ABS>>>So Confusing

Old April 10th 12, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo

Default ABS>>>So Confusing

I have a 2000 MX5 Miata, and had gotten my Insurance Company to reduce our
premium for our three vehicles by quite a bit, by driving so few miles on
all three (Being reteired). Paid my premium in full to Liberty Mutual for
both Home & Auto. Today in the mail get a couple of thank you letters, for
renewing, but after sending our mileage declaration back with the most
accurate odometer reading, my savings was reduced, PLUS they said that they
removed the ABS feature for my Miata. I asked why, being sure the car has
ABS. She said that the VIN number does not show ABS. I told her that it did.
So she credited back THAT $10. So I looked closer, the manual says SOME CARS
have ABS. My instrument panel shows a brake WARNING light, but NOT the ABS
light. The following site confused me even mo

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=347570

So I read that site, then decided to look under the hood myself. Still
wasn't sure, till I came upon the fuse block/holder that is under the hood.
The cover of that fuse block holder shows a 20A ABS fuse on its' cover. AND
when I opened it, that 20A fuse is in fact there, where the cover's diagram
designates it. So having that fuse, where the diagram shows ABS, does that
indicate that I in fact do have ABS. Obviously $10. is not that big a deal.
But I surely do not want to give them an excuse to deny a claim, being how
some insurance companies can be???!!!

TIA for any info

Old April 10th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo[_2_]

On Apr 9, 6:11*pm, "Ringo" > wrote:
> I have a 2000 MX5 Miata, and had gotten my Insurance Company to reduce our
> premium for our three vehicles by quite a bit, by driving so few miles on
> all three (Being reteired). Paid my premium in full to Liberty Mutual for
> both Home & Auto. Today in the mail get a couple of thank you letters, for
> renewing, but after sending our mileage declaration back with the most
> accurate odometer reading, my savings was reduced, PLUS they said that they
> removed the ABS feature for my Miata. I asked why, being sure the car has
> ABS. She said that the VIN number does not show ABS. I told her that it did.
> So she credited back THAT $10. So I looked closer, the manual says SOME CARS
> have ABS. My instrument panel shows a brake WARNING light, but NOT the ABS
> light. The following site confused me even mo
>
> http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=347570
>
> So I read that site, then decided to look under the hood myself. Still
> wasn't sure, till I came upon the fuse block/holder that is under the hood.
> The cover of that fuse block holder shows a 20A ABS fuse on its' cover. AND
> when I opened it, that 20A fuse is in fact there, where the cover's diagram
> designates it. So having that fuse, where the diagram shows ABS, does that
> indicate that I in fact do have ABS. Obviously $10. is not that big a deal.
> But I surely do not want to give them an excuse to deny a claim, being how
> some insurance companies can be???!!!

No one knows huh???

Old April 10th 12, 07:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Michael Bednarek[_2_]

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:11:03 -0700, "Ringo" > wrote in
rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:

[snip]
> So having that fuse, where the diagram shows ABS, does that
>indicate that I in fact do have ABS.

[snip]

Well, you could try. What happens when you break really hard on a wet
surface, preferrably in a bend? Can you feel the ABS doing its job?

--
Michael Bednarek, Brisbane "ONWARD"
Old April 10th 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo[_2_]

On Apr 9, 11:55*pm, Michael Bednarek > wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:11:03 -0700, "Ringo" > wrote in
> rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:
>
> [snip]> * * * * * * * So having that fuse, where the diagram shows ABS, does that
> >indicate that I in fact do have ABS.

> [snip]
>
> Well, you could try. What happens when you break really hard on a wet
> surface, preferrably in a bend? Can you feel the ABS doing its job?
>
> --
> Michael Bednarek, Brisbane * * * * * * * * * * * * "ONWARD"

My Wife's 97 Chevy Monte Carlo definitely has ABS (At least I think it
does>>LOL), and I could not tell you what it would feel like, when it
does its' thing :-).
Old April 12th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 4/10/2012 10:40 AM, Ringo wrote:
> On Apr 9, 11:55 pm, Michael > wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:11:03 -0700, > wrote in
>> rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:
>>
>> [snip]> So having that fuse, where the diagram shows ABS, does that
>>> indicate that I in fact do have ABS.

>> [snip]
>>
>> Well, you could try. What happens when you break really hard on a wet
>> surface, preferrably in a bend? Can you feel the ABS doing its job?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Bednarek, Brisbane "ONWARD"

> My Wife's 97 Chevy Monte Carlo definitely has ABS (At least I think it
> does>>LOL), and I could not tell you what it would feel like, when it
> does its' thing :-).

The majority of 90's full size Chevrolets used an ABS system (Bosch
type) which produces a slight "buzz" that the driver can feel in the
brake pedal when the ABS activates. The Chevrolet Cavalier used a less
expensive system that caused the driver to feel an abrupt loss and
resumption of braking effectiveness.
Old April 14th 12, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo[_2_]

On Apr 12, 2:37*pm, charlie > wrote:
> On 4/10/2012 10:40 AM, Ringo wrote:
>

> > On Apr 9, 11:55 pm, Michael > *wrote:
> >> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 18:11:03 -0700, > *wrote in
> >> rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:

> >> [snip]> * * * * * * * * So having that fuse, where the diagram shows ABS, does that

> >> [snip]

> >> Well, you could try. What happens when you break really hard on a wet
> >> surface, preferrably in a bend? Can you feel the ABS doing its job?

