Aftermarket A/C control unit?

Old January 18th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paradox34690[_1_]

Default Aftermarket A/C control unit?

Hey everyone, this is my first post on here, and I have to say that I'm
happy to have finally found a decent forum for automotive ideas.

I am the 3rd proud owner of a 1991 Honda CRX DX (with only 150k
original miles). It's seen it's better days though; besides having to
do the bare maintenance and also tune up work, I wound up rearending
someone sometime back (have already repaired it for the time being
until i get it to a body shop for some more finer things that I can't
fix myself). Anyways, one of the things I need to fix in it is the A/C
/ Heater controller in the dash. It's totally busted so it MUST be
replaced. Does anyone know of any good places to check out for
aftermarket control units like this? The stock one from the honda
dealership looks like it might be upwards of $300 I'm not about
to pay that if I don't have to.

Any suggestions you guys (and/or gals) could give would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

--
Paradox34690
Paradox34690's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=494674

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 18th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave Garrett

In article >,
says...

> Hey everyone, this is my first post on here, and I have to say that I'm
> happy to have finally found a decent forum for automotive ideas.
>
> I am the 3rd proud owner of a 1991 Honda CRX DX (with only 150k
> original miles). It's seen it's better days though; besides having to
> do the bare maintenance and also tune up work, I wound up rearending
> someone sometime back (have already repaired it for the time being
> until i get it to a body shop for some more finer things that I can't
> fix myself). Anyways, one of the things I need to fix in it is the A/C
> / Heater controller in the dash. It's totally busted so it MUST be
> replaced. Does anyone know of any good places to check out for
> aftermarket control units like this? The stock one from the honda
> dealership looks like it might be upwards of $300 I'm not about
> to pay that if I don't have to.
>
> Any suggestions you guys (and/or gals) could give would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks!

I'm kinda surprised these are still even available new from the dealer.
I'm in the market for a replacement for my Si as well, and from what
I've found so far, any used unit that you find that's in very good,
unbroken condition is probably going to cost you more than $200. Then
you'll find the ones that have broken but have been repaired with
varying degrees of skill. Sometimes the ones that only have a couple of
cracks can be repaired with epoxy, but $300 for a brand-new one doesn't
sound like such a bad deal once you've seen a few Frankensteined units.
Check ebay, or if you're unbelievably lucky you might find a usable one
in a parts yard. I'd bet that the chances of finding an uncracked one
there are probably about as good as finding a set of factory floor mats
- not very good.

There's one guy on ebay who claims to have modified another unit to work
in CRXs, but without having seen the results, I'm skeptical.

Honda really screwed the pooch with the panel design of these control
units. I have yet to encounter a longtime CRX owner who hasn't had to
deal with this issue at some point.

Dave

Old January 18th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paradox34690[_2_]

Really? You think $300 is reasonable? Honestly, I didn't know what to
expect. I went to http://estore.honda.com and found the controller (or
what I believe is the controller) on there. I'll probably wind up
calling my local dealership (Clearwater, FL) tomorrow just to confirm.
I'll post my findings up here as well just incase anyone should want to
know.

It doesn't really matter, I have to replace the condenser and put a
belt on it, so even after I get the part, i still have more to do...

Not to mention the freon leak that I still have to find

Old January 18th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paradox34690[_3_]

I've done some more searching; it appears that http://www.woodfins.com
has them available for $191.90. Yes, they're used, but from what I've
read, these guys are the #1 used honda parts dealer in the US. Perhaps
you might be able to get what you're looking for there; i'm going to
continue searching though.