possible to make a full size Chevy 4x2 work in sand?

Old November 12th 04, 05:32 AM

Default possible to make a full size Chevy 4x2 work in sand?

Is there anything I can do besides a 4x4 conversion that will make my
4x2 full size G20 van make it through some pretty thick/sinky sand?

My thought is to put a put a locker on the back, give it a lift, and
carry around some Mickey Thompson 35x17.5 tires which I can pop on only
when I need to make it through the sand. Any thoughts on whether that
would get me though thick sand(on the flats only)? It has a 350, so I
don't think power will be an issue.

If so,
1) what type of locker is best for a 95' G20 van
2) How much lift would I need for the 35"/17" tires? I was thinking
that the recommended lifts usually assume you are changing out the
front tires, and since the back tires don't turn I wouldn't need to go
so high? I wouldn't mind hacking away much of the wheelwell/fender to
allow me to keep the van as low as possible.
3) Would it cause problems for the van to run big tires on the back and
small tires on the front only for short distances and only in the sand?
The front and back now have p235's.
4) Does anybody make a 31" offroad style tire that is super wide, say
22"? Would that do the trick?

thanks for any advice,
Craig

Old November 12th 04, 08:03 AM

Thanks. Good information.
I did a bunch of tests years back with a Nissan 4x4 and MT Baja Belted
31x10.5's. It had a locker on the rear diff. too. I was trying to
figure out if it would go through thick, round sand in 2 wheel drive.
After reading the article I might have even let too much air out of the
tires. Didn't realize it was such a science! It wouldn't go in the
sand until I had it in 4 wheel mode. This was some thick, round
Northern Cal river/beach style sand.
I'm guessing this had a lot to do with all the weight being over the
front tires and the back being ultra light? Would the van be similar
weightwise? It seems like it is a little heavier in the rear
proportionally than a pickup.
thanks,
Craig

Old November 12th 04, 06:37 PM
Steve W.

I have driven my GMC 2500 conversion van on the beach a couple times.
Once in Mass. and once in Florida.
The sand in Mass. was wet and packed and was easy to handle. The stuff
in Florida was loose and dry.
I am running Liberator A/Ts from Wal-Mart on it (cheap but decent
rubber). I aired down to 20 psi and drove around a bit, The key is
Momentum, lose it and you will stick like glue. IF you need to stop you
can keep from sinking by driving onto harder sand OR
carry something to park on (I used some old carpet and a couple of 4x4
pieces of plywood) to spread the weight.

--
Steve

oups.com...

Old November 12th 04, 10:40 PM
Matt Mead

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Is there anything I can do besides a 4x4 conversion that will make my
>> 4x2 full size G20 van make it through some pretty thick/sinky sand?
>>
>> My thought is to put a put a locker on the back, give it a lift, and
>> carry around some Mickey Thompson 35x17.5 tires which I can pop on

>only
>> when I need to make it through the sand. Any thoughts on whether that
>> would get me though thick sand(on the flats only)? It has a 350, so I
>> don't think power will be an issue.
>>
>> If so,
>> 1) what type of locker is best for a 95' G20 van
>> 2) How much lift would I need for the 35"/17" tires? I was thinking
>> that the recommended lifts usually assume you are changing out the
>> front tires, and since the back tires don't turn I wouldn't need to go
>> so high? I wouldn't mind hacking away much of the wheelwell/fender to
>> allow me to keep the van as low as possible.
>> 3) Would it cause problems for the van to run big tires on the back

>and
>> small tires on the front only for short distances and only in the

>sand?
>> The front and back now have p235's.
>> 4) Does anybody make a 31" offroad style tire that is super wide, say
>> 22"? Would that do the trick?
>>
>> thanks for any advice,
>> Craig

Airing down is certainly the most important thing to do. Front and
back. Don't be afraid to see a good bulge in the tire!

I'd skip the tall tires and just concentrate on the wide. (You keyed
on that anyway.) As I remember, Mickey Thompson had some pretty wide
tires without adding a lot of height.

While the 350 has the power, without low-range, you are going to be
working the tranny pretty hard. I'd consider a tranny cooler and
tranny temp gauge if you are going to do this often.

You mentioned a locker. Yes! I'd keep it simple and go with a
Detroit. If the cost is an issue, look for something like a Lock-rite
that would allow you to install it yourself. (If you hire it out, you
might as well gear down too to cover the tire height increase.)

Are you sure you want to use this van? If you can get by with a bit
smaller size, I'd go with an AWD Astro/Safari. Stock, it will handle
the beach pretty well with just an airing down. 30-31" tires can be
fitted with cranked torsion bars and a 2" subframe lift from Overland
Vans (overlandvans.com). (You can even swap in a 2-speed t-case if
you want.)

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion
Old November 16th 04, 10:03 PM
Dan Dunphy

A few years ago, I read a tire test article. They went to Baha in a
Scout with several types of tires, and had to keep digging it out.
Meanwhile the natives were driving around in their 62 Chevies with
bald tires.
You want high floatation tires that don't dig!
Dan

Old November 29th 04, 10:35 AM
john Q pubic

"Is there anything I can do besides a 4x4 conversion that will make my
4x2 full size G20 van make it through some pretty thick/sinky sand?"

Pardon the generic quoteing, i use aohell...On my toyota two wheel drive pickem
up i fashioned a poor mans set of turning brakes to deal with sand and
gravel/shale traction issues. Installed 2 levers right behind my floorshift.
From each lever I ran a cable to one side of the factory sock emergency brake
cable and used a cheap cable u bolt clamp to join the new to the old. When my
spider sense told me i had a wheel spinning and hence one sitting powerless, i
simply said "wondertwin powers etc etc" and pulled the spinner side brake while
keeping steady on the gas. Diff took over and supplied power to both wheels and
many problems were nipped in the bud. Of course, like anyone in Az will tell
you, expect bs cause it happens. Carry a nice big sheet of longer stranded
astro turf with you. You get stuck instead of digging your self in further,
immediatley lay off, put her in nuetral or park and place your turf mat in
front of your rear wheels with the grass side down.( Leave buddy behind to
grab the rug, cause you'll prolly need it a few yards or so later,) get in and
drive outta there, using the po boy turning brakes as a traction aid.
That in combination with air ing down and you should be set. Save ya a whole
buncha dinero over the locker / big tire setup.
And like inspector columbo always said, just one more thing.....
I never tried it , but I always thought of using tire chains , kinda like
paddle tires at the dunes.......might happen....coulda shoulda oughta
work....yeah, thats the ticket........
let us all know how it works out.......
MLM