> >> --
> >> Michael Bednarek, Brisbane * * * * * * * * * * * * "ONWARD"

> > My Wife's 97 Chevy Monte Carlo definitely has ABS (At least I think it
> > does>>LOL), and I could not tell you what it would feel like, when it
> > does its' thing :-).

> The majority of 90's full size Chevrolets used an ABS system (Bosch
> type) which produces a slight "buzz" that the driver can feel in the
> brake pedal when the ABS activates. The Chevrolet Cavalier used a less
> expensive system that caused the driver to feel an abrupt loss and
> resumption of braking effectiveness.

Thanks. But the questions remains, does NOT having the little "ABS"
light on my instrument cluster, specifically the Tach, BUT YET have
the designated "ABS" 20A fuse, in that under the hood, fuse holder/
block, means that I have it or not :-)??
Old April 15th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 4/14/2012 11:10 AM, Ringo wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2:37 pm, > wrote:

>>> My Wife's 97 Chevy Monte Carlo definitely has ABS (At least I think it
>>> does>>LOL), and I could not tell you what it would feel like, when it
>>> does its' thing :-).

>> The majority of 90's full size Chevrolets used an ABS system (Bosch
>> type) which produces a slight "buzz" that the driver can feel in the
>> brake pedal when the ABS activates. The Chevrolet Cavalier used a less
>> expensive system that caused the driver to feel an abrupt loss and
>> resumption of braking effectiveness.

> Thanks. But the questions remains, does NOT having the little "ABS"
> light on my instrument cluster, specifically the Tach, BUT YET have
> the designated "ABS" 20A fuse, in that under the hood, fuse holder/
> block, means that I have it or not :-)??

Open hood. Look for a silver or aluminum box with five or so metal pipes
coming out on one side or top of the box. If it's not there, no ABS for you!
It's possible that the wiring harness and fuse were pre-installed, and
the build did not call for ABS. My 99 has an empty connector under the
dash for ABS, and no ABS. (It was built that way) About the only other
accessory not installed was heated seats. Don't really need them in
central Georgia!
Old April 15th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo[_2_]

On Apr 14, 7:34*pm, charlie > wrote:
> On 4/14/2012 11:10 AM, Ringo wrote:

> >> The majority of 90's full size Chevrolets used an ABS system (Bosch
> >> type) which produces a slight "buzz" that the driver can feel in the
> >> brake pedal when the ABS activates. The Chevrolet Cavalier used a less
> >> expensive system that caused the driver to feel an abrupt loss and
> >> resumption of braking effectiveness.

> > Thanks. But the questions remains, does NOT having the little "ABS"
> > light on my instrument cluster, specifically the Tach, BUT YET have
> > the designated "ABS" 20A fuse, in that under the hood, fuse holder/
> > block, means that I have it or not :-)??

> Open hood. Look for a silver or aluminum box with five or so metal pipes
> coming out on one side or top of the box. If it's not there, no ABS for you!
> It's possible that the wiring harness and fuse were pre-installed, and
> the build did not call for ABS. My 99 has an empty connector under the
> dash for ABS, and no ABS. (It was built that way) About the only other
> accessory not installed was heated seats. Don't really need them in
> central Georgia!

On the drivers or passenger side, under the hood??
Old April 15th 12, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jeroen Feelders[_2_]

Have a look at this picture from the miata.net forum:
http://www.harrisonindustrial.com/im...a/IMG_0159.JPG

The silver block is the ABS-regulator with the brakelines to all 4
wheels coming out on the top. No regulator? No ABS!

Jeroen
Technical Commissioner
Mazda MX-5 Club of the Netherlands
http://www.mx5club.nl
http://miata.feelders.com

Old April 15th 12, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 4/14/2012 11:51 PM, Ringo wrote:
> On Apr 14, 7:34 pm, > wrote:

>>> Thanks. But the questions remains, does NOT having the little "ABS"
>>> light on my instrument cluster, specifically the Tach, BUT YET have
>>> the designated "ABS" 20A fuse, in that under the hood, fuse holder/
>>> block, means that I have it or not :-)??

>> Open hood. Look for a silver or aluminum box with five or so metal pipes (brake lines)
>> coming out on one side or top of the box. If it's not there, no ABS for you!
>> It's possible that the wiring harness and fuse were pre-installed, and
>> the build did not call for ABS. My 99 has an empty connector under the
>> dash for ABS, and no ABS. (It was built that way) About the only other
>> accessory not installed was heated seats. Don't really need them in
>> central Georgia!

> On the drivers or passenger side, under the hood??

Exactly where under the hood varies, depending upon the exact year,
country, model, and so forth. You can certainly find the Master Brake
Cylinder, and brake lines from at least the front wheels. The ABS
connects to the lines from each wheel, as well as eventually to the
master cylinder.

On my 99, there is no ABS light, but there is a place for one, with no
visible markings. Again, there is a plethora of model dependent gauge
faces, as well as aftermarket ones.