No power, rough idle

Old September 19th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

Default No power, rough idle

98 SL1, 165,000km
I have rough idle down around 500-750RPM (it usually idles just over
1000RPM). Very little power. When I floor it in neutral the RPM gauge goes
to 4200 and pulses.
Looking under the hood at lunch time and the PCV hose was cracked/split and
flattened. I replaced the hose but that seemed to make it worse. I remember
talk on here of cleaning the PCV vavle but the Haynes manual I have only
says what it does, no mention of cleaning.
My question is, what should I clean it with? compressed air, gasoline,
methyl hydrate...? Or should I just get a new one?
Does this sound like a dirty or defective PCV valve or should I continue to
look for other causes?
Any advice or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Roy

Old September 19th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
>98 SL1, 165,000km
>I have rough idle down around 500-750RPM (it usually idles just over
>1000RPM). Very little power. When I floor it in neutral the RPM gauge goes
>to 4200 and pulses.
>Looking under the hood at lunch time and the PCV hose was cracked/split and
>flattened. I replaced the hose but that seemed to make it worse. I remember
>talk on here of cleaning the PCV vavle but the Haynes manual I have only
>says what it does, no mention of cleaning.
>My question is, what should I clean it with? compressed air, gasoline,
>methyl hydrate...? Or should I just get a new one?

Just get a new one -- it's only about five bucks, if that much. Hardly worth
trying to clean out...

>Does this sound like a dirty or defective PCV valve or should I continue to
>look for other causes?

My guess is an ignition problem of some sort. Check the plugs; I'll bet
they're not all firing. And *that* could be due to a bad plug, a bad plug
wire, or a failed electronic ignition module.

Another thing to check: make sure the exhaust system isn't plugged. A
stopped-up catalytic converter can cause similar symptoms.

--
Regards,

Old September 20th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

Thanks, after doing a little more searching I found there wasn't anybody
suggesting cleaning although here in Canada it's more like $15 for the part
(still very affordable). If that doesn't do it I guess it's time to start
pulling wires and plugs.
I really hope it isn't the cat, it was replaced 3 years ago and I really
don't want to buy a new one yet.

Old September 20th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
>Thanks, after doing a little more searching I found there wasn't anybody
>suggesting cleaning although here in Canada it's more like $15 for the part
>(still very affordable).

Wow. That's kinda high. You buying that at the Saturn dealer? The going price
at auto parts stores around here (Indianapolis) is about US$3.50-4.00, which
is still under CDN$5. Have you tried WalMart or Canadian Tire?

> If that doesn't do it I guess it's time to start
>pulling wires and plugs.

Most auto parts stores can test the ignition module for you, too, and the test
is usually free.

>I really hope it isn't the cat, it was replaced 3 years ago and I really
>don't want to buy a new one yet.

If the cat is only 3 years old, it's not likely to be causing trouble.

m...

Old September 20th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

I was going by prices from web sites and forums, it was actually $5.94 plus
tax from the dealer. That was cheaper than the other parts stores which were
around $7-8 but none of them had one in stock, not sure why they bother to
give you a price if they don't have one.
As for free testing, we don't have Autozone here (I keep seeing people refer
to them for free testing) and it is very hard to get anybody to do anything
to a car for less than $40 (even to check codes). After I try the new plug
wires I may see if the Saturn dealer will test it for me after I've spent
$100+ on parts there.
I replaced the PCV valve and hose. I put in new spark plugs (figured they
were due anyway and inexpensive). The plugs helped a little by getting rid
of the rough idle but it still has the miss and a little hesitation when I
give it some gas. I guess next is plug wires ($70, I priced them while I was
at the dealer).

Not sure what to do if the new wires don't do it but I guess I'll keep
following the ignition system unless somebody has a better idea.

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
news
> In article >, "Roy" <crawroy
> @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
>>Thanks, after doing a little more searching I found there wasn't anybody
>>suggesting cleaning although here in Canada it's more like $15 for the
>>part
>>(still very affordable).

> Wow. That's kinda high. You buying that at the Saturn dealer? The going
> price
> at auto parts stores around here (Indianapolis) is about US$3.50-4.00,
> which
> is still under CDN$5. Have you tried WalMart or Canadian Tire?
>
>> If that doesn't do it I guess it's time to start
>>pulling wires and plugs.

> Most auto parts stores can test the ignition module for you, too, and the
> test
> is usually free.
>
>>I really hope it isn't the cat, it was replaced 3 years ago and I really
>>don't want to buy a new one yet.

> If the cat is only 3 years old, it's not likely to be causing trouble.

om...

Old September 21st 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "Roy" <crawroy @
nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

>I replaced the PCV valve and hose. I put in new spark plugs (figured they
>were due anyway and inexpensive). The plugs helped a little by getting rid
>of the rough idle but it still has the miss and a little hesitation when I
>give it some gas. I guess next is plug wires ($70, I priced them while I was
>at the dealer).

Seventy dollars??? Damn. I realize that's Canadian dollars, not US, but your
dollar is a lot stronger against ours now than it was just a few years ago.
Right now, CDN$70 is about US$62 -- and that's a *hell* of a high price for
spark plug wires. Especially for a 4-cylinder engine.

For comparison, I just bought a set for my Suburban at a local auto parts
store last weekend -- and that's a V-8 engine, twice as many wires -- for
US$25 (= CDN$28 and change).

--
Regards,

Old September 21st 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

$70 was the dealer price. I got a set today at Canadian Tire for $30+tax.
About the same as you paid for your 8 wires. They didn't help any so I guess
I'm either getting a new distributor or going to get the codes read,
whichever is cheaper.
One of the terminals on the dist was white with corrosion and the last one
had a big pile of rust setting on it when I took the wire off. Been a log
time since I've dealt with an ignition system but I've never seen rust on a
distributor before. The terminal wasn't rusted, it just wiped off so the
rust must have come from inside the wire end.

Old September 22nd 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article >, crawroy @
nbnet.nb.ca says...
> $70 was the dealer price. I got a set today at Canadian Tire for $30+tax.
> About the same as you paid for your 8 wires. They didn't help any so I guess
> I'm either getting a new distributor or going to get the codes read,
> whichever is cheaper.
> One of the terminals on the dist was white with corrosion and the last one
> had a big pile of rust setting on it when I took the wire off. Been a log
> time since I've dealt with an ignition system but I've never seen rust on a
> distributor before. The terminal wasn't rusted, it just wiped off so the
> rust must have come from inside the wire end.
> "Doug Miller" > wrote in message
> m...

Roy it sounds to me you went way to long without servicing your ignition
system! The rust is from your spark plug wires connector. You have no
"distributor", what you are looking at is a coil pack. Two coils each
with two coil "towers". This system is known as a waste spark system.

FYI a new set of wires doesnt mean a darn thing if you do not use an OHM
meter to check the resistance of the wires. It seems no less than 50% of
the wire sets I buy have at least one wire that is either out of spec or
completely dead! A bad wire can make your car run like crap and WILL
eventually kill your coils.

The resistance of the wires on a S-series Saturn should be no greater
than 12,000 OHMS (12k ohms). If you tug or bend your wires you can
damage them so if in doubt check the resistance again. Buy some Silicon
Greese (if none comes with the wire set) and apply it to the insides of
the spark plug boots. This will prevent future corrosion and keep the
boots from sticking. Wires should always be replaced at the same time as
plugs or sooner if they are in poor shape.

There are only 2 types of spark plugs I recommend. AC DELCO and Autolite
both in "double platinum". Some say NGK but I have never ran across
double platinum NGK's here. The double platinum plugs should last 80k
miles. Non platinum plugs last 30k tops. (do NOT buy Bosch plugs at all)
Also buy Anti Seize compound and apply a small dab to the spark plug
threads and keep it away from the electrodes.

Other advice
-------------
Clean your coil towers before attatching the new wires.

Before removing your old spark plugs make sure there is no debris that
will fall into the combustion chamber.

If you find oil on your spark plug boots and in your spark plug wells
(DOHC engine) you will need a new cam cover gasket set.

See if your old wires have nicks or chafing. You can use "wire looms" to
help prevent the new plug wires from chafing in those same places.

The order of your engine from front to rear is
1234
The order of your coil towers from front to rear is
4123
Just match the numbers.

Inspect your old plugs
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html
--------------

BTW you should always have your codes read! You can even buy yourself a
basic code reader for around 50 US dollars at auto parts stores.

Old September 22nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article >, crawroy @
nbnet.nb.ca says...
> of cleaning the PCV vavle but the Haynes manual I have only
> says what it does, no mention of cleaning.
> My question is, what should I clean it with? compressed air, gasoline,
> methyl hydrate...? Or should I just get a new one?

Brake clean. Only replace it with the OEM if you do.

> I really hope it isn't the cat, it was replaced 3 years ago and I really
> don't want to buy a new one yet.

The cat failure is a symptom of a greater problem. Was the problem ever
corrected? Failure to keep the car tuned up is one way of taking out a
cat. It could of also been an "Upsale".
Old September 22nd 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

"BläBlä" . S!RCRE4P.C0M>
wrote in message ...
> In article >, crawroy @
> nbnet.nb.ca says...
>> of cleaning the PCV vavle but the Haynes manual I have only
>> says what it does, no mention of cleaning.
>> My question is, what should I clean it with? compressed air, gasoline,
>> methyl hydrate...? Or should I just get a new one?
>>

> Brake clean. Only replace it with the OEM if you do.

It was only $6 for a new one so I replaced it. Had to be from Saturn as no
one else in town sold them.

>> I really hope it isn't the cat, it was replaced 3 years ago and I really
>> don't want to buy a new one yet.

> The cat failure is a symptom of a greater problem. Was the problem ever
> corrected? Failure to keep the car tuned up is one way of taking out a
> cat. It could of also been an "Upsale".

Cat was replaced under warranty so it wasn't an "upsale." Not sure why it
failed but the dealer didn't seem too concerned and I'm sure they were
looking as only the emission system was still under warranty.