Clutch Chirp

Old November 8th 05, 04:39 AM
XS11E

Default Clutch Chirp

"Chuck" > wrote in
news:uSTbf.456$Mi5.439@dukeread07:

> There may be a squeak or chirp coming from the bushings in the
> rear axle assembly when you upshift at high throttle settings..
> This usually will occur (if it occurs) on super and turbo charged
> Miatas. Try lubing the bushings with rubber lubricant. Or ignore
> it as I do.

Dang, doesn't anyone read before replying? <snicker>
Old November 8th 05, 04:45 AM
XS11E

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in
:

>>>It isn't coming the area of the clutch; it's coming from the area
>>>of the rear wheels and it sounds like rubber tires squealing.

> It's not the bushing. It's the tires. It was a joke.

That Zzzznnnnnngggg you hear was it flying over everyone's head! <g>

Subtlety doesn't work with this bunch! Somewhere there's a guy from
this group still working with his super computer trying to disprove
Leo's photon drag theory..... <snicker>

But, personally, I think a little humor is a good thing, this is a
pretty serious bunch here.

Old November 8th 05, 05:37 AM
Chuck

Joke or not, there is an issue- On my 99 it's more of a squawk, and it's not
the tires.
Evidently, you can apply enough torque to make the dry rubber bushings move
enough to make noise.

Old November 8th 05, 12:29 PM
pws

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> It's not the bushing. It's the tires. It was a joke.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dana

The rear tires? Does that mean that you have not done the FWD conversion
yet?

I talked to a miata owner the other day who did not know if his car was
RWD or FWD. I'm not even sure how I answered, it all gets hazy after
that. I am hoping that he was also joking, but I don't think he was.

It had a hardtop on and he did at least know that it comes off. :-)

Pat
Old November 10th 05, 08:31 AM
Dana H. Myers

pws wrote:
> Dana H. Myers wrote:
>

>> It's not the bushing. It's the tires. It was a joke.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Dana

> The rear tires? Does that mean that you have not done the FWD conversion
> yet?

Despite urgings from my "street tuner" friends, no.

> I talked to a miata owner the other day who did not know if his car was
> RWD or FWD. I'm not even sure how I answered, it all gets hazy after
> that. I am hoping that he was also joking, but I don't think he was.
>
> It had a hardtop on and he did at least know that it comes off. :-)

Ya just gotta be cool. Everyone learns at different rates. Mention how
Miatas are better for drifting, he'll get it someday.

Dana
Old November 10th 05, 11:48 PM
pws

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> Ya just gotta be cool. Everyone learns at different rates. Mention how
> Miatas are better for drifting, he'll get it someday.
>
> Dana

Yeah, I know that not everyone is as obsessed with the car as I am, but
damnit, just take a look at the trunk. What FWD car has a trunk that small?

Rant mode on:

This guy was young, and unless our driving schools have changed, they
don't even tell you that there is a difference between FWD, RWD & AWD.

They also do not teach weight transfer, counter-steering, or any of the
many other things that would save lives. All I learned in that driver's
education class was the rules of the road, most of which I already knew
from observing others drive.
They did teach a bit about watching out for emergencies, but nothing at
all about what to do once that emergency occured.

Rant mode off:

Pat
Old November 11th 05, 12:31 AM
Lanny Chambers

Default Driver Ed

In article >,
pws > wrote:

Hoho, Pat, you're so funny.

> unless our driving schools have changed, they
> don't even tell you that there is a difference between FWD, RWD & AWD.

Heh. When I took Driver Ed, it was not much of an issue. I mean, no high
school used Citroëns, Tuckers, or Jeeps.

> They also do not teach weight transfer, counter-steering, or any of the
> many other things that would save lives. All I learned in that driver's
> education class was the rules of the road

Weight transfer: slide your fat butt over so I can get in, too.
Counter steering: bench racing on a stool at the soda fountain.

In the early '60s, seatbelts were still catching on in race cars. They
weren't even optional in most passenger cars yet. I bought a set at
Western Auto and installed them in my parents' '59 Ford, after one of my
friends was partly ejected from the car he rolled before the door closed
on his waist and cut him in half. That'll wake you up, yessiree.

