'98 Accord EX Timing Belt Interval

Old January 16th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dano58

Default '98 Accord EX Timing Belt Interval

Ok, help me out here... Looking at subject car (with ULEV-VTEC engine)
- dealer doesn't know if TB has been changed. Car has 92k miles on it.
I called up my local shop to get an idea of cost, they checked their
ALLDATA site and came back with about $550 for tb, water pump, balance
shaft belt and misc seals - this includes labor. Then he checks the
replacement interval and it specifies 105k miles.... The Gates site
shows 90k miles for the 2.3l engines.........? Can anyone break the
tie?

Personally, I use 60k - 80k regardless of the manufacturer's
recommendation, but am looking for some leverage with the dealer to
negotiate price with......

Thx,

Dan D
'07 Ody EX Slate Green
Central NJ USA

Old January 16th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:00:42 -0800, Dano58 wrote:

> Ok, help me out here... Looking at subject car (with ULEV-VTEC engine)
> - dealer doesn't know if TB has been changed. Car has 92k miles on it.
> I called up my local shop to get an idea of cost, they checked their
> ALLDATA site and came back with about $550 for tb, water pump, balance
> shaft belt and misc seals - this includes labor. Then he checks the
> replacement interval and it specifies 105k miles.... The Gates site
> shows 90k miles for the 2.3l engines.........? Can anyone break the
> tie?
>
> Personally, I use 60k - 80k regardless of the manufacturer's
> recommendation, but am looking for some leverage with the dealer to
> negotiate price with......

If memory serves, the Honda recommendation is 105k. Considering the car
is already over 90, and you have no way to know what abuse was done, I
would have it done now, anyway...

Along with a tune-up, and at least a close inspection of the brakes...
Old January 17th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Should be 105K by then. But the idlers were noisy and the pump was
leaking on OEM coolant and schedule. So personally I wouldn't wait that
long.

60K is what I'll go with, but 90K should be fine if you pay to get the
work done. Do check the valve clearances. The exhausts on the 3.0L got
too tight.

I use Gates timing kits, FelPro seals, and NAPA Airtex pumps. But only
OEM coolant and distilled water if not prediluted.

Old January 17th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ken[_10_]

Specified interval by Honda is 105k miles OR 7 years whichever comes first.
Since the car is pushing 9 years old, it should have been replaced by now.

oups.com...

Old January 18th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dano58

Thanks everyone - but we ended up buying a '99 Subaru Legacy instead!!

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA