Avoid crappy Standard O2 sensor

Old February 1st 09, 08:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

Default Avoid crappy Standard O2 sensor

Hi All,

3 years ago I replaced the O2 sensor on my 95 T&C with a new one, I forget
where I got it but the part maker is "Standard"

I just tried taking the van through emissions again for the renewal, it
failed, high
CO and HC

I connected my OTC scantool and pulled error code 51, excessively lean
fuel air
mixture. Ha ha.

Of course, the computer stupidly thought this. Watching the output of the
O2
sensor was most interesting. After warning up the engine, the O2 sensor
voltage
went to 0.00v. During warmup it's voltage fluctuated as a normal sensor
does.
I have to conclude that the sensor element cracked or some such and after
warming up, the element opens.

I can only hope that the sensor failed recently and that the catcon hasn't
been
ruined.

3 years is IMHO way too short for one of these.

Ted

Old February 1st 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
man of machines

you might have a vacumm leak on the intake manifold based on the lean code
i only use oem o2 sensors when fixing customers cars too much issues with
aftermarket

Old February 1st 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Is Standard maybe re-boxing Bosch sensors? Bosch sensors don't work too
well on many (most? all?) Chrysler products.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Old February 2nd 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Daniel Who Wants to Know[_1_]

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> 3 years ago I replaced the O2 sensor on my 95 T&C with a new one, I
> forget
> where I got it but the part maker is "Standard"
>
> I just tried taking the van through emissions again for the renewal, it
> failed, high
> CO and HC
>
> I connected my OTC scantool and pulled error code 51, excessively lean
> fuel air
> mixture. Ha ha.
>
> Of course, the computer stupidly thought this. Watching the output of
> the O2
> sensor was most interesting. After warning up the engine, the O2 sensor
> voltage
> went to 0.00v. During warmup it's voltage fluctuated as a normal sensor
> does.
> I have to conclude that the sensor element cracked or some such and after
> warming up, the element opens.
>
> I can only hope that the sensor failed recently and that the catcon
> hasn't been
> ruined.
>
> 3 years is IMHO way too short for one of these.
>
> Ted

Denso P/N 234-4077 is the one I got for my 95 Grand Caravan SE 3.3L.
Doesn't your T&C have the mini trip computer? If it does it should have been
showing some strange mileage numbers.

Old February 8th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" > wrote in
message news:MNIhl.499372$TT4.101277@attbi_s22...
> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 3 years ago I replaced the O2 sensor on my 95 T&C with a new one, I
>> forget
>> where I got it but the part maker is "Standard"
>>
>> I just tried taking the van through emissions again for the renewal, it
>> failed, high
>> CO and HC
>>
>> I connected my OTC scantool and pulled error code 51, excessively lean
>> fuel air
>> mixture. Ha ha.
>>
>> Of course, the computer stupidly thought this. Watching the output of
>> the O2
>> sensor was most interesting. After warning up the engine, the O2 sensor
>> voltage
>> went to 0.00v. During warmup it's voltage fluctuated as a normal sensor
>> does.
>> I have to conclude that the sensor element cracked or some such and after
>> warming up, the element opens.
>>
>> I can only hope that the sensor failed recently and that the catcon
>> hasn't been
>> ruined.
>>
>> 3 years is IMHO way too short for one of these.
>>
>> Ted
>>

> Denso P/N 234-4077 is the one I got for my 95 Grand Caravan SE 3.3L.
> Doesn't your T&C have the mini trip computer? If it does it should have
> been showing some strange mileage numbers.

Mileage had dropped perhaps 2mpg. I had noticed this months earlier - but
there's around 140K miles on the engine and I had figured it was just due to
worn plugs or some such.

The Standard O2 sensor I had in it was a part# SG209

The replacement O2 sensor I bought was a Denso P/N 234-4210 This is the
"universal"
version of the same sensor you put in - it's supplied without a plug. I
simply cut off the old
Standard sensor's plug and soldered it on to the wires coming from the
Denso. (you
have to be very careful to note wiring when you do this as the color-codes
on the
replacement sensor are different than the factory color codes, there's an
instruction
booklet that comes with the universal sensor that explains the wiring)

Incidentally when I first went to buy the sensor the Denso part that they
crossed to
was supplied with a plug that had one of the tab slots offset from the
location it was
supposed to be - I had the original O2 sensor with me and noticed the
discrepancy,
pointed it out, and also pointed out that there were scratches on the base
of the sensor
plus the box it was in was missing the packet of special grease - as I told
them the
sensor must have been purchased then returned and then put back on the
shelf, and of
course I didn't buy it. (I suspect the sensor wasn't even the correct part)

I had them special order the "universal" sensor just to avoid any problems
with
plugs. Supposedly the warranty on it is 1 year, but the box instructions
claim the
O2 sensor cannot be returned once opened. The universal sensor also came in
a sealed plastic bag, the first one they tried giving me didn't.

Ted

Crappy shifting [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 May 20th 07 10:05 PM
AWA [OFFER] Wheel sensor;Crankshaf position sensor;camshaft sensor;knock sensor;phase s [email protected] General 0 January 10th 06 12:51 PM
Crappy AM Reception bk49 BMW 26 June 6th 05 03:02 AM
Crappy D35 out Ben Jeep 1 March 28th 05 01:55 AM
crappy doors Tim Rogers VW air cooled 3 January 16th 05 07:52 AM