It was all most 10th graders could do to stay on the pavement; if you
never crossed the centerline, you got an A. I mght have gotten as much
as an hour total behind the wheel, including the oval behind the gym and
parallel parking. The rest of the time was spent watching bloody movies
like "Signal 30" and "Mechanized Death." Fortunately, my mom had already
taught me to drive properly. I only needed the class to get the
insurance discount.

I recall one girl who lost it while backing up and knocked over the gas
pump. They evacuated the school. She became a hero. She passed the class
anyway.

Somehow, despite the manifold shortcomings of my motoring education, I
still haven't hurt anyone or totalled a car.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 11th 05, 01:28 AM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Hoho, Pat, you're so funny.

I try.

> Somehow, despite the manifold shortcomings of my motoring education, I
> still haven't hurt anyone or totalled a car.

Same here, never hurt anyone and I blame the deer for the one totaled
car. Anyone else in the world would have hit it in the same situation,
except maybe you, Lanny the automotive Superman. ;-)

I read a book by Bob Bondurant on performance driving at the age of 16
and he explained weight transfer, counter-steering, corner apex, and
just about everything else.
It seemed to me even at the time to be good information to teach to the
students, both in class and in the car.

Do you agree or not agree that more stringent driving instruction, such
as they have in Germany, would result in less vehicle accidents in the
United States?

Pat
Old November 11th 05, 05:36 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Same here, never hurt anyone and I blame the deer for the one totaled
> car. Anyone else in the world would have hit it in the same situation,
> except maybe you, Lanny the automotive Superman. ;-)

Hmph. I hit a deer once with my '68 Mustang. Definitely the deer's
fault--it had almost crossed the road, and I had plenty of room to pass
behind it. But then it turned around and doubled back. I'd slowed to
about 20 when it flung itself under my wheels. Didn't damage my car. I'm
always proud to be chosen as an agent of natural selection. :-)

> Do you agree or not agree that more stringent driving instruction, such
> as they have in Germany, would result in less vehicle accidents in the
> United States?

I used to. But now I'm not so sure I want to share the road with
teenagers in bass-thumping Hondas practicing their weight transfers
while talking on cellphones. Not everyone is cut out to be a race
driver. After all, *someone* has to fry all those burgers.

The world is a different place now. In my high school, the only kids
with their own cars were taking 12th grade for the third time. Even they
weren't allowed to park on the school grounds.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 11th 05, 02:48 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Hmph. I hit a deer once with my '68 Mustang. Definitely the deer's
> fault--it had almost crossed the road, and I had plenty of room to pass
> behind it. But then it turned around and doubled back. I'd slowed to
> about 20 when it flung itself under my wheels. Didn't damage my car. I'm
> always proud to be chosen as an agent of natural selection. :-)

I would certainly rather hit a deer at 20 mph in a 1968 Mustang than at
60 mph in a 1996 Miata.

> I used to. But now I'm not so sure I want to share the road with
> teenagers in bass-thumping Hondas practicing their weight transfers
> while talking on cellphones. Not everyone is cut out to be a race
> driver. After all, *someone* has to fry all those burgers.

I never suggested teaching people to be race car drivers, just the
opposite in fact. Anyone wanting to be a race car driver will learn from
a far better place than driver's education.

What I am talking about is at least having the teacher mention that you
should not slam on the brakes in a corner, how to counter-steer
properly, etc.

I agree that cell phones are a problem and as much as I hate adding new
laws, I think that using them while driving should be banned everywhere
for both teenagers and adults.

> The world is a different place now. In my high school, the only kids
> with their own cars were taking 12th grade for the third time. Even they
> weren't allowed to park on the school grounds.

It certainly is different. I didn't park on school grounds because they
could search your vehicle there at random, and my vehicle at that time
was a 1982 Ford Econoline with custom interior.
Parking down the street seemed wiser to me, and no, I did not go to
Ridgemont High. ;-)

Pat

What now?? (Clutch slave again) Eric Jeep 11 May 29th 05 06:38 AM
Clutch slipping. Clutch cyl or need a new clutch bobbob1015 BMW 6 May 21st 05 12:19 AM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM