PT Cruiser

Old February 5th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Even Stephen

Default PT Cruiser

I like may PT cruiser but I wonder if there is a comparable auto (with the
high sitting driver's seat and easy load hatchback) that I should look at
before I buy a PT again? Suggestions? Thanks.

Old February 6th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 23:40:50 UTC, "Even Stephen" > wrote:

> I like may PT cruiser but I wonder if there is a comparable auto (with the
> high sitting driver's seat and easy load hatchback) that I should look at
> before I buy a PT again? Suggestions? Thanks.

You should consider the Caliber. My wife and I had a PT Sedan(2003) and a
convertible(2005). We sold both and got a Caliber that has chair high seats and
is getting 30-31 mpg around town. We were only getting MAX 22 with both PT's
and sometimes as low as 17-19 around town. The sedan had the base engine and
the convertible had the 180HP Turbo version. My 1940 Chrysler gets better
mileage with a flathead 6!

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old February 6th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 18:10:02 UTC, Steve > wrote:

> I've heard a few similar stories about low PT mileage, but our (new to
> us) 2005 2.4 normally-aspirated version is getting between 22 and 24 in
> town, and about 25-27 on the highway so far.

You're lucky! To be fair, we rented a 2008 PT sedan at the Pensacola airport
for the 50 mile drive to Mobile, and it got around 26mpg, but that was driving
55/60. Some people say it is the weight of the body, the "bad" styling, etc. I
also wondered what would happen if they put the CVT transmission in instead of
the 4 speed automatic. I think it would increase the mileage.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old February 6th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Even Stephen

....for the record, I get 22 city and 26 mpg's highway. Thanks all!

Old February 7th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve B.

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 12:10:02 -0600, Steve > wrote:

>I've heard a few similar stories about low PT mileage, but our (new to
>us) 2005 2.4 normally-aspirated version is getting between 22 and 24 in
>town, and about 25-27 on the highway so far.

So does my Lincoln Town Car.
Old February 7th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Feb 5, 6:40*pm, "Even Stephen" > wrote:
> I like may PT cruiser but I wonder if there is a comparable auto (with the
> high sitting driver's seat and easy load hatchback) that I should look at
> before I buy a PT again? *Suggestions? *Thanks.

This is the last year for the PT, so for that alone, you might look at
others (resale values often drop for discontinued models). Some
others: Toyota Matrix (and its twin Pontiac Vibe), Suzuki SX4, Kia
Rondo, Mazda 5 (like a mini-minivan with sliding doors and 3 rows of
seats). Or any of the small SUVs -- if you avoid awd you'll get
better mileage. The ones most lauded in road tests are Toyota RAV4,
Honda CR-V, and Subaru Forester (awd only). For top mileage, Ford
Escape Hybrid.
Old February 8th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer

On Feb 7, 11:51*am, Lloyd > wrote:

> This is the last year for the PT,

For all PTs or just the convertible?