Ignition Key won't turn in 99 Grand Voyager

Old December 1st 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Ignition Key won't turn in 99 Grand Voyager

The ignition key wouldn't turn on only one occassion a number of years
ago. Problem resurfaced a couple of years ago but only happened once
every few months. Lately though it is happening with greater
frequency.

Steering doesn't lock when problem rears it's ugly head. Dealer wants
$300 - $400 (Cdn) to replace key cylinder. I tried graphite, WD40,
turning steering wheel, applying brakes, ensuring shifter firmly in
park, even tried dealers suggestion of light taps on key with hammer!
Nothing works. It's just hit and miss now and trying every few hours
or next day key will turn fine but not for long.

Should I just bite the bullet and shell out the cash to the dealer
(sorry kids - no visit from Santa this year) or are there less
expensive options?

Thanks - D. Cervoni

Old December 2nd 05, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Seems to be a common problem as it happened to our 1999 T&C twice now.
First time was under warranty , but the last time was in March of this last
year. I bought the dealer ignition cylinder and had them key to my existing
key. I then took out the old one and put in the new saving the labor. I
actually did this through a dealer in SC (Galeana) that advertised its
services at a discount via the Internet. I just looked at the parts bill
and found it cost me $107.58 total. This broke down to $70.00 for the
cylinder, $3.60 for a spring, $1.03 for 4 tumblers, $25.00 for re-keying
labor, and $7.95 for shipping.

The only thing that was a pain was I needed to send them a key so they could
use for the re-keying. Removal and Replacement is pretty simple. Good
luck.

Bob

oups.com...

Old December 2nd 05, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Look up Locksmiths in the yellow pages. Find one that specializes in
Automtive. These guys have more tools than an Aircraft mechanic! My
bet is he can do the job quicker, better, and cheaper than the dealer.
Plus he will come right to where the van is - and may not charge any
extra to do it if you schedule him (as opposed to an "emergency"
call).

hth

Old December 6th 05, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Thanks for all the advise. I called a locksmith and he came right to
my driveway and changed the tumblers/waffers inside the key cylinder
for $130 Cdn. Still cheaper than the dealer and his warranty is 90
days. If it didn't work, problem will likely resurface before the 90
days are up and we'll get him back, although I'm cautiously optimistic
that the problem is now history.

Thanks Again - D.Cervoni

Old December 13th 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Old December 13th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I just had the same problem with a 1999 T & C Van, The key would not
turn at all.

I tapped on it a little with a small hammer and was able to get one
more turn out of it.

I was going to my mechanic to have some minor work done and when the
car was done
we could not get it to turn without tapping it again with a hammer.
The steering wheel pod (2 pcs plastic cover comes off when you remove
the 3 screws. The key has to be turned
to the acc. position so you can push the silver square button in that
holds it in place.
Just push the button and pull the entire cylinder straight out. I
used a super large screw driver to drive around over the weekend until
I got it fixed.
I called 3 different dealers to pick their brains. Dealer 1 $
300.00 if you bring the car in Dealer 2 also in Los angelas $250.00.
My local dealer said if I bring in the key they would match the new
cylinder to my old key in about 5 minutes Total $ 108.00 I would have
to put it back myself. I called the local locksmith He put new wafer
pins and rebuilt my cylinder total price $ 42.40 Always skip the
dealer whenever possible. This problem is common for these vans and is
not hard to do, just follow the directions I used.

Old December 13th 05, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

You are very welcome! Been there, done that - and on Labour Day of all
(^*&^ days!

Old February 3rd 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
leftie

Default 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager ignition key won't turn

Let me add my own experience regarding this problem. We did the "hit the
end of the key while in the ignition cylinder" for about a year until it
decided to finally die. Thank God that it died right in my driveway.
(Footnote he I couldn't get it to turn to the start position in order
to get it out of the column. What finally worked was putting my propane
torch to it for about 30 seconds followed by putting in the key and
hitting it a couple of times. It finally turned.) Anyway, the only place
that had a replacement cylinder was the dealer who was going to charge
me about $102 for the cylinder and about $30 to set it up for my
existing key. Since that didn't sit well with me, I tried one more auto
wrecker who, like some others, said they only would sell the entire
steering column (no thanks). However, he recommended that I call a fella
he dealt with that is an ACE Locksmith. Huh...was my reaction but, hey,
I'm desparate, right? So I call the guy and, sure enough, he says "sure,
just bring me your key and (here's the kicker) for $50 I'll have it
done". I actually called him back to confirm that for the $50 that I was
getting a new cylinder. He said I was. Well, I met the guy who proceeded
to take a cylinder apart (he said he does this about 6-8 times a week.
By the way, the cylinder he had was a new blank one which means it
didn't have any of the internal guts (tumblers, whatever you call them)
in it. He took my key, installed the internal pins and gave it back to
me all in the space of about 5 mins tops. He also said that the
lubricant to use when one of these things does start sticking is BP
Blast...never use WD40. He also said that you should only have the key
and maybe the remote on the key chain when it's in the ignition vs.
having a ton of keys hanging off of it....the weight of the other keys
eventually damages the cylinder. ACE Locksmith, who would have thought!?
I hope this helps someone in the future that experiences this problem on
these vans.

--
leftie
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

key in ignition.....won`t turn. Mason121 Saturn 8 March 31st 07 11:09 PM
Neon - rapidly blinking turn signal - diagnosis? Neon96 Dodge 2 August 21st 05 02:10 AM
Bone head of the day Harry K Driving 78 August 8th 05 03:22 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM