Urgent: '02 300M instrument cluster removal

Old February 10th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_3_]

Default Urgent: '02 300M instrument cluster removal

At least I found a service manual and discovered that I have to remove
the whole instrument cluster to replace a bulb -- so I'll replace all of
them while I'm about it.

OK, I've removed the bezel and the two screws (is that all there are? --
the manual doesn't say) holding the instrument cluster in place, but
what do I get hold of to disengage it from the clips and connector? The
manual says it takes 9Kg (30lb), but I can't get my fingers around the
back to pull it free.

Any special tricks or tools?

Perce
Old February 10th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> At least I found a service manual and discovered that I have to remove
> the whole instrument cluster to replace a bulb -- so I'll replace all of
> them while I'm about it.
>
> OK, I've removed the bezel and the two screws (is that all there are? --
> the manual doesn't say) holding the instrument cluster in place, but
> what do I get hold of to disengage it from the clips and connector? The
> manual says it takes 9Kg (30lb), but I can't get my fingers around the
> back to pull it free.
>
> Any special tricks or tools?
>
> Perce

Make two hooks using coat hanger wire - make the other end of the wire a
"T" shape to grip with your hands. Feed the hook ends between the
cluster and the dash on the left and right of the cluster to hook at the
back edges of the cluster, and pull - it will come out - maybe kind of
suddenly, so brace yourself.

Make sure you removed the two screws at the bottom of the cluster -
*not* the two screws that just hold the lens to the cluster. You
probably removed the right ones, but just thought I'd mention that to
make sure.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 11th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_3_]

On 02/10/09 06:18 pm Bill Putney wrote:

> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>> At least I found a service manual and discovered that I have to remove
>> the whole instrument cluster to replace a bulb -- so I'll replace all
>> of them while I'm about it.
>>
>> OK, I've removed the bezel and the two screws (is that all there are?
>> -- the manual doesn't say) holding the instrument cluster in place,
>> but what do I get hold of to disengage it from the clips and
>> connector? The manual says it takes 9Kg (30lb), but I can't get my
>> fingers around the back to pull it free.
>>
>> Any special tricks or tools?
>>
>> Perce

> Make two hooks using coat hanger wire - make the other end of the wire a
> "T" shape to grip with your hands. Feed the hook ends between the
> cluster and the dash on the left and right of the cluster to hook at the
> back edges of the cluster, and pull - it will come out - maybe kind of
> suddenly, so brace yourself.
>
> Make sure you removed the two screws at the bottom of the cluster -
> *not* the two screws that just hold the lens to the cluster. You
> probably removed the right ones, but just thought I'd mention that to
> make sure.

I did in the meantime manage to get a better grip, and it came out, but
one of the fastener tabs (the tabs projecting rearwards from the
instrument cluster housing and which then carry the metal clips) broke
off. I may still have some suitable plastic cement that hasn't already
hardened in the tube, otherwise it'll just have to survive short of one
clip.

Have you ever replaced any of these bulbs? Did you find that the leads
of the #74s were wrapped around the contacts and spot welded? Or was I
supposed to use some special over-priced Mopar-branded "plug and light"
bulb/holder assemblies?

Perce

Old February 11th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> On 02/10/09 06:18 pm Bill Putney wrote:
>
>> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>>> At least I found a service manual and discovered that I have to remove
>>> the whole instrument cluster to replace a bulb -- so I'll replace all
>>> of them while I'm about it.
>>>
>>> OK, I've removed the bezel and the two screws (is that all there are?
>>> -- the manual doesn't say) holding the instrument cluster in place,
>>> but what do I get hold of to disengage it from the clips and
>>> connector? The manual says it takes 9Kg (30lb), but I can't get my
>>> fingers around the back to pull it free.
>>>
>>> Any special tricks or tools?
>>>
>>> Perce

>> Make two hooks using coat hanger wire - make the other end of the wire a
>> "T" shape to grip with your hands. Feed the hook ends between the
>> cluster and the dash on the left and right of the cluster to hook at the
>> back edges of the cluster, and pull - it will come out - maybe kind of
>> suddenly, so brace yourself.
>>
>> Make sure you removed the two screws at the bottom of the cluster -
>> *not* the two screws that just hold the lens to the cluster. You
>> probably removed the right ones, but just thought I'd mention that to
>> make sure.

> I did in the meantime manage to get a better grip, and it came out, but
> one of the fastener tabs (the tabs projecting rearwards from the
> instrument cluster housing and which then carry the metal clips) broke
> off. I may still have some suitable plastic cement that hasn't already
> hardened in the tube, otherwise it'll just have to survive short of one
> clip.
>
> Have you ever replaced any of these bulbs? Did you find that the leads
> of the #74s were wrapped around the contacts and spot welded? Or was I
> supposed to use some special over-priced Mopar-branded "plug and light"
> bulb/holder assemblies?
>
> Perce

I've never had to replace any bulbs. But if you go to the 300M
Enthusiasts Club forums (http://300mclub.org/forums/index.php?), I know
that has been discussed. If there is a good inexpensive alternative,
I'm sure they have that answer. Make a reasonable effort using the
search function there, and if no success, start your own thread and ask.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')