RFACTOR IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Old November 12th 04, 09:17 PM
Andrew MacPherson

In article >,
(Mitch_A) wrote:

> I wouldnt have thought this would add much to a race
> sim but I was wrong

Maybe we're all turning into graphics whores despite all our wannabe
hardcore sim racing credentials. It's a Microsoft conspiracy!

Mmm... wonder if I can find a BBC documentary about that? ;-)

Andrew McP

Old November 13th 04, 04:40 AM
Aaron Markham

Just improved to a 1:02.594!

---------------------------------------
Thanks,
Aaron Markham

*RATE MY CAR AT CARDOMAIN.COM*
http://www.cardomain.com/id/amarkham

*RIP AYRTON SENNA & DALE EARNHARDT*

ddress_disguised...

Old November 13th 04, 11:02 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:01:23 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
> I was really suprised while driving how the shadows crept into my braking
> zone hiding my brake point as the day progressed. I wouldnt have thought
> this would add much to a race sim but I was wrong, the immersion it brings
> is amazing and were only getting 8-5 time frame.

And how the sun reflects on the tarmac, brighening it up, esp. after
the righthander that leads to the 3rd-gear backstraight
lefthander. Incredible, and I'm on a sucky 4800se here %-)

uwe

--
mail replies to Uwe at schuerkamp dot de ( yahoo address is spambox)
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/
Old November 13th 04, 01:37 PM
David G Fisher

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:01:23 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
> > I was really suprised while driving how the shadows crept into my

braking
> > zone hiding my brake point as the day progressed. I wouldnt have

thought
> > this would add much to a race sim but I was wrong, the immersion it

brings
> > is amazing and were only getting 8-5 time frame.

> And how the sun reflects on the tarmac, brighening it up, esp. after
> the righthander that leads to the 3rd-gear backstraight
> lefthander. Incredible, and I'm on a sucky 4800se here %-)
>
> uwe

Here's the developer talking about the time of day effects.
http://www.rfactor.net/qa_jc.shtml
--
David G Fisher

Old November 15th 04, 08:15 AM
Stephen F.

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:01:23 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
>> I was really suprised while driving how the shadows crept into my braking
>> zone hiding my brake point as the day progressed. I wouldnt have thought
>> this would add much to a race sim but I was wrong, the immersion it
>> brings
>> is amazing and were only getting 8-5 time frame.

> And how the sun reflects on the tarmac, brighening it up, esp. after
> the righthander that leads to the 3rd-gear backstraight
> lefthander. Incredible, and I'm on a sucky 4800se here %-)
>
> uwe

Road reflections have always been the one trick that made a big difference
in the immersion factor. Even GP3 in software mode had some (primitive)
lighting effects, and I remember my surprise when I rounded a corner for the
first time and saw the asphalt brighten up in front of me. Very impressive
at the time. The ISI and Papy games of the time looked rather lifeless in
comparison (graphically). The last couple of generations of CMR games also
provide some beautiful road lighting effects, and I always tend to select
certain stages in Japan or Sweden just to see those great surfaces.

rFactor looks great, but taxes my poor ATI 9000-equipped notebook a little
too much to have consistent framerates. Nevertheless, the environments look
as good as anything in the screenshots for a typical Half Life 2 or Doom 3
and make the other driving games look quite old now.

Stephen

Old November 16th 04, 05:19 AM
EldredP

In article >, Uwe
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > writes:

>And how the sun reflects on the tarmac, brighening it up, esp. after
>the righthander that leads to the 3rd-gear backstraight
>lefthander. Incredible, and I'm on a sucky 4800se here %-)

Sun?!? I don't even remember seeing that... I must have had the detail down
too much.

Eldred
--
http://www.umich.edu/~epickett

GPLRank -6.0 MoGPL rank +267.80
Ch.Rank +52.58
Hist. +82.34
N2k3 rank: -1.182
Slayer Spektera lvl 79 assassin
Slayer Spectral_K lvl 44 Necro
US East
Old November 16th 04, 07:08 AM
Alan Le

> Sun?!? I don't even remember seeing that... I must have had the detail
down
> too much.

Also, make sure you set the race time to later in the afternoon or early
morning. 5 PM is awesome. The enhanced lighting in general really adds to
the experience. I was in an online race where the sun wasn't very bright,
and the shadows on certain parts really made it difficult to see. Not good
considering I still use skid marks as markers.

Alan