flash-flash

Old December 9th 11, 06:24 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default flash-flash

So just how expensive is it likely to be when the 156JTD
glow-plug light starts flashing shortly after the engine
starts, and flashes away for about 30 seconds?

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old December 9th 11, 10:54 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 17:24:48 -0000, R C Nesbit > wrote:

>So just how expensive is it likely to be when the 156JTD
>glow-plug light starts flashing shortly after the engine
>starts, and flashes away for about 30 seconds?

If the glow plugs are failing, just get them *all* replaced. Mine cost
less than a well under a tenner each and were fine (contrary to scare
stories of using OEM plugs). Whole job (5 for me) was done by local
indy garage for about 75UKP IIRC.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old December 11th 11, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Zathras spoke:
> >So just how expensive is it likely to be when the 156JTD
> >glow-plug light starts flashing shortly after the engine
> >starts, and flashes away for about 30 seconds?

> If the glow plugs are failing, just get them *all* replaced. Mine cost
> less than a well under a tenner each and were fine (contrary to scare
> stories of using OEM plugs). Whole job (5 for me) was done by local
> indy garage for about 75UKP IIRC.

If that's what it is, I shall probably do them myself, once I get a
delivery of tuits.

I find working on the car a bit like working up to a trip to the
dentists - procrastinate until the pain becomes unbearable! ;^)

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old December 14th 11, 12:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 19:33:44 -0000, R C Nesbit > wrote:

>Zathras spoke:
>> >So just how expensive is it likely to be when the 156JTD
>> >glow-plug light starts flashing shortly after the engine
>> >starts, and flashes away for about 30 seconds?

>> If the glow plugs are failing, just get them *all* replaced. Mine cost
>> less than a well under a tenner each and were fine (contrary to scare
>> stories of using OEM plugs). Whole job (5 for me) was done by local
>> indy garage for about 75UKP IIRC.

>If that's what it is, I shall probably do them myself, once I get a
>delivery of tuits.

My only advice there is to be carefully and not snap one off flush or
below the block! for the small labour charge, I decided to let my
local indy take that risk.

>I find working on the car a bit like working up to a trip to the
>dentists - procrastinate until the pain becomes unbearable! ;^)

For certain things I'm more of a stitch in time man. The way I would
be thinking about this is that the glow plugs would go soft about the
same time as the battery would have a lot less stamina than new. Fiat
built an engine that can live without glow plugs down to very low
temperatures (sub zero). Can you see a combination of issues
assembling themselves, with wind/rain/snow where I am, to create
misery?

I'm also told that false teeth and fixadent are not nearly as good as
the factory fitted originals so I hop off to the dentist at the first
sign of trouble. YMMV.

Old December 28th 11, 06:18 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> Zathras spoke:
>> >So just how expensive is it likely to be when the 156JTD
>> >glow-plug light starts flashing shortly after the engine
>> >starts, and flashes away for about 30 seconds?

>> If the glow plugs are failing, just get them *all* replaced. Mine cost
>> less than a well under a tenner each and were fine (contrary to scare
>> stories of using OEM plugs). Whole job (5 for me) was done by local
>> indy garage for about 75UKP IIRC.

> If that's what it is, I shall probably do them myself, once I get a
> delivery of tuits.
>
> I find working on the car a bit like working up to a trip to the
> dentists - procrastinate until the pain becomes unbearable! ;^)
>
> --
> Rob Pearson
> 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
> 164 V6 Lusso (gone)
> 147 2.0TS lusso (Hers)

My experience was similar to Rob's. However, watch out for the diagnostic
scan scam. I checked mine with a multi-meter and established that one plug
gave no reisistance so took it in and told them, " Number 3 plug has gone,
please replace it. " I'd have done it myself only I don't have the right
size spanner. On the bill was Plug £10, Labour £20, Diagnostic scan £35,
plus vat on the lot.

It's cured now though. Mind, it started well enough on three, I just
couldn't put up with that damn light flashing!

TonyB

News Flash John Bradley Auto Photos 0 December 8th 09 04:36 PM
SCT Flash ? for my 07 GT Mustang gt500428 Ford Mustang 3 November 20th 07 07:45 PM
Flash websites [email protected] Technology 0 December 5th 06 04:15 PM
How to flash VIN to used PCM? [email protected] Chrysler 13 November 25th 06 04:20 AM
Can't get my C.E.L. flash code!! Lyle_s BMW 6 January 18th 05 11:27 AM