One more question on transmission fluid

Old January 15th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
maumee

Default One more question on transmission fluid

I read the recent post on using the Honda specific transmission fluid.
I have a 1995 Accord EX with automatic and the owners manual states
to use Dextron II or the Honda fluid. Should I still put out the big
bucks and get the Honda stuff or what? I would like someone more
knowledgeable than me to give me a straight answer.

Old January 15th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

first of all, you can't even get Dexron II anymore. Or III for that matter.

Use honda fluid. How often do you change it? Big bucks is what, a 30%
premium on $20? Come on......

Old January 16th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charles

maumee wrote:
> ...the owners manual states
> to use Dextron II or the Honda fluid. Should I still put out the big
> bucks and get the Honda stuff or what?

It's not expensive. Last June I paid my Honda dealer US$6.45 per quart for
ATF-Z1. Then in September he only charged me US$5.60 per quart.
--
Chuck

Old January 16th 07, 07:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article om>,
"maumee" > wrote:

> I read the recent post on using the Honda specific transmission fluid.
> I have a 1995 Accord EX with automatic and the owners manual states
> to use Dextron II or the Honda fluid. Should I still put out the big
> bucks and get the Honda stuff or what? I would like someone more
> knowledgeable than me to give me a straight answer.

The straight answer is that Honda's fluid is a safer bet. Unlike motor
oil, transmission fluid has to do more than lubricate and clean. The
friction, viscosity, and anti-wear additives have to be just right.
It's a quirky fluid. On a manual, you can feel the difference between
fluids when you shift.
Old January 16th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
maumee

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article om>,
> "maumee" > wrote:
>
> > I read the recent post on using the Honda specific transmission fluid.
> > I have a 1995 Accord EX with automatic and the owners manual states
> > to use Dextron II or the Honda fluid. Should I still put out the big
> > bucks and get the Honda stuff or what? I would like someone more
> > knowledgeable than me to give me a straight answer.

> The straight answer is that Honda's fluid is a safer bet. Unlike motor
> oil, transmission fluid has to do more than lubricate and clean. The
> friction, viscosity, and anti-wear additives have to be just right.
> It's a quirky fluid. On a manual, you can feel the difference between
> fluids when you shift.

Thanks for all the imput guys, I will be going to Honda this week to
get enough fluid to do a couple of changes.