Sunshade Color

Old July 18th 16, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J.B. Wood[_2_]

Default Sunshade Color

Hello, all. I've had one of those inexpensive (foil on cardboard)
windshield sunshades for quite some time and I've never understood why
one side is silver while the other side is blue. I've always placed the
silver side facing the sun figuring it was the most reflective. Does
the blue side serve a practical purpose? Thanks for your time and
comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old July 18th 16, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Probably for show. I've seen the other side available in
several colors. Blue is also less heat-absorbant than,
say, red or brown.
Old July 18th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 7/18/16 7:51 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
> Hello, all. I've had one of those inexpensive (foil on cardboard)
> windshield sunshades for quite some time and I've never
> understood why one side is silver while the other side is blue.
> I've always placed the silver side facing the sun figuring it was
> the most reflective. Does the blue side serve a practical purpose?
> Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

Most likely there is no special reason for the color. It may just be
what the maker had on hand and needed to use up.

A lot of those shades are multicolored, and/or have text or logos on them.

In the dark days before cell phones, some had the words "Need Help.
Call Police" on them
Old July 21st 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 12:21:48 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
> On 7/18/16 7:51 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
> > Hello, all. I've had one of those inexpensive (foil on cardboard)
> > windshield sunshades for quite some time and I've never
> > understood why one side is silver while the other side is blue.
> > I've always placed the silver side facing the sun figuring it was
> > the most reflective. Does the blue side serve a practical purpose?
> > Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

> Most likely there is no special reason for the color. It may just be
> what the maker had on hand and needed to use up.
>
> A lot of those shades are multicolored, and/or have text or logos on them.
>
> In the dark days before cell phones, some had the words "Need Help.
> Call Police" on them

You might try a piece of Reflectix available at Lowe's and Home Depot. A lot of people who have RV vehicles (campers and motorhomes and trailers) use Reflectix for insulaion on windows.
Old July 27th 16, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 1:51:03 AM UTC-10, J.B. Wood wrote:
> Hello, all. I've had one of those inexpensive (foil on cardboard)
> windshield sunshades for quite some time and I've never understood why
> one side is silver while the other side is blue. I've always placed the
> silver side facing the sun figuring it was the most reflective. Does
> the blue side serve a practical purpose? Thanks for your time and
> comment. Sincerely,
> --
> J. B. Wood e-mail:

People should put those things on the outside of the car. I'll bet it makes a significant difference in the temperature inside.
Old July 27th 16, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 07/26/2016 05:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 1:51:03 AM UTC-10, J.B. Wood wrote:
>> Hello, all. I've had one of those inexpensive (foil on cardboard)
>> windshield sunshades for quite some time and I've never understood
>> why one side is silver while the other side is blue. I've always
>> placed the silver side facing the sun figuring it was the most
>> reflective. Does the blue side serve a practical purpose? Thanks
>> for your time and comment. Sincerely, -- J. B. Wood
>> e-mail:

> People should put those things on the outside of the car. I'll bet it
> makes a significant difference in the temperature inside.

That would be nice, but people steal anything that isn't nailed down :-(

I'd just like to make the steering wheel a little cooler when I get into
the car.

--
Cheers, Bev
The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old July 27th 16, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 7/27/2016 11:14 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 07/26/2016 05:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 1:51:03 AM UTC-10, J.B. Wood wrote:

>> People should put those things on the outside of the car. I'll bet it
>> makes a significant difference in the temperature inside.

> That would be nice, but people steal anything that isn't nailed down :-(
>
> I'd just like to make the steering wheel a little cooler when I get into
> the car.

Throw a towel over it.
Old July 28th 16, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 6:14:59 AM UTC-10, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 07/26/2016 05:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 1:51:03 AM UTC-10, J.B. Wood wrote:
> >> Hello, all. I've had one of those inexpensive (foil on cardboard)
> >> windshield sunshades for quite some time and I've never understood
> >> why one side is silver while the other side is blue. I've always
> >> placed the silver side facing the sun figuring it was the most
> >> reflective. Does the blue side serve a practical purpose? Thanks
> >> for your time and comment. Sincerely, -- J. B. Wood
> >> e-mail:

> > People should put those things on the outside of the car. I'll bet it
> > makes a significant difference in the temperature inside.

> That would be nice, but people steal anything that isn't nailed down :-(
>
> I'd just like to make the steering wheel a little cooler when I get into
> the car.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

You are probably correct but not allowing the solar rays to enter the interior might have a big impact on the temperature. It might make a good science project for school kids. "Crime rates and the effects of not nailing things down."
Old July 31st 16, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 9:14:16 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 6:14:59 AM UTC-10, The Real Bev wrote:
> > >
> > > People should put those things on the outside of the car. I'll bet it
> > > makes a significant difference in the temperature inside.

> > That would be nice, but people steal anything that isn't nailed down :-(
> >
> > I'd just like to make the steering wheel a little cooler when I get into
> > the car.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Bev
> > The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

> You are probably correct but not allowing the solar rays to enter the interior might have a big impact on the temperature. It might make a good science project for school kids. "Crime rates and the effects of not nailing things down."

I don't know about nowadays, but in Russia people would steal the windshield wipers off of cars.