How long can a popping CV joint last?

Old January 2nd 18, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default How long can a popping CV joint last?

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 12:03:51 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:07:01 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> >
> > Better still, trade in for a RWD.

> It would probably be a lot cheaper to fix the CV joint - or would it?

I have never owned a front wheel drive vehicle before. I don't think I want one either.
Old January 2nd 18, 07:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

wrote:

>> > I have never owned a front wheel drive vehicle before. I don't think I want one either.

>> I had no trouble pulling out of an icy slightly-uphill parking lot (yes,
>> we have those in SoCal -- up in the ski areas) with my Sentra after
>> watching a guy with a RWD pickup spin helplessly. Probably just skill,
>> right?
>>
>> OTOH, the most fun I've ever had in a car was driving an S2000 down the
>> mountain.

> How to get your vehicle unstuck with a 2'' x 4'' Youtube

The winch made of two hefty branches and a rope was interesting, but I
suspect I'd be totally exhausted from the branch-flipping before the car
moved an appreciable distance. I wonder how laying heavy chain (keep 20
feet or so of it in your trunk) down in front of a tire would work.
Zigzaggy, not straight out.

All we could find was a piece of cardboard. Guess how well that worked :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
Why do men's hearts beat faster, their knees get weak, their throats
Old January 2nd 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 1/2/18 1:39 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

I wonder how laying heavy chain
> (keep 20 feet or so of it in your trunk) down in front of a tire would
> work. Zigzaggy, not straight out.

When we lived in Ohio in the 1950s, we did that all the time , to just
get out of of an icy spot.

A heavy chain was also handy for getting pulled out, or pulling
someone else. (of course we had real bumpers then ;-)

Also, if we had regular tire chains, but did not want to install them
on tire, we would lay them out in front (or back) of tires. Again,
just to get out of a stuck situation. Did that a few winters ago in
Colorado.

Old January 2nd 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 11:14:28 AM UTC-6, Retired wrote:
> On 1/2/18 1:39 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> I wonder how laying heavy chain
> > (keep 20 feet or so of it in your trunk) down in front of a tire would
> > work. Zigzaggy, not straight out.
> >

> When we lived in Ohio in the 1950s, we did that all the time , to just
> get out of of an icy spot.
>
> A heavy chain was also handy for getting pulled out, or pulling
> someone else. (of course we had real bumpers then ;-)
>
> Also, if we had regular tire chains, but did not want to install them
> on tire, we would lay them out in front (or back) of tires. Again,
> just to get out of a stuck situation. Did that a few winters ago in
> Colorado.

The Youtube videos about tieing/strapping a piece of two by four wood crossway on a tire/wheel. The tire that is stuck does a 'bunny hop' forward, or backward each time it goes around.
Old January 2nd 18, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 01/02/2018 09:14 AM, Retired wrote:
> On 1/2/18 1:39 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> I wonder how laying heavy chain
>> (keep 20 feet or so of it in your trunk) down in front of a tire would
>> work. Zigzaggy, not straight out.

> When we lived in Ohio in the 1950s, we did that all the time , to just
> get out of of an icy spot.

Damn, I'm really proud that I thought of this myself then!

> A heavy chain was also handy for getting pulled out, or pulling
> someone else. (of course we had real bumpers then ;-)

SoCalian here, only theoretical knowledge except when I go skiing. I
skidded my 83 Sentra into a snowbank once and was hopelessly stuck. A
farmer happened along with a heavy rope with a hook and pulled me out
easily. Who knew that I had nice little welded loops on the frame that
made this possible? Why don't all cars have nice little welded loops?

> Also, if we had regular tire chains, but did not want to install them
> on tire, we would lay them out in front (or back) of tires. Again,
> just to get out of a stuck situation. Did that a few winters ago in
> Colorado.

Nobody told me you weren't supposed to drive 45 with chains until it was
too late :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other
Old January 2nd 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 12:32:16 PM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/02/2018 09:14 AM, Retired wrote:
> > On 1/2/18 1:39 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how laying heavy chain
> >> (keep 20 feet or so of it in your trunk) down in front of a tire would
> >> work. Zigzaggy, not straight out.

> > When we lived in Ohio in the 1950s, we did that all the time , to just
> > get out of of an icy spot.

> Damn, I'm really proud that I thought of this myself then!
>
> > A heavy chain was also handy for getting pulled out, or pulling
> > someone else. (of course we had real bumpers then ;-)

> SoCalian here, only theoretical knowledge except when I go skiing. I
> skidded my 83 Sentra into a snowbank once and was hopelessly stuck. A
> farmer happened along with a heavy rope with a hook and pulled me out
> easily. Who knew that I had nice little welded loops on the frame that
> made this possible? Why don't all cars have nice little welded loops?
>
> > Also, if we had regular tire chains, but did not want to install them
> > on tire, we would lay them out in front (or back) of tires. Again,
> > just to get out of a stuck situation. Did that a few winters ago in
> > Colorado.

> Nobody told me you weren't supposed to drive 45 with chains until it was
> too late :-(
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> "By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other
> dwarves began to suspect 'Hungry.'" -Gary Larson

Excuse My Dust book. A farmer would wet down a stretch of road across his property, Mud. Then when people got their cars stuck, he would charge them a couple of dollars to pull them out of the mud with his Horse and some rope.
Old January 4th 18, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 5:22:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> I have never owned a front wheel drive vehicle before. I don't think I want one either.

It's a terrible thing to live in fear, isn't it?
Old January 4th 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 01/03/2018 04:59 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 5:22:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>>
>> I have never owned a front wheel drive vehicle before. I don't think I want one either.

Probably easier to put chains on a FWD, but I've never had to put them
on a RWD.

> It's a terrible thing to live in fear, isn't it?

Having driven examples of both, the differences seem less apparent than
the differences in the other characteristics. In fact, NONE that I
could detect.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Why put fault tolerance in the OS, when it's already built