of mustangs on Dodge used car lots in 2008.

Do your homework before posting. If you did you would know the engine
in the GT500 is choked from the factory. Ford had to detune it and put
a Roots blower on it (instead of a twinscrew) to keep the horsepower at
500. With a $25 pulley swap it is capable of close to 600 hp. With a
decent tune there is even more power to be had.

The sad fact is you can get only so much power from a street driven 6.1L
N/A engine unless you can somehow change the atmospheric pressure of the
Earth. With a blown engine this is no longer a limitation. You do know
there is very little difference in displacement between 5.4 liters and
6.1 liters? If 5.4 liters is measly then 6.1 liters is just a little
above measly. You are comparing a 376 cubic inch engine to a 333 cubic
inch engine. I'll take 333 cubic inches with a blower any day over 376
cubic inches naturally aspirated.

Ford is selling every GT500 it makes. I wish they made more to keep the
price down. It seems there are plenty of buyers at current prices. I
won't be one of them though. If the Challenger is priced right and
delivers good performance it will sell. However, if you think a
naturally aspirated Hemi of any variety will out power a GT500 engine
then you are going to be disappointed. Unless, of course, you know how
to increase the atmospheric pressure of the Earth in the vicinity of
that Challenger. Even then, the pressure increase would have to effect
only the Challenger and not the GT500 running against it otherwise there
is no advantage gained.
Old September 27th 07, 07:54 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Les Benn" > wrote in message

> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>> Joe wrote:
>>> "Les Benn" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> This remains to be seen. And some still don't believe the Challenger
>>> will see production, but I hope they're wrong. Bottom line, the
>>> Challenger isn't competing with the GT500.

>> I'm not at all worried about a N/A Charger/Challenger blowing the doors
>> off of a GT500. That engine in the GT500 is just a $25 blower pulley
>> away from 600+ hp. Then if that isn't enough there is always the option
>> of a Kenne Bell twin screw blower that will get you 800+ hp. Chrysler
>> doesn't have a Hemi in anything they sell currently, or planned, that has
>> a snowball's chance in hell of overpowering a blown 5.4L, 32-valve V-8 of
>> the type that is in the GT500. It is basically the Ford GT engine with
>> an iron block and a Roots blower instead of a twinscrew. I will say that
>> Ford definitely knows how to build a supercharged V-8 that is extremely
>> reliable and can put out some outrageous horsepower numbers with a few
>> inexpensive tweaks and without even removing the valve covers.

>>> I'll give you that.

> lol a measly 5.4L Ford engine (probably out of a lawnboy mower) even with
> a blower will be a dog compared to a Hemi Challenger with the new 6.1L
> Hemi Challenger and besides Ford can only build about 30 of the GT500
> Shelbys a year. Dodge will eat them for lunch in sales. How many guys/gals
> do you know that are willing to buy a GT500 for 22K dealer markup over the
> 47K sticker? Mustang is all decoration. Dodge will rule again with the
> Hemi.Well at least There will be lots of mustangs on Dodge used car lots
> in 2008.

If you want to drive a car with a Mexican So-Called "Hemi" LMFAO engine,
have at it, I'll stick with the good old made-in-the USA Ford engine, thank
you very much.

Hemi Challenger Les Benn[_2_] Dodge 132 October 16th 07 06:49 PM
Autos 1969 - 1977 ] [150de467] - 1970 Dodge Challenger Hemi(2).jpg (6/6) yvonttycomprendre Auto Photos 0 September 15th 07 11:09 PM
Last ones - File 129 of 139 - 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger RT plum crazy fvl.jpg (1/1) Mike G[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 31st 06 08:31 AM
Last ones - File 128 of 139 - 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger RT plum crazy Engine.jpg (1/1) Mike G[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 31st 06 08:30 AM
REPOST (By req): Gilmore Auto Museum - Sep 05 - 1970 Dodge Challenger R-T Hemi - fvr.jpg (1/1) Roadsign[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 22nd 06 02:09 